The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA and HY6 back adapter

mmbma

I just got an Alpa Hy6 back adapter.
It doesn't fit perfectly on my Aptus 12 back. only three of the latches claps on securely, one doesn't.

The back is very secure on the camera, but I am bothered by this imprecision. Does anyone else have a similar issue? Is this normal or should I return this adapter?

Geoff

Fitting of AFI backs onto adapters is a bit of a … mystery? While the backs work great on the AFI, the fitting to third party adapter plates is not without some issues. While I have no mounting experience with the Alpa version - it does look very well made. Have had experience with Kapture Group's, which took a bit of fiddling, but with some adjustment he got it right.

On a Silvestri adapter, its a real struggle, and works better in some orientations than others (believe it or not). Sometimes it takes some hard (but by hand) "pressing" to get the one errant locking tab to engage. Difficulty can vary by season - winter is different than summer (shrinking dimensions with cold).

I'd send it back to Alpa and have it adjusted. Try rotating the back location and seeing if its the same prong or the locking mechanism.

PSon

I also have the same issue with the Cambo version for their cameras to fit the Leaf AFi 7 and the Sinar Hy6 digital backs.

mmbma

yeah, only the upper left prong doesn't fit.

I will take it to the dealer and go from there. good that I bought retail on this one

EH21

This is interesting to read, because Alpa normally has a very high standard.
I'd send it back for service myself.

mmbma

it's hard to do because i don't want to send the back along with the adapter to Switzerland. However without the back it'll be hard for them to fix it.

Geoff

Not necessarily. Kapture Group has some sort of "working back part" to check fit of their AFI mounts - Alpa likely has something similar.

Did you try rotating the back and seeing if its the same prong on the back that is giving the difficulty (regardless of its position), or is it the same hole on the mount that is problematic?

If its the prong on the back, these can be replaced - and while it sounds scary, they literally screw off and replacement ones can be screwed in.

Mitchell

Wow! I never knew their was an Alpa adapter for my Sinar eMotion 75. This takes my fantasizing to a whole new level! But, viewing and chimping would be challenging.
Anyone use Sinar backs with Alpa?

Thanks,

Mitchell

mmbma

Not necessarily. Kapture Group has some sort of "working back part" to check fit of their AFI mounts - Alpa likely has something similar.

Did you try rotating the back and seeing if its the same prong on the back that is giving the difficulty (regardless of its position), or is it the same hole on the mount that is problematic?

If its the prong on the back, these can be replaced - and while it sounds scary, they literally screw off and replacement ones can be screwed in.
just that one prong. so I should send the back to my dealer instead of the adapter to alpa?

EH21

Yes, these pins do just unscrew, but if yours looks fine and works fine on the camera, I doubt that its the issue. Maybe just for sake of thoroughness, check to see if that pin on the back is fixed tightly and not loose. Also you could try the rear cover plate for the Hy6 camera body and see if that fits into the Alpa adapter… if that is not working either then it would point more the adapter plate.

When you look at the Alpa adapter plate can you notice anything different about the receptor that does not lock?

mmbma

Yes, these pins do just unscrew, but if yours looks fine and works fine on the camera, I doubt that its the issue. Maybe just for sake of thoroughness, check to see if that pin on the back is fixed tightly and not loose. Also you could try the rear cover plate for the Hy6 camera body and see if that fits into the Alpa adapter… if that is not working either then it would point more the adapter plate.

When you look at the Alpa adapter plate can you notice anything different about the receptor that does not lock?
Thanks Eric. I brought it back to Jeff. We couldn't figure out why and he'll get another adapter to try tomorrow.

I have not tried to touch the screw nor did I try the cover plate. The adapter looks good too. Just one corner is off by a fraction of a millimeter and the latches does not lock in. Will report back

mmbma

Sorted it out. Turns out the adapter was not precisely machined... this is a first from Alpa. Changed to another adapter and everything works buttery smooth

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sorted it out. Turns out the adapter was not precisely machined... this is a first from Alpa. Changed to another adapter and everything works buttery smooth
:eek: you realize that somewhere in Switzerland an Alpa gnome worker is going to be hung drawn and quartered over this! :ROTFL:

Everything I've ever had from Alpa has always been perfect. Excessively so in fact.