The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official MFD Owner - Hassy on the way!

jerome_m

On a side note... this thing shoots amazing portraits at ISO1600 inside! :ROTFL:
Actually, it does, but when you open the files with Phocus (Hasselblad's own software). Phocus comes with a very good noise reduction function.

Mario

I just downloaded Phocus right before you said that to see if their raw rendering is any better. I'm a major LR user and have dabbled in C1.

First hiccup is my flash trigger (RadioPopper) doesn't fit on the camera. The pin doesn't slide easily, and when it does it doesn't slide on all the way. Debating on whether I can get a riser (basically a hotshoe to hotshoe adapter) or just switch to something else.

When I finagle the pin with a screwdriver:

jerome_m

First hiccup is my flash trigger (RadioPopper) doesn't fit on the camera. The pin doesn't slide easily, and when it does it doesn't slide on all the way. Debating on whether I can get a riser (basically a hotshoe to hotshoe adapter) or just switch to something else.
Use the PC Sync port.

Mario

Thanks! Tried the PC sync port (labeled as Flash Out on the back). The remote flash triggers when the transmitter is plugged in indicating some sort of charge going through, however when I try to take a photo it never fires. Am I missing a menu setting to force it to use that port?

fotografz

I just downloaded Phocus right before you said that to see if their raw rendering is any better. I'm a major LR user and have dabbled in C1.

When I finagle the pin with a screwdriver:
Mario, IMO, take a look at the Profoto AIR Sync Transceiver set. Due to its' proprietary triggering protocol, it is the only radio system that'll allow you full leaf shutter sync at 1/800 on the Hasselblad (I also use up to 1/1000 on my Leica S2-P)

Do not know what lights you use, but you do NOT have to be using Profoto lighting to use the AIR system.

$420 for Profoto AIR Sync Kit with 2 Transceivers and cables, mounting accessories.

Profoto Air Sync Kit with Two Transceivers 901035 B&H Photo

Here are a couple of shots showing AIR in use. Another Photographer asked me to do a portrait session and we had fun equipping her with my gear … the Hassey shot of her holding the S2-P was using the HC210/4 (great lens!) … the Leica shot of her holding the Hasselblad & 210 was using the Leica S120 Macro (before I upgraded to the CS leaf-shutter version of this lens).

Note the Hassey shot showing the grip that frees up the hot shoe for TTL fill flash … it is a Kirk Grip with a ARCA QR. AIR is plugged into the side of the Hasselblad via a PC cord.

If you do not have a mono-pod, I suggest you get one. The RRS HD MonoPod head works great with the H camera.

BTW, LightRoom has all the Hasselblad HC and HCD lens profiles that were provided directly by Hasselblad. Phocus software is great, but I only used it for really "color critical" work usually when tethered in studio. I preferred LR for most everything else because the corrected files remained in the Library as RAWs … output of files in Phocus are tiffs.

- Marc

(Click on images for larger view)

Mario

Marc,

Great to know! Can't say thanks enough for the extended post. Will definitely check out the Profoto Air kit. Right now I am using AB Einsteins but would eventually like to switch to something like the Profoto B1 for my location work since I hardly work in the studio.

jerome_m

Thanks! Tried the PC sync port (labeled as Flash Out on the back). The remote flash triggers when the transmitter is plugged in indicating some sort of charge going through, however when I try to take a photo it never fires. Am I missing a menu setting to force it to use that port?
Use the PC connection on the left side of the camera body, hidden behind a captive rubber cover.

jerome_m

Mario, IMO, take a look at the Profoto AIR Sync Transceiver set. Due to its' proprietary triggering protocol, it is the only radio system that'll allow you full leaf shutter sync at 1/800 on the Hasselblad (I also use up to 1/1000 on my Leica S2-P)
Profoto certainly builds nice flashes, but I would suggest to use the correct PC port to get the radiopopper transceiver to work first. Getting a little less than "full leaf shutter sync" is not a very big deal, you may just lose a bit of flash power.

fotografz

I do not recall any special menu setting required.

