The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I made tripod head ;)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Grzegorz

How thick is the adapter plate on top and bottom and where did you get them?
Can't read the proper numbers . Can you please give them as well ?

Grzegorz Pedzich

Jürgen,
adapter plates: Suruga Seiki A49-B, 10 mm
I bought it on eBay
but you can do it with a piece of aluminum
as it is in that small head :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Grzegorz

Thank you very much for your inspiration .
Altough I have an ARCA CUBE and also an ARCA D4 geared head , I like your idea very much .
Just for fun , I decided to build a "Grzegorz Mini Cube" .
I knew , this would end up like this . The temptation was too big .
I hope , you have no patent pending for your idea .:ROTFL:

All parts are on order now . The cost will be about 1/3 or even less of the LINHOF head .

Grzegorz Pedzich

Jürgen,
I also use Arca-Swiss CUBE and Manfrotto 410, but sometimes it is too big
I built this "Mini Cube" :) to a small Sirui Tripod :)
I do not like ball heads :(
the idea is not patented ;) I make it for others :)
oh, Linhof able to patent the idea :)

M

mjr

This is cool! I see they do motorised versions too, what we need is a 2 axis tilt switch that can operate the motorised base and you have a self levelling cube!

jlm

Workshop Member
noting that you put the 80mm rotation center unit on the bottom, 60mm on the top, this places rotations centers for both at 60mm above the top surface (2-3/8") which would be the optimal lens center. my Cambo has it's center about 4" above it's base, put in a pano-quick clamp raises it another 7/8", so these little gonio units will have a bit of lateral shift when rotated.
compared to the Arca cube.:
just quickly checked the numbers on the Arca: both stages have a 3" rotation center, they do not have their rotation centers centered, but separated by about 1". so the bottom stage center is about 5/8 above the quick clamp, the top center is about 1-5/8 above the quick clamp. not that I have ever heard a complaint about the asymmetric lateral movement

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This is cool! I see they do motorised versions too, what we need is a 2 axis tilt switch that can operate the motorised base and you have a self levelling cube!
Yes , there are motorized goniometer stages . But look at the prices .
And you would need a power source for that motorized cube as well .

You do not really mean that , a motorized cube . Do you ? ? ? :ROTFL:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Couldn't this be the ideal base goniometer stage for a micro cube for spy cameras ? ? ?:D
The square stage size is just 25x25mm . And the price is below 300 € .
So everyone could afford a cube .
View attachment 80740
And it is also available as motorized version .:clap:

cly

Jürgen, could you perhaps post the total weight?

Where did you order the goniometer, if I may ask?

Chris

jotloob

Subscriber Member
this is leveling head, like Linhof 3D micro
geared tilt 20° front, rear, left and right
2 x 360° pano (bottom and top)

small head: 3 kg load, weight: 750g
large head: 6 kg load, weight: 1565g

you can do it yourself :)
The idea for this project came from Grzegorz Pedzich

The weight for my BABY CUBE is 1625g .
I plan to replace the top and bottom adapter plates with plates of black hard PVC . That would reduce the total weight by 120g .
In comparison to the LINHOF or ARCA CUBE , the baby cube is rather heavy . (a well fed baby)
This is due to the fact , that the goniometers are made of brass .
The ARCA SWISS or LINHOF cubes are made of aviation aluminium .
I got the goniometers (used) from E-BAY , as Grzegorz did.
If you would buy the goniometer stages new , the total cost would be
much more than a new ARCA or LINHOF MICRO D3 cube and that would not even include the top and bottom pano devices .
So far , the disadvantage .

An advantage is the extremely precise and soft motion in the x and y axis .
If this is needed ? Decide this by yourself .
For me making and using the BABY CUBE is great fun .

View attachment 80930

cly

Thank you. Stupid me, I didn't realize it was the goniometer shown by Grzegorz Pedzich. Probably because I had hoped that there is a lightweight baby cube :) I have the adult version but sometimes I wish there was less weight in my camera bag ...

Chris

kdphotography

The weight of the "baby cube" is a big disadvantage here for me---I'd want it to be lighter than the original AS Cube (~2 pounds) and leaner/smaller and more svelte.

Using the RRS TVC-24 tripod legs, the AS Cube is just a bit top heavy---it works fine, but a lighter leaner alternative would be ideal. Trimming the profile down ala baby cube would be ideal, but not if it is actually heavier than the original AS Cube. Smaller is nice, but the weight doesn't address the top-heavy issue for me.

Still pretty damn cool. I think you should engrave your personal logo/name on that baby cube! :p

ken

Grzegorz Pedzich

Ken, I made two "baby cubes":
1 - like Jürgen's "cube" (1600g)
2 - smaller "baby cube" (750g) and more svelte

smaller version maybe ideal for RRS TVC-24,
I use it with Sirui t-2004x and ALPA STC
:)

(see pictures at the beginning of thread)

Lorenz(X)

hey Grzegorz,that´s really funny,you have beat me about 4 weeks. :) i was reading a thread recently about the cube and it´s clone the photo clam mulitflex and someone mentioned goniometers.and since i am not that super rich i thought i will do this myself.i already ordered all the parts and had a meeting with a metal workshop here in my hometown to get the mounting plates done by them (i didn´t know there was the a49-b...) since i didn´t get the goniometers yet i was not able to determine the thickness of the mounting plates yet.to be able to rotate the pano clamp i have to use a certain thickness,otherwise the clamping knob will interfere with the knob that controls the gear of the upper gonio,or the base plate of the latter.since i also ordered the ddh-03 (this is really amazing,i have almost the exact same setup that you have,except for the base pan unit) can you tell me how much clearence i need to get the clamping nob going over the gear-knob at the maximum of 20 degrees,and maybe at 10 degrees (just as a reference,usually,i think it schould not be a problem to level the tripod at least so much that i don´t need more than an adjustment of 10 degrees,and a smaller and sleeker head would be nice)
this is really amazing,though i have to admit that i am bit sad not to be the first who was thinking of that.. ;)
greetings,and great work there!

Lorenz(X)

Ah,and one more question.. do you think it is possible to cut a 7mm long thread into the center of the base or do you hit the worm gear then?On your small cube you assembled the panning base directly with the goniometers,without a plate in between.