Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I made tripod head ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I made tripod head ;)

Great work!

I recently brought this gear head. It's 670g with 12kg loading. It weight just like my other regular ballhead but work just like a Arca D4.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like a copy of the ARCA D4 . What is the brand name ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Found it . It is the SUNWAY FOTO GH-PRO , is available in Europe and costs 474 € .
    Seems to be a clone of the ARCA D4 HEAD .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

A clone would indicate that someone actually managed to find an example of the original head to copy... I waited and waited and waited and... gave up waiting for stock and bought an alternative option instead. This one looks good though, although expensive for a rip-off product.

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Found it . It is the SUNWAY FOTO GH-PRO , is available in Europe and costs 474 € .
    Seems to be a clone of the ARCA D4 HEAD .
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Sunway Foto GH-Pro is actually slightly smaller then the Arca D4, and other than coloring, plays twinsies with the D4. The GH-Pro is fine for smaller mirrorless cameras such as a Sony A7r, but imho, the stated capacity of the GH-Pro is overstated. I never felt comfortable using a camera heavier than my Sony on the GH-Pro, hence I sold it. It also displays very slight lift under load, also mimicking complaints on the D4. And so my hunt for a smaller lighter geared head similar to the capabilities of the Cube continued....until I found the KPS T5 geared ball head. 88lb capacity and at a svelte 1.75 pounds. Huge step in quality well worth the added investment. http://www.getdpi.com/wp/2015/04/kps...ared-ballhead/

ken

https://kendoophotography.wordpress....white-unicorn/

Post Thanks / Like

As I previously mentioned, I found a smaller, lighter clamp than the one shown in the first photo I posted. It arrived in the mail this morning and I've now installed it on the head, as seen in the photo below with my RX1 mounted:

This new clamp has turned out to be substantially lighter -- one full ounce! -- so the finished head now weighs a mere 4.8 ounces. However, it may also be just a bit too small (narrow), as the camera now seems to have a few thou of movement side-to-side that I don't recall it had before ... we'll see.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alas, it's back to the drawing board, as my tripod head shown above has a serious problem that I must resolve. Specifically, the four M2 screws that hold the goniometer stack to the mounting plate that is attached to the tripod's center column are not strong enough for field work, where I like to carry the camera around between photos still mounted on the tripod. The goniometers have no problem with the load, but the mounting screws stripped, allowing the goniometer stack and attached camera to fall off the tripod's center column ... yikes! Fortunately, I had secured it with a piece of fishing line, just in case, so it fell only a few inches and not all the way to ground, and no other damage occurred. <phew!>

The solution, I think, is to enlarge the four mounting holes in the goniometers and rotational stage, then tap them for M3 screws (I can't go any larger without offsetting the mounting holes, which is beyond my capabilities, and even then, I am not sure there will be enough metal left afterward.) Another possibility is to drill and tap a fifth hole in the center of the bottom goniometer's base to accommodate the 3/8-16 screw already being used to secure the mounting plate (to which the goniometer stack is screwed) to the tripod's center column. But this will mean disassembling it, which I'd rather not do if I can avoid it.

This is not an insurmountable problem, thankfully, merely an inconvenient one, and one that should be fairly easy to address ... I hope! Otherwise, it has worked every bit as well as I hoped it would.