Site Sponsors

Thread: Good news for Pentax 645D owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news for Pentax 645D owners

The news that many of us have been waiting for....new FA lenses will be sold in the USA.

FA-Series 645 Lenses to be Sold in the US - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

More specs on the new 645DII, which apparently will be called the 645z, selling for $8,500.

Pentax 645z detailed specifications | Photo Rumors

Gary
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good news for Pentax 645D owners

This is great news for all our US Pentaxian friends, finally Pentax US did the right thing

Now, I am looking forward to the 645Z announcement tomorrow... and hope for the new WA zoom lens to be announced too, we definitely could use it.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

What are your thoughts on it?

Assuming it shares the same CMOS as the Phase and Hassy?

Part of me is like 'yay, much cheaper entry to MF, boo crop sensor, yay high iso performace, boo are the lenses any good'.

I don't know how to feel about it. The price is tempting and within reach for many, including me.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    .......... boo are the lenses any good'.

I don't know how to feel about it. The price is tempting and within reach for many, including me.
    Chris,
    Most people are happy with the lenses. Gary can give you his experience comparing Pentax and Zeiss lenses (I know he has both, along with a lot of other gear ). Pentax has been in the MF business for a long time, I'm surprised this question keeps reappearing. Anyway, here's an old discussion of the FA 35mm vs. its Zeiss and Mamiya counterparts:

Pentax 645 FA 35mm Review

Ironically, most 645D users prefer the older 35mm A.

Tom
    Last edited by tsjanik; 13th April 2014 at 06:17.

Post Thanks / Like

SAFOX11 AF system, 27 point (25 cross type), LW -3 - +18

I did not think this was possible in MFD?

The specs of this camera seem to be amazing, I hope the official camera launch is also amazing!
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not a deal breaker but I'm disappointed to see Flash Sync speed at 1/125 sec.
    Otherwise wow, the spec are amazing!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could be a MF game changer for some folks.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Chris,
    Most people are happy with the lenses. Gary can give you his experience comparing Pentax and Zeiss lenses (I know he has both, along with a lot of other gear ). Pentax has been in the MF business for a long time, I'm surprised this question keeps reappearing.
    Tom
    While I do have many legacy Pentax 645 and 67 lenses and quite a few Hasselblad Zeiss V-system lenses, I haven't used any of them often enough on my 645D to offer any useful impressions.

On the other hand, Dave (D&A) has done us all a great service with his extensive testing of Pentax 645 FA and A lenses posted on GetDPI here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...used-645d.html

I know there are many other current 645D owners who can offer their impressions of the Pentax 645 & 67 lenses too.

A 645D owner on the Pentax MF forum has tested some P645 and Hasselblad Zeiss lenses and posted his impressions here (hopefully it's ok for me to post this link to another forum):

645D with Hasselblad V-System Lenses - PentaxForums.com

Gary

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pentax, my wallet is watching your every move with increasing fear

This looks like a very interesting camera
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The availability of FA lenses in the US is great news. Is it too much to hope for that Pentax may reopen their repair facility in Colorado?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Not a deal breaker but I'm disappointed to see Flash Sync speed at 1/125 sec.
    Otherwise wow, the spec are amazing!
    Hi,

Pentax do have two leaf shutter lens in 75mm/2.8 LS and 135mm/4 LS. Sync speed can be up to 1/500sec.

Just FYI.

laopai

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMO, this is a game changer.

While I understand that Hassey or Phase (as well as Leica) offer more digital spec optics and leaf-shutter solutions, @ $8,500 for these specifications it has got to make MFD users think twice about shelling out 3X to 4X more.

If I were not committed to my current kit, or was just moving into MFD … this is the first place I would look.

If Pentax reverse engineered an adapter for Leica S, Contax 645 and Hasselblad H lenses (the way Leica did), I'd be on this camera like white on rice … and for sure I would not be alone.

It is really getting old upgrading every 2 to 4 years at MFD prices. I don't mind paying a premium for lenses, but this obsolete business model has to change.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope they come with good tethering and RAW processing solution that can rival Capture One. Otherwise, it looks like most logical MFD option at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO it's a game changer price-wise, but not for lens adaptability. The lenses Marc mentiones all have shorter flange focal distance. For that we would need a Sony mirrorless

Right now the Leica S is the way to go for adapting MF lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    IMO it's a game changer price-wise, but not for lens adaptability. The lenses Marc mentiones all have shorter flange focal distance. For that we would need a Sony mirrorless

Right now the Leica S is the way to go for adapting MF lenses.
    Well, that's too bad. It'd be interesting to use the HC-100/2.2 on this camera like I can with the Leica S2-P.

Still a nice kit for a great price.

So, what will the previous one sell for used? That could be a great entry level camera to get into MFD. That 40 meg sensor is no slouch.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by laopai View Post
    Hi,

Pentax do have two leaf shutter lens in 75mm/2.8 LS and 135mm/4 LS. Sync speed can be up to 1/500sec.