Just to be remedial about it … are you connecting the PC cord to the camera body (not the back) … the PC port connection is located on the left side of the camera body and is covered by a captive round rubber plug when not in use. (see attached image)

There is a flash out port on the back also, but that is for when the back is used on a view camera by itself … which does require some menu settings.

If that still doesn't work, just to be safe … I'd check the PC port on your camera by directly hard wiring it to your strobe. Also try different shutter speeds … it should fire and sync at all shutter speeds up to and including 1/800.

I suggest you register as a Hasselblad owner on their site. It'll give you access to a lot of instructional videos and "Tips & Tricks" PDFs.

For example, here is a link to a PDF on the battery Handling:

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3374205/battery handling.pdf

Don't be a "typical guy" and avoid reading the manual … these cameras are wonders of engineering and do a lot of stuff that is VERY useful.

Here's the on-line manual for your camera:

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/1621687/h3dii_manual_uk_v6.pdf

-Marc

fotografz

Profoto certainly builds nice flashes, but I would suggest to use the correct PC port to get the radiopopper transceiver to work first. Getting a little less than "full leaf shutter sync" is not a very big deal, you may just lose a bit of flash power.
Yes, use the right PC port … ;)

Again Profoto AIR radio doesn't have to be used with Profoto strobes.

Full flash sync to 1/800 is pretty helpful in knocking back brighter backgrounds when working outdoors … especially since the H3D-II/31's lowest ISO is 100 and requires stopping down unless you can increase the shutter speed.

However, IF the Radio Poppers will sync at 1/500 with leaf-shutter, then you are right, the difference isn't much. I know nothing about Radio Poppers, or whether HHS is available on anything other than Canon or Nikon … or what they do with LS cameras.

- Marc

Mario

Got the trigger on the hotshoe with a bit of force and it's working great.

Looks like everything is syncing cleanly at 1/800s. Gonna do a few test portraits on location in a bit to give it a whirl.

Mario

Had a great time with the camera. Looks like it may have been damaged during shipping as the aux shutter is giving me some issues. Love the files. Tough time processing them and definitely going to take some work to get them where I want. But loving the look and loving the experience so far!

kdphotography

Since you already have the Einsteins, you should have no problem with wireless flash sync using the CSXCV transceiver for the Einstein, which runs a whopping $29 each, and the CST transmitter to trigger from the hotshoe. (Phase DF and IQ180 works fine up to 1/1600). Profoto B1s have their obvious advantages of being totally wireless with the internal battery.

pophoto

Do not know what lights you use, but you do NOT have to be using Profoto lighting to use the AIR system.

$420 for Profoto AIR Sync Kit with 2 Transceivers and cables, mounting accessories.

Profoto Air Sync Kit with Two Transceivers 901035 B&H Photo

Here are a couple of shots showing AIR in use. Another Photographer asked me to do a portrait session and we had fun equipping her with my gear … the Hassey shot of her holding the S2-P was using the HC210/4 (great lens!) … the Leica shot of her holding the Hasselblad & 210 was using the Leica S120 Macro (before I upgraded to the CS leaf-shutter version of this lens).

Note the Hassey shot showing the grip that frees up the hot shoe for TTL fill flash … it is a Kirk Grip with a ARCA QR. AIR is plugged into the side of the Hasselblad via a PC cord.

If you do not have a mono-pod, I suggest you get one. The RRS HD MonoPod head works great with the H camera.

BTW, LightRoom has all the Hasselblad HC and HCD lens profiles that were provided directly by Hasselblad. Phocus software is great, but I only used it for really "color critical" work usually when tethered in studio. I preferred LR for most everything else because the corrected files remained in the Library as RAWs … output of files in Phocus are tiffs.

