The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show Us Your Technical Camera Setup

Don Libby

I suggested this thread while commenting on another thread concerning technical cameras and thought I’d start the ball rolling

Components include:

Gitzo GT5540LS
Acratech Leveling Base
Acratech GV2 Ballhead
Cambo RS 1000
Phase One P45+
Capture Integration Primary Synch

don

stephengilbert

Don,

I was thinking of using an Acratech leveling base with an RRS panning clamp (no ball head at all). I assume you like the base, yes?

Steve

Don Libby

Don,

I was thinking of using an Acratech leveling base with an RRS panning clamp (no ball head at all). I assume you like the base, yes?

Steve
Steve

I’ve actually used that same setup when I was doing my panoramas with the RRS ultimate setup. I may take off the ballhead but I never remove the leveling base.

don

C

carbonmetrictree

Haha, I've taken a few quick pictures of my gear and what I've done to streamline some of it. I'll post it tomorrow when I wake up. Great idea for a thread.

Don Libby

Don, that is one honkin' tripod setup you have there! You could prop up a car with that thing!
I have an older Gitzo tripod that I still use when I have to go any distance; the down side is that I need to use an angle viewer on my AFD. This tripod setup puts the camera just about at eye level (remember I’m 6-9). Jack won’t have trouble however Ken and Guy might need a milk carton :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

don

kdphotography

I have an older Gitzo tripod that I still use when I have to go any distance; the down side is that I need to use an angle viewer on my AFD. This tripod setup puts the camera just about at eye level (remember I’m 6-9). Jack won’t have trouble however Ken and Guy might need a milk carton :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

don
I saw that.....

...and yes, I'll keep a step-ladder in the back of the truck!

:ROTFL:

etrigan63

OK it's not medium format, but here is my technical rig (so to speak):

The lens arrived today and I have been doing tests and trying to get the hang of it.

C

carbonmetrictree

Here are a few quick images of my equipment. I included my HPRC 3500 because I custom molded my SWA and Max out of layers of foam and lined them with Veltex. The Manfrotto 405's image shows what I've done with orienting the head upside down to allow a leveled 360 degree rotational axis after the x and y axis' are leveled out.

etrigan63

It's the Hartblei hood. It's an optional piece. The previous owner had ordered it with the lens. Looks good, but the threads are a little stiff on this copy. Hopefully when I add an 82mm UV filter, things will go more smoothly. Hartblei recently relaunched their website (hartblei.eu & hartblei.de) and offer hoods as options on their three new lenses.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey Andrew,

What's the box your shutter release and wake up cable are connecting to?

Sean

http://www.seankarns.com
http://www.assemblystudio.net
That's the micro-switch which is the main component of the Kapture Group 1-Shot Cable.

Phase One digital backs require a wakeup signal* (except the P65+) prior to being shot. On a medium format body like the Phamiya or Hasselblad the wakeup signal is automatically provided by the body. On a tech camera it is manually given either by:
1) a manual button press on a separate cable (which wakes up the back and give you 5 seconds to take the shot)
2) taking two shots in a row (the first is seen as a wakeup)
3) using a Kapture Group 1-Shot Cable which gives both signals from one plunger depression

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

P

parsnip_lee

Thanks Doug.

I've just jumped into the wonderful world of MFDBs with a Phase One P25+ and a Cambo Wide DS. The Kapture Group 1-Shot cable sounds like a great accessory, does Capture Integration sell them?

Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

The KG One Shot is a great solution for any MFDB setup using a Phase One back. Also, if you set your shutter latency on Short, you can wake the back up and release the shutter in one quick throw. If the shutter latency is on Long, you will have to wait half a second before fully depressing the cable release to actuate the lens.

P

parsnip_lee

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I contacted Kapture Group directly and immediately placed an order.

etrigan63

Went and had lunch with Chris over at CI yesterday (Doug is in Moab) and I got to check out the Cambo Wide DS. Much smaller than I expected! Don Libby's Wide RS must be tiny! Anyway I snapped some pics of the system so I thought I'd share them in this thread. I also noticed that there was no Cambo Digital group pool on flickr so I created one. All are welcome to join. (http://www.flickr.com/groups/cambodigital)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Don Libby's Wide RS must be tiny!

I like the idea of a small portable tech camera and have decided to start with the Alpa TC. May move to a Max if I need to do more than an occasional pano and need more than tilt.

Last edited: