The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GeoTagging Images with Phase One IQ2 Series

f8orbust

Hadn't really paid much attention to this feature - probably because I don't own an IQ2 :(. Why didn't they just embed the GPS receiver in the DB itself rather than having to rely on another device? iPhone battery goes flat - no more geotagging. You can buy cat collars with GPS for less than $50, so I'm guessing it wasn't the direct cost? Maybe the cost of redesigning the case / electronics?

Steve Hendrix

Hadn't really paid much attention to this feature - probably because I don't own an IQ2 :(. Why didn't they just embed the GPS receiver in the DB itself rather than having to rely on another device? iPhone battery goes flat - no more geotagging. You can buy cat collars with GPS for less than $50, so I'm guessing it wasn't the direct cost? Maybe the cost of redesigning the case / electronics?
I'm sure there was a consideration - and likely a decision - based on the costs, whether they were financial costs or performance costs or both. Which, as you say, could have meant an impact on the chassis design or at least on where things inside the chassis would go, and that could have prompted some concerns over a less desirable position or placement for a component they deemed more important. Or something. There's so many design and capability decisions that go into a product like this.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration