The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z - oh boy!

D&A

This post reflects the Present and Future, here is a brief account of the PAST !

We sure have come a long way !

Enjoy this Video

Jai

ps : Love the way Hasselblad is pronounced !!
Agree, we've come a long way but at the same time, some things never change or in other words....a lot is still similar to today!

Dave (D&A)

Ed Hurst

LOL! After so many dissertation length postings (I'm not referring to anyone but myself) regarding thoughts of the new 645Z and Ricoh/Pentax marketing and support of the 645 system, along comes a gentleman (Ed), a man of few but meaningful words about simply waiting to see if the new 645Z lives up to its "on paper" potential. Either Ed is very smart and pragmatic or he's simply too exhausted to type very much these days, having now been up countless of nights with his adorable lovely newborn. Then again maybe its a mixture of both :). Well done Ed!

Dave (D&A)

Hello Dave :)

I wish I could say that the primary explanation is the former, but in fact, it's mainly the presence of my adorable, lovely newborn. I just haven't had time to devote to photography itself or discussing it of late. Amusingly, it has proven to concentrate the mind on what matters most in those spheres - I ended up saying in two lines what I would previously have said in an essay (which just goes to show I didn't have much of consequence to say!) ;-)

That said, I have enjoyed scanning everyone else's thoughtful and insightful contributions. It's clear that this camera has shaken things up before it has even been launched. Let's hope it continues to do so once it has (though my bank manager may not agree!).

All the best,

Ed

D&A

Ed, one of the most facinanting things is yet to come....the merging of two wonderful worlds. As you little one grows day by day, the desire to photograph every moment also grows...so that your love of photography combines with the love of capturing every wonderful minute with your new little one. It truly doesn't get better than that! Of course when they ask to borrow the keys to the car...that will become a different story....LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Ed Hurst

That is certainly true. And it's an arena in which high ISO and multiple AF points will be advantageous ;-)

Look at Ken R: it was the Pentax 645D, at their attractive cost of entry, that brought him into medium format, but he ended up selling it and getting a Phase One. Would he have tried the (more expensive) Phase One system if he hadn't waded into the waters more gently with the Pentax first? I guess you'd have to ask him, but my bet is no. Many of our customers are like this. They end up with an IQ180 or similar as a result of a "gateway" system (D800, Pentax 645, entry-level p1 back) which whets their pallets for better image quality.

Dante's inferno indeed.
Isn't it two way traffic? Don't we have enough examples where people moved from Phase to D800 as their main camera as well?

Additional variables beyond lens quality:
- dark frame technology
- raw processing

Both are very important especially at the fringes (especially high ISO or especially long exposures). The guys who developed the IQ250 hardware are down the hall from, work with, drink with, and otherwise tightly coordinate with the guys making the software. The software guys at C1 also have a very strong incentive to spend lots of extra time tweaking C1's processing of IQ250 files to get the very most out of the files, and they had access to prototype samples for months before the launch (see the Phase One IQ250 story I wrote).

For a more valid comparison you'd want to wait until you can run raws through LR to compare. Only time will tell how much time Adobe spends on catering their processing to get the most out of those raw files.
Despite having so talented engineers (hardware & software) Phase can't deliver focus peaking which Sony & Pentax can do?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Despite having so talented engineers (hardware & software) Phase can't deliver focus peaking which Sony & Pentax can do?
I think that this is probably a little unfair because this really requires a new camera system than the DF/DF+ with EVF. Until then, no amount of talent is going to make the DF+ show focus peaking.

Now the Live View on the IQ250 showing focus peak - well that does sound like something that we'd hope that they could manage at some point.

fotografz

Isn't it two way traffic? Don't we have enough examples where people moved from Phase to D800 as their main camera as well?
You are probably right in this observation. Not only moved from MFD to cameras like the D800 and A7R, but there are probably also a number of folks that never "moved up" to MFD because of higher resolution 35mm cameras.

We cannot forget that the lingering effects of a struggling economy bring a certain level of "reality" to all this. Pro or advanced amateur, money talks. Paying 10X more for a Phase One is a sobering consideration to say the least. Even 3X more for the Pentax (plus new lenses) is no small matter for many these days.

Conditions in life have a nasty habit of changing. Based on my anecdotal experiences with friends, colleagues, and some folks here on GetDpi (including myself), when life butts in financially, the first thing to photographically go is the MFD system.

To me this says it is a luxury for some (maybe even many), not a dire necessity.

Or the "necessity" has changed.

- Marc

gazwas

To me this says it is a luxury for some (maybe even many), not a dire necessity.

Or the "necessity" has changed.
I do sometimes wonder if the luxury market is indeed the majority target audience for MFD manufacturers today (PODAS events, Lunar, Limited edition models)?

Value has very little bearing in this market but an endorsement goes a long way.

robertwright

It is unfortunate that the whole economy has moved in this direction- but that is a subject for another forum- I do see and feel that photographic community which used to be a solidly middle to upper middle class group who could afford very good medium format film gear and Lf film gear which lasted for decades has now shrunk and is struggling under a flat middle economy.

While there are opportunities to take vendors in-house (digital printing, bookmaking retouching etc) enabled by digital, the big loss has been in the affordability of mf gear.

The mf manufacturers are not dummies and have their market research in hand, and just like cars, watches, etc, other luxury goods, the support is growing at the top not in the middle.

Whether or not that continues is another question. If Phase was publicly traded I would not own their stock:) nor Hassy etc. no matter that I like their products.

So even tho we have a kind of moore's law equation going on with increased performance each generation there is not much trickle down because the mf companies would risk profits to sell at lower margins. Kind of a monkey/banana/bars problem. Dropping the product price by half would not I don't believe grow the market that much considering that prosumers might only top out at full frame dslr prices, and even that market is shrinking.

So they probably are doing the right thing by keeping margins healthy and banking the cash for stormy weather.

I do sometimes wonder if the luxury market is indeed the majority target audience for MFD manufacturers today (PODAS events, Lunar, Limited edition models)?

Value has very little bearing in this market but an endorsement goes a long way.

torger

I think there's more money to earn with volume. Mf will be a niche due to the very high quality possible with smaller formats, but I think the niche is kept unnecessary small due to the current business model. I also think Phase One and Hasselblad are too small to be able to change. They will succeed in price insensitive markets or go under.

Anyway the success or failure of the new Pentax will tell us if more affordable MF works or not.

shlomi

If when you're in financial trouble you sell your MFD, I think it means you're not a pro.
If this is the system that makes you money, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sell it. I don't think moving to 35mm will grow anyone business.

It would seem Pentax made a very nice camera.
But is there a complete super high quality eco system?
From what I've read (yes, now please tell me that only those who've had the thing in their hands are allowed to comment on it) - from what I've read I understand most of the glass is not up to par with P1/H. Does Pentax have the resources or the inclination to complete the system with competitive quality glass? Time will tell. I think they will not, I think they plan to be above 35mm and below P1/H.

Very very good glass seems like a requirement for someone making an investment in a pro system.
I believe we will see more people dipping their feet in the MFD pool and churning 50mp images for a Canon like investment. But as long as the glass is behind, I don't think it will affect the high end business very much.
The galavanting billionaire enjoys his gold-plated ALPA.
The sweaty pro needs his images to pop.
I think it will take a bigger chunk from Canon/Nikon than from P1/H.

torger

A camera doesn't make you money, your images do.

You don't necessarily need 80 megapixels to make strong images, and if you don't reducing equipment cost can be a smart move.

If you need your images to pop - learn post-processing.

The camera is the least important component for successful image making, unless your genre is very special, like art reproduction.

shlomi

You clearly didn't meet the client who counts the pixels, or the client who compares the sharpness of your files to his previous project.

You can find plenty of strong images on instagram - that doesn't mean anyone's paid for them.

shlomi

Torger, if my memory serves me correctly, you are an amateur.
Do you make most of your living from photography?
What makes you think the "strong image" is what pays the bills?

A camera system is a work tool, or a fun tool, depending on who buys it.

If you give your clients photoshopped files from inferior glass - do you really think they will come back and send their friends?

fotografz

I think there's more money to earn with volume. Mf will be a niche due to the very high quality possible with smaller formats, but I think the niche is kept unnecessary small due to the current business model. I also think Phase One and Hasselblad are too small to be able to change. They will succeed in price insensitive markets or go under.

Anyway the success or failure of the new Pentax will tell us if more affordable MF works or not.
Oh, I don't think it'll fail. It is too good for that price. Depends on what Pentax expects of it. I know Leica had smaller expectations for the S system at first, but pretty quickly exceeded that.

I'm not sure volume is the way to salvation for photographers these days. I think maybe diversification is.

More and more volume production situations are being brought in-house by manufacturers, and now even smaller to mid-size ad agencies are looking at cataloging type work as a potential profit center because they are also being squeezed. Trust me, they do not pay their photography staff very much considering what it'd cost to use a more experienced shooter.

In past, a studio could pay the over-head with the production work and allow solicitation of higher end jobs with facilities to service that type of client.

Personally, I never shelled out very much capital for MFD equipment. When commercial work transitioned from film to digital, it was common to charge a digital capture fee as a line expense for each job. Usually the equivalent of renting the gear needed. This was actually a bargain for clients because the cost of film, processing and scanning could be $40 to $70 a shot … a 100 piece catalog could easily run them $5,000+.

On average, those fees paid for my MFD kit in about 2 years (sooner for others), then I'd upgrade, and apply the fees against that.

That business model has all but disappeared as photographers cut each other's throat to get work. Only the top shooters get away with it now or bake it into their usage fees, and often actually do just rent the gear.

It's tough out there.

- Marc

torger

Me being an amateur does not mean that I lack the ability to observe, and I both observe and discuss with professional photgraphers. I dare to say that the client that count pixels is a minority, but I'm sure they exist and obviously you meet them, so you probably need MFD then and the clients can surely pay for that cost.

However for most it's about general printing needs, and those printing needs have not changed much since the best MF were at 22 megapixels not many years ago.

As an example I know of a very successful Swedish architectural photographer that has MFD tech cam (Sinar Artec), but it sits on a shelf as the D800 with tilt-shift lenses reached the quality level needed for his professional work and he found the workflow to be more convenient, and his artistic work is mostly made on large format film rather than digital.

Many instead use MFD from personal reasons, they appreciate the quality themselves, but actually don't need it for satisfying their customers. And then there are different personalities, some want the best because they just like to use the best, and some don't want to spend more money on (any type of) gear than needed and instead get more profit. The same can be seen when it comes to picking a car for professional tasks, some pick the most cost effective alternative that does the job, others pick something extra because they know they will be driving it and like to have something extra. I would not call the more economical person the less professional one... some are just more gear junkies than others :)

There's also the special feature needs though, if you're used to high sync speed and use it all the time, you probably want to keep that, and that you happen to have 80 megapixels is because you followed the upgrade path for the system, not that you actually need that level of sharpness. Resolution aside, there are still aspects of the Hassy and 645DF systems that this Pentax can't do.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
NEVER had a problem with my S .... am on my second body. The M digitals were a bit rough ... not so with the S.

And with service plan that supplies a loaner overnight in most of the Western world if I did it would be covered.

And while it may not be 80 MP it meets and exceeds most needs....

Just wish they made a removable back in addition to the unibody.

JMHO.

Bob