The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering the P45+ Achromatic

gerald.d

So it seems that finally I might have to think about a tethering solution.

Never felt the need for one with the IQ180 - the screen and focus mask has always been good enough.

But with the Achro+, and especially when shooting infrared, I'm thinking a solution for use when out and about would make a lot of sense.

I'm assuming that there are legacy laptops that would work - any recommendations as to the best option?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

kdphotography

Tethering USB3 to the Surface Pro 2 made the IQ260 Achromatic sooooo easy and fun to use. That's probably your only argument to get the IQ260 Achromatic!

Firewire seems so tempermental in contrast. I think your best options for the P45+ Achromatic will be a firewire to thunderbolt adapter if going Mac book Pro/Air. I think Firewire is dying and so new pc laptop options are probably limited at best.

I'd start here: Apple Thunderbolt Firewire Adapter Tests - DT Blog

And here, N i n e - V o l t

ken

Kabraxis

Hi
I use a Macbook Air 11' with C1, quite fast, quite small and very lightweight.

It is very good for checking the light balance and ok to check the focus. The P+ are backs are not that easy to focus in live view, especial outside. Most of the time you need a ND filter or close the aperture to get a normal picture. And a critical check for sharpness with f11 is not that easy.

Hope that helps
btw thanks for the quick reply Gerald

Pascal

gerald.d

Thanks guys - so a new one with the firewire>thunderbolt adapter would be better than an older MBP with firewire then?

I like the idea of the MBA 11" - light and small is good.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

cly

Like Pascal, I have and use a MBA 11" for tethering but today I think the 13" is the better option: more screen estate does make a substantial difference, it's much easier to spot, e.g., composition issues on the 13". And the battery capacity of the 13" is much better - as soon as you got to take a hyperjuice battery with you the weight advantage of the 11" is gone.

When it comes to weight and size the 11" is great but in the end the 13" is more useful, IMHO.

Chris