The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC Calibration Tool Alternative

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is an alternative solution to Phase One LCC filter?

Would something like ExpoDisk or any other white balance filter work as well?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes , you can use the (neutral) EXPO DISC as an LCC filter .
That filter requires a 2 1/2 stop correction . IMO , not very practical , when you want to keep your aperture setting .
I can't speak for the EXPO 2.0 and could not find a hint on their homepage .
I am using an Acryl milkglas filter which requires a 2 stop correction .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I don't know what EXPO's new mounting design is like , but I must say , that
the SKGrimes Snap-On design works great for me . Especially my self made ones , of course .:clap:

Yes , you can use the (neutral) EXPO DISC as an LCC filter .
That filter requires a 2 1/2 stop correction . IMO , not very practical , when you want to keep your aperture setting .
I can't speak for the EXPO 2.0 and could not find a hint on their homepage .
I am using an Acryl milkglas filter which requires a 2 stop correction .
So, by "2 stop correction" do you mean you must overexpose to compensate for the filter?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I personally just buy the Capture Integration LCC plates because they're conveniently sized, have a useful lanyard attached and work really well for $20.

However, Jack did do some investigative work to find an alternative cheap LCC that only required a single stop of correction (i.e. none required most of the time). Here's the thread:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/31069-lcc-plates.html

To cut to the chase, you can just either order a sample (4in x 4in - perfect) or get LCC's cut to other sizes here:
Translucent and Opaque Colored Cast Acrylic : TAP Plastics

You want Sign Lighting White 40% 1/8th Color Cast Acrylic.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I personally just buy the Capture Integration LCC plates because they're conveniently sized, have a useful lanyard attached and work really well for $20.

However, Jack did do some investigate work to find an alternative cheap LCC that only required a single stop of correction (i.e. none required most of the time). Here's the thread:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/31069-lcc-plates.html

To cut to the chase, you can just either order a sample (4in x 4in - perfect) or get LCC's cut to other sizes here:
Translucent and Opaque Colored Cast Acrylic : TAP Plastics

You want Sign Lighting White 40% 1/8th Color Cast Acrylic.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the links! Great stuff.

weinlamm

Since some time I use 45% plexiglas in 2 and 3mm, too (1 Euro+shipping). Nearly perfect most time and only somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 stops downs.
But I don't make a shoot after every picture - I have a collection of different moves in 5 degree-steps. Nearly 99% are in the quality, where I could finde something in my collection. Only for 1% I have the need to go to b&w later or make it later at home again with remembered settings.

But if I know, I have very important pictures to take - I make a LCC after every shoot. With this I never had a problem.

Paul2660

Two of the best alternatives I have seen:

1. The smaller LCC plate sold by Capture Integration. Perfect to fit in a shirt pocket and works on most of the tech lenses even with CF installed. 28mm Rod with CF I believe is the only lens it won't work with. Comes with a neck strap and you can wear it and not have to worry about losing it.

2. Guy Mancuso listed a company in a post over a year ago that sold the same type of material. It's not as bright white as the Phase One plate, but neither is the CI. I purchased several of these and had them cut to fit the Lee holder. They are just a bit too thick but it's easy to take a file and bevel the edges down. So when I have the Lee system (not using the wide angle hood) I can just keep it in place and put the LCC card in. The CI is the right thickness, but just a bit narrow. You can actually slide it in the Lee holder but you have to keep your hand on it.

3. When I have the Lee Wide Angle Hood on, I use the Phase One Large sheet, and hold in place on the front of the hood with back spring clips you can purchase at any office products store. The Phase One LCC plate is perfect in the width to the opening of the Lee Wide angle hood, and is just a bit shy of covering the tops and bottom but you won't have any problems.

One other note:

IF the sun is at an at angle to your LCC sheet, where the sun can hit the edge, you may get into a situation where you have to hold your hand over the edge. Since the plates are translucent the 1/8" edge can get hit by the sun at certain angles and pollute the LCC with a brighter spot on the side. Capture One can't correct for this most times. This is why I created the LCC plate that will fit in the Lee holder as the black edge of the Lee holder prevents this.

Paul

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the LEE filter caps on all of my lenses. However, when you shoot an LCC with them you'll get a ring in the center and I would assume that this would result in irregular light fall off correction. I thought about going this way since I always have them on the lenses but I assumed that you would need an LCC that provided an even field for correct calibration.