- Marc

(Click on images for larger view)
The pretty lady definitely looks happier with the Leica S2-P! :p

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Marc-
You said the Profoto Air radios sync to 1/800 on leaf shutters. The description on the BH link you provided says in two places that they sync with leaf shutters at 1/500. That's still better than my Elinchrom Skyports, but not 1/800. Am I missing something? Nice thing about the Skyports is that they allow me to manipulate strobe power on my Quadras and controls the modeling lights. I suppose I could carry one of the Skyports in my pocket for that purpose.
Thanks, by the way, as always for you mini tutorials. I can't tell you how much you have taught me over the years.
tim

fotografz

Marc-
You said the Profoto Air radios sync to 1/800 on leaf shutters. The description on the BH link you provided says in two places that they sync with leaf shutters at 1/500. That's still better than my Elinchrom Skyports, but not 1/800. Am I missing something? Nice thing about the Skyports is that they allow me to manipulate strobe power on my Quadras and controls the modeling lights. I suppose I could carry one of the Skyports in my pocket for that purpose.
Thanks, by the way, as always for you mini tutorials. I can't tell you how much you have taught me over the years.
tim
Hi Tim,

You press and hold the mode button for 7 seconds and the Profoto AIR transceiver goes into fast transmit mode for very short sync speeds … up to 1/1000 with leaf-shutters. It stays that way until you turn off the unit. It then reverts back to normal up to 1/500. Obviously, you have to have a camera that offers leaf shutter speeds that high. Hasselblad H is 1/800 and Leica S is 1/1000. Phase One claims up to 1/1600 with their DF+ camera using the grip and LS lenses, but I do not know how they exceed the 1/1000 limit claimed by Profoto.

If using any strobe gear equipped with AIR Remote receiver, the Profoto AIR Remote transceiver allows control of the levels and modeling light from the camera. I have D1s with AIR built-in and my Hensel Porty 1200L has it built in also (Hensel makes a number of strobe solutions with Profoto AIR built-in). I can control a mix of Profoto and Hensel strobes with the AIR Remote Transceiver.

If the Profoto pack says it has Profoto AIR-S built-in, then it is sync only. The Profoto Acute 600B AIR-s Lithium is sync only because the controls are analog knobs. To trigger that pack, all that is needed is the Profoto AIR Sync unit … which doesn't have all the levels controls, and is less expensive.

BTW, thanks for the acknowledgment!

- Marc

wavecrestphoto

Hey Mario!
I recently went the same route and moved to H3DII-31. The camera is just wonderful to work with, and the files are fantastic! Feel free to get in touch if you need anything. One little item that may help with synch as you use strobe on location too - there is a camera custom menu function called true exposure. It makes small adjustments in the priority modes based on lens selection and shutter speed to offer fine tuned exposures and works well. The only trouble is when this feature is enabled, your top synch speed flash exposures will be underexposed even in manual mode. Seems to not allow the full strobe light in at speeds above 500th. It's mentioned in the manual in a really small place! When I do daylight balance at top speed I just disable the feature and all is well at any speed!
Enjoy!
Kevin

wavecrestphoto

On a related note, I just wanted to give a huge Thank You to Marc who has taken time out to answer with detail and experience so many questions from all of us newbies! His insight made the transition so much easier for me, and bolstered my confidence in making the move. Now that I've had some time with the system (2 months so far) I could not be happier! My Canon gear is seeing less use weekly :)
Thank You Marc!!

fotografz

Hey Mario!
I recently went the same route and moved to H3DII-31. The camera is just wonderful to work with, and the files are fantastic! Feel free to get in touch if you need anything. One little item that may help with synch as you use strobe on location too - there is a camera custom menu function called true exposure. It makes small adjustments in the priority modes based on lens selection and shutter speed to offer fine tuned exposures and works well. The only trouble is when this feature is enabled, your top synch speed flash exposures will be underexposed even in manual mode. Seems to not allow the full strobe light in at speeds above 500th. It's mentioned in the manual in a really small place! When I do daylight balance at top speed I just disable the feature and all is well at any speed!
Enjoy!
Kevin

Kevin, what transmitter are you using? FYI, most top out at 1/500 sync with leaf-shutter lenses.

If it is the Profoto AIR, to go above 1/500 you have to set the transceiver to "Speed-Mode" by pressing and holding the mode button for 7 seconds.

- Marc