Just FYI.

laopai
    There is also the manual focus 90 and 165 f2.8 LS lenses from the Pentax 67 line. I personally prefer the build quality and feel of using the Pentax 67 lenses.

And of course all of the Hasselblad Zeiss V system lenses are LS options.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Well, that's too bad. It'd be interesting to use the HC-100/2.2 on this camera like I can with the Leica S2-P.

Still a nice kit for a great price.

So, what will the previous one sell for used? That could be a great entry level camera to get into MFD. That 40 meg sensor is no slouch.

- Marc
    Absolutely! I feel the same way, if I weren't invested in the S2 already, I'd give this a long hard look if I were looking to get into MF on a tight budget. The older, CCD version is listed for € 5.999 new.

Still, I'm more than happy to be in the Leica S camp with CS lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

As everyone has already expressed, this is certainly big news for both exisiting and potentially new users of MFD and especially for those already entrenched the Pentax 645/645D system. The availability of legacy Pentax 645 lenses in markets outside of Japan answers some of the concerns of those who hesitated to commit to the syetm, due to lack of available lenses. It's interesting to note the selling prices of these lenses new isn't considerably more than their last selling price in the US market when import had ceased quite a few years ago. What's interesting is the high(er) costs of some of the telephoto's, such as the 300 f5.6 and I suspect that's why the exceptional performing and relatively fast FA 300 f4 lenses may not be offered due to its prohibitive cost to manufacturer.

Like Mark and others, I too had hoped Pentax would have offered adapters to other manufacturers MF lenses but now that they are making legacy lenses available again, this at least partially addresses the issue.

Thanks ever so much Gary for mentioning my comprehensive lens tests of Pentax 645 lenses on the 645D and for providing the link. I have to ask Bob and Jack if it's possible to add text to that lenses testing report to included others more recent lens introductions and testing I've performed since that initial posting.

Like others I'm excited by the specs of the new camera (645z) and its certainly a game changer and can't wait till its put through its paces by initial users. No doubt things like better high ISO capability is a given but I'm extremely anxious to see how it's base ISO imagery with its new CMOS sensor compares to the CCD based 645D (at base ISO). For some this is still an important consideration with regards to "the look" of image output and no amount of new features completely negates the importance of this. An analogous example would be the CCD based Leica M9 vs. the current CMOS based Leica M240.

Still I have great excitement for what this new camera is capable of doing.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does Pentax offers any Tilt Shift lens or Tilt Shift adapter which can be used on Pentax 645z?

I have seen one of the great pro landscape photographer to use one of the Pentax zoom lens with Tilt Shift adapter on Nikon D800e. He is very happy with the setup. He also owns IQ180 + DF, he is not into Technical Camera by choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pentax had up some shift lenses in the 67 series. I owned the 75mm but it was not very good on shifts.

Zork makes adapters with shift but I don't think they have one that will work on the Pentax 645 system. Mounting other 645 lenses will loose infinity focus.

Don't know if you could use the Canon 17TS-E on the Pentax.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    Does Pentax offers any Tilt Shift lens or Tilt Shift adapter which can be used on Pentax 645z?

I have seen one of the great pro landscape photographer to use one of the Pentax zoom lens with Tilt Shift adapter on Nikon D800e. He is very happy with the setup. He also owns IQ180 + DF, he is not into Technical Camera by choice.
    Zoerk supplies a tilt shift adapter for the 645:

Zörk Pro Shift adapter

Which zoom? The 67 55-100 is excellent, but very heavy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Zoerk supplies a tilt shift adapter for the 645:

Zörk Pro Shift adapter

Which zoom? The 67 55-100 is excellent, but very heavy.
    I believe that Zork uses Pentax 67 lenses to adapt to a 645 camera. Problem is the 67 lenses IMO don't have the resolution to handle a lot of shift.

What would be great would be a Zork adapter allowing shift/tilt with Pentax FA or older MF lenses but you most likely would lose infinity focus.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I believe that Zork uses Pentax 67 lenses to adapt to a 645 camera. Problem is the 67 lenses IMO don't have the resolution to handle a lot of shift. ......

Paul
    Paul:

You're correct about needing a 67 lens, but I disagree with your resolution comments. I have a number (20+) of 645 and 67 lenses. Among the lenses I've used, the 67 55-100mm, 55mm, 75mm AL and 300mm M*are exceptional and would be fine with shifting.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Problem is the 67 lenses IMO don't have the resolution to handle a lot of shift.
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

Why do you think this is so? I don't know anything about the special requirements for tilt-shift, but I've generally been impressed with the quality of many Pentax 67 lenses and I don't think Pentax 645 FA or A lenses are significantly better (if at all).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I guess V lenses should be the best compromise to use with a TS adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Hi Paul,

Why do you think this is so? I don't know anything about the special requirements for tilt-shift, but I've generally been impressed with the quality of many Pentax 67 lenses and I don't think Pentax 645 FA or A lenses are significantly better (if at all).

Gary
    Hello Gray

Back in the days I carried the Zork TS for Pentax I tried both the 45mm and 75mm shift, both 67 lenses that you could mount on the Zork with the Pentax 67 to 645 adapter. I just was never impressed with either lens but loved the 35mm FA and 45 AF both 645 lenses. Had the 150mm also. This was on Canon. IdsMKII, MKIII, and 5DMKII.

The 645 lenses were excellent shifting lenses on the Zork and much lighter.

Still wish I had the 35mm FA

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the info and explanation Paul. I didn't realize you were comparing the P67 lenses with the Zork TS adapter on a Pentax 645 to using the P645 lenses on 35mm Canon DSLRs. I think the original question from subrata1965 was re using tilt shift lenses or lenses with a TS adapter on a 645z. I wonder if there is a TS adapter for P645 lenses on a P645 camera?

Figured I might try one of the Zork P67 to P645 TS adapters myself until I saw the price...$2,199. On second thought...maybe not.

I agree that the Pentax 645 35mm lens is excellent, although I have the manual focus A version (here mounted on my 645NII), not the FA version.

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 15th April 2014 at 00:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Hands-on preview available at dpreview:

Hands on with the Pentax 645Z: Digital Photography Review

I am lucky to have a tech cam + IQ160 back. That fills all my MF-lust. Otherwise, I would be tempted. Very tempted :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Daym!

Pentax's New Medium Format 645Z Packs a 51MP CMOS Sensor and Max ISO 204,800

And so why the jump in ISO for the same sensor as in the Phase and Hassy?
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Thanks for the info and explanation Paul. I didn't realize you were comparing the P67 lenses with the Zork TS adapter on a Pentax 645 to using the P645 lenses on 35mm Canon DSLRs. I think the original question from subrata1965 was re using tilt shift lenses or lenses with a TS adapter on a 645z. I wonder if there is a TS adapter for P645 lenses on a P645 camera?

Figured I might try one of the Zork P67 to P645 TS adapters myself until I saw the price...$2,199. On second thought...maybe not.

I agree that the Pentax 645 35mm lens is excellent, although I have the manual focus A version (here mounted on my 645NII), not the FA version.

Gary

I still have that lens. When I got my 645D I purchased a 35A and a 35FA. Tested both and at landscape distances (∞) the 35A (MF) was much better. So I kept the 35A. Tried to sell it last year after I sold the 645D. No one bought it. I suspect it is going to be worth more now that the 645Z is out. It is the best wide angle for landscapes on the Pentax since it is small, light, sharp and easy to filter (77mm) and less than $1000 used (for now). Other than the uber expensive 25mm (which is a PITA to filter) the 35mmA is basically the only wide angle choice for landscapes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There has been considerable discussion regarding the performance of the autofocus FA 35mm 645 lens vs. it's manual focus counterpart, the A35mm 645. After testing additional samples of each (since my initial testing of these lenses), I've observed a number of basic things.

There is more sample to sample variation in performance with the FA version than the A version. Since the FA version exhibits fairly extensive field curvature (especially at longer subject distances), it's critical to AF fine tune each individual FA version on the 645D to achieve the best compromise between center and side resolution. Setting in a bit of back focus in the FA version thru AF fine tuning, does help the FA lens achieve better edge to edge sharpness at infinity as does shooting distance landscapes well stopped down. At closer range the FA is extremely sharp even at f4.5-5.6

Just a observation when testing out a number of samples of both the newer D FA 25mm 645 lens and the DA 25mm 645 lens. They both too exhibit field curvature and therefore shooting distance landscapes requires the lens to be well stopped down to overcome this by increasing the depth of field.

Therefore if one is shooting general flat field subjects, the 35mm A version will achieve better edge to edge performance by virtue of sharper sides and corners when shooting long distance relatively flat field subjects.

If the subject being shots contains elements of both near, far and midrange, the 35mm FA version then actually outresolves the A version. It's a tradeoff. At closer subject distances, I have found the edge goes to the FA. If one is shooting a lot of distant landscapes that contain considerable detail at the sides and edges in the general smaple plane of focus, I would opt for the A version. Alternately if one was shooting a wide variety of subjects at various distances with elements not in the same plane of focus, especially if side elements were at closer range, the FA lens would be my lens of choice. It also exhibits a somewhat less CA in bright sunlight.

I've often wondered if the curvature of the front element used on the FA was responsible for the field curvature it exhibits, especially at longer distances. The A 35mm lens has a considerably flatter front glass.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Also, used prices on Pentax 645 A and FA lenses were and still are low but they are rising quickly and will see a large increase very very soon (in a few days to a week). Now is the time to get them. Mainly due to this: