The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 40mm and 90mm lens flare?

tjv

Hi all,

In another thread (here) I mentioned that I am experiencing a strange central flare in images taken with my 90mm HR-W lens. It happens all the time, but especially on bright overcast days with low lying cloud. Originally I didn't think it was flare because the shape and location of it was so consistent - dead, optical centre of frame and perfectly circular - and wondered if it was a copal shutter issue. Rodenstock inspected the lens and found no fault.

In the other thread it was mentioned that this is a well known issue with some Rodenstock lenses, particularly the 90mm and 40mm designs. This was a real surprise to me as I have never read about it or seen it mentioned before. I'm wondering who else here has experienced it and in what situations is the problem presenting? For you, is it just a matter of paying more attention to lens hood placement, or is it more complicated than that? Personally, I find it painfully annoying!

Thank,

TJV

kdphotography

You "can" have lens flare with the HR40---which is a lens I use all the time. But I don't think is it problematic at all, once you get to know your lens. I shoot with this lens frequently without a lens hood, and sometimes in conditions ripe for flare. But I also know when to dig out the Cambo lens hood... I don't think it is as big an issue as may be presented. Strong sunlight directed at the camera can be difficult for any lens.

I would have loved to get the new HR90, but wow:eek:--that price tag, er, size of investment.... ;) Can't comment on the HR90...

ken

tjv

Yes, the 90mm is insanely priced. I have the older but optically (despite flare issue) great older version.

I'm finding the flare really, really annoying. It's relatively predictable in that it happens even when subject matter isn't backlit but the sky is relatively bright. I haven't tried the Lee hood yet, but I don't hold high hopes for it fixing the problem entirely. Even when only a little bit of sky is taking up the top of the frame, the flare seems to rare its ugly head.

Paul2660

Actually the Lee hood or similar design should pretty much eliminate flare. I have the 40 and the 90 sinor digital Rod which is 1 or 2 generation older than the HR-W. (Blue band). The latest is the yellow band SW at around 10K.

With a hood on I have yet to see any issues with either lens. Overcast or bright light. I would not shoot it into the sun as the flare is destructive where as the Schneider 35SK or 43SK actually can give a pleasing sun star.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

tjv

Hi Paul and Ken,
Good to know you've not found it a problem, thanks. As I think I said in the other thread, I've always shielded the front element from direct light when shooting but never bothered to use a hood. After a decade of shooting 4x5" the same way, I never saw a problem but I guess these new lenses, while much, much better in many ways, might, by consequence of design imperatives for digital, be more prone to this kind of flare. Really looking forward to using the Lee hood. I've been meaning to buy one for years, anyway.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have both lenses and never experienced any trouble with flare .
But I must say the following : I never use these lenses without a lens shade .
In most cases I use the LEE standard bellows hood , also for the HR 40mm
lens . If I have to do shifting , I use the LEE WA hood . I always carefully check for good shading by looking at the front and I use the bellows as long as possible . As most of my work is from tripod and I have time , I check for vignetting by using the GG .

tjv

Thanks Jurgen.
It's interesting because my 55mm Rodenstock never seems to flare, even when shooting into the light, not that I do that often. Was surprised to see it with the 90mm, which is a newer design (?) and not as wide.
You mention that you use the WA Lee hood if you're shifting. Is the standard hood too deep for shifting with the 40mm on your CFV50, or is it not flexible enough? I ask because I've just ordered the standard hood for use with my 90mm and 55mm lenses and employ a lot of movements.

gazwas

Standard or Universal hood as the Lee hood range was changed about 12 months ago?

The standard is no longer made and was usually designed for standard to longer lenses. The new Universal hood will be go down to aprox a 24mm lens (35mm) so would work fine with your lenses.

tjv

Awesome, thanks. I've ordered the universal hood. As long as I can use my 55mm lens on 6x7cm film (forgot to mention that before) with movements, them I'm all good.

tjv

Thanks, should be on the way from Linhof Studio now. Looking forward to finally not having to perform acrobatics with my arms and hands to shade the lens!

narikin

I would have loved to get the new HR90, but wow:eek:--that price tag, er, size of investment.... ;) Can't comment on the HR90...
ken
The Rodenstock HR90 (yellow ring) is the finest tech MF lens out there, bar none, imho. A truly astonishing optic, made solely for Digital MF Tech cam use, and worth every penny it costs.

kdphotography

The Rodenstock HR90 (yellow ring) is the finest tech MF lens out there, bar none, imho. A truly astonishing optic, made solely for Digital MF Tech cam use, and worth every penny it costs.
I hate you. :p

Still one of many on the *I want* list...but definitely relegated to Guy's ski mask acquisition technique. ;)

ken

tjv

OT, but my dream kit of tech cam lenses (for full frame DMF) would be:

HR90mm Rodenstock (new)
60mm Schneider (for 60mpx and below) or HR70mm Rodenstock (60mpx or above)
40mm Rodenstock
28mm Rodenstock

I tried the 60mm Schneider on film and it was beautiful, but ultimately I needed more image circle for movements with 6x7cm, so went with the 55mm Rodenstock, which is brilliant value for money. I know there are a lot of people out there that much prefer the Schneider designs, both because they're physically smaller but also because of the way they render and have less distortion. I was gutted to learn about this flare issue with some new Rodenstock designs, but they are amazing lenses. Truly amazing detail and I can't wait to try them on a digital setup.