The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z - oh boy!

iiiNelson

"I have an IQ 160 with a phase one 645df body and some LS lenses and that is why i come to that conclusion. CAPTURE ONE PRO supports almost any camera that is not MF ."

So based on your use of an IQ160 back you have concluded that C1 supports anything other than MF? I'd thought C1 supported the IQ160. Good to learn something new.
I took that to mean any MF system not under the Phase umbrella (Phase, Mamiya, or Leaf.)

pophoto

Handled the 645z today with the 33-55 lens. Nice camera and image quality seems to be pretty good. It's on the short list of cameras I'm interested in since they're importing new lenses again.
Where were you able to get hold of one?

Thanks!
Po

iiiNelson

Where were you able to get hold of one?

Thanks!
Po
A bit more since I'm not on my iPhone now.

Pentax reps just happened to be at the local camera store (Southeastern Camera - Raleigh, NC) yesterday when I was dropping off images to be printed. The camera seems to be slightly heavier than the 645D but it's pretty much the same size. The articulating screen is a nice addition. the camera locks on pretty fast and accurately from what I can tell (quickly going from locking on people about 30-45 feet away to objects within 3 feet.) The reps only had the 33-55 with them but the store had the 645D, 55 SDM, and 45-85 in the rental department to compare the camera with. In limited time and very little familiarity with either camera I can say that the 645Z seemed much more refined in usability and speed compared to the 645D. There's a lot of buttons on it so that may bother some people but it may be a blessing for others that don't want to go through menus to change settings. The camera is slow, yet very useable, compared to mirrorless cameras in live view but that's to be expected. The reps also mentioned that the 16 lenses being reintroduced into the USA market have already started trickling into the warehouses with the 55 SDM, 33-55, and 45-85 stock currently being filled (in addition to the 25 SDM and 90 SDM) and the full stock is expected to be available in June/July when the 645Z ships.

The Pentax reps were in Atlanta the day before. It's on my short list of cameras to replace my M9P (along with the Leica S and the rumored Sony MF camera provided it's not a fixed lens solution.) I was pretty impressed and others seem to be as well. There were 6 preorders yesterday in the middle of the day on a Wednesday and none of them were me.

Last edited:

nenes

I took that to mean any MF system not under the Phase umbrella (Phase, Mamiya, or Leaf.)
Of course Stephegilbert i ment that, i am not a phaseone dealer , I am just a photographer

Phaseone, Would never allow the MF competence C1 compability even if phaseone claim to be OPEN SYSTEM ....there is not such OPEN SYSTEM.

I love phaseone for some little things but i love other systems too ,and that is why i think MF systems are just overpriced(phaseone the first one). AS i said im a photographer ,and spend a lot of money in gear equipment . Can i have an opinion?

Thanks HIREDARM for the support,

nenes

(Hiredarm)...The camera is slow, yet very useable, compared to mirrorless cameras in live view but that's to be expected.

Do you mean that is slow just in live view mode , or shooting and operating in general

iiiNelson

Slow in shooting while in live view compared to other 35mm or cropped sensor mirrorless cameras. It's expected though as the mirror has to lock up to expose the sensor. Again it's quite useable and may not be noticed by people used to MF in reality.

In non-liveview it's quick enough to shoot with. I believe there is a 1GB buffer built into the camera. I'm used to shooting at a slower pace with Leica M or Sony FE series cameras with native or adapted lenses compared with the 8+ FPS many do with Canon and Nikons. I personally don't foresee any issue with speed should I choose to move to the Pentax 645Z.

hsteeves

to me, the Z handles just like a D with a few more buttons. The tilt screen is nice but I wish it would reverse for safety's sake( haven't broken my D but did break an Olympus and scratched many others.) Since I don't shoot from Liveview much, it didn't interest me. Perhaps with time. The camera I saw was pre-production. It had slow-shutterspeed noise reduction which could not be turned off - although you can on a K3. There seemed to be no dark frame fired on long exposures. It functioned with a 75 LS on it. Sorry, couldn't put a card in it - they wouldn't let me remove the tape.

Slow in shooting while in live view compared to other 35mm or cropped sensor mirrorless cameras. It's expected though as the mirror has to lock up to expose the sensor. Again it's quite useable and may not be noticed by people used to MF in reality.

In non-liveview it's quick enough to shoot with. I believe there is a 1GB buffer built into the camera. I'm used to shooting at a slower pace with Leica M or Sony FE series cameras with native or adapted lenses compared with the 8+ FPS many do with Canon and Nikons. I personally don't foresee any issue with speed should I choose to move to the Pentax 645Z.
How good is Focus Peaking as compared to SONY A7R?

Ed Hurst

It had slow-shutterspeed noise reduction which could not be turned off - although you can on a K3. There seemed to be no dark frame fired on long exposures.
Hey! I am just trying to get my head around this part of what you said. If there is slow shutter speed noise reduction which cannot be turned off, how can there be no dark frame? That is the usual way of achieving slow shutter speed noise reduction. Maybe the exposure (or exposures) you tested did not happen to trigger the algorithms for a dark frame being required. Also, when you say it cannot be turned off, are you sure there was no custom function for this (as there ostensibly is on the 645D, though it does not actually turn the behaviour off)?

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice...

D&A

Ed, who's Alice? A Pentax design engineer for the 645z? :)

I too would be surprised if a dark frame wasn't generated. I suppose your explanation of the conditions weren't such that it triggered a dark frame is the most likely explanation . Either that or the firmware in camera tried is still in the Beta stage and certain features sets aren't yet correctly implemented.

Dave (D&A)

hsteeves

Ed,
we hunted for a custom function to turn off the noise reduction but could not find it. We found it on a K3 but it was not in the same place or anywhere on the Z. With these pre-production bodies being shown, I think there will be a lot of changes made to the firmware before actual release. Supposedly, this release is slated for June some time. I told the rep I want my Z for a trip to South Dakota. He said that they would try but couldn't guarantee.

gurtch

The 645Z looks VERY tempting indeed. What I really need is the replacement screen AB -82 split image. Of the nine lenses I own, 7 are manual focus (I prefer them), and a split image would make manual focusing much easier. I have tried everywhere, including an order I placed from Hong Kong. Their web site said they had one, and I ordered it. Turns out they didn't, and I was refunded. I have no clue why Ricoh does not re-issue that screen. Possibly they do not want to encourage us to buy old MF lenses, but want to sell us AF lenses?
Dave in NJ

Pics2

A few sample images from the 645Z. The marketing seems to be directed at my generation, given the image of the 1972 VW bus (I had a '71, but same color scheme). I'll wait for user reports, but ISO 12,800 looks impressive, if not the first choice.

Pentax 645Z Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
ISO 12,800 looks really great. And it looks like there wasn't heavy noise reduction applied.
I'm affraid there wasn't any marketing involved in this pics, they just walked out of the store and snapped it :)