Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss C1 Cube

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Arca Swiss C1 Cube

Dale,

My Mountaineer (GT 2530) has a removeable center column. You unscrew the bottom, remove the column, and then screw the bottom piece back on to hold the thing together. It is a simple change, requiring no tools.

Steve

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kirk Enterprises has a line of accessories for Gitzo to include plate assemblies that eliminate a center post. I've used Kirk L-Brackets on every camera body I've own for the past 5 years (with the exception of the RS) as well as the plate assemblies. Good company to do business with.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Dale,

My Mountaineer (GT 2530) has a removeable center column. You unscrew the bottom, remove the column, and then screw the bottom piece back on to hold the thing together. It is a simple change, requiring no tools.

Steve
    Stephen, that's the bit of info we (I) were missing. Thank you! I've not seen it used that way and have only used one myself (a friend's) with a short column.

Isn't it great that we have to work so hard to figure this stuff out?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the GT3541XLS with BH-55 (Kindly ignore the color balance, etc. It was quick and dirt for a friend.)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

riddle me this:

my 1328 has a leg diameter of about 1-1/4" and would be considered mid-size, for medium format. i wouldn't put it in the 1xxx series smallest designation. it also has the fast set center column and three section legs

my 1325 us very close to the above, but has a fixed top plate (it is not removeable as in the Studex).

my little gitzo (for the m8) has about 1" tubes and is a G1157, what i would call the 1xxx series. it also has the fast center column and three section legs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    riddle me this:

my 1328 has a leg diameter of about 1-1/4" and would be considered mid-size, for medium format. i wouldn't put it in the 1xxx series smallest designation. it also has the fast set center column and three section legs

my 1325 us very close to the above, but has a fixed top plate (it is not removeable as in the Studex).

my little gitzo (for the m8) has about 1" tubes and is a G1157, what i would call the 1xxx series. it also has the fast center column and three section legs
    For some reason (top secret no doubt) Gitzo broke the pattern of numbering your tripod series. That's why didn't buy 1328... the number conspiracy!

Kidding aside, if one studies the chart on the RRS page it can be seen that your model is one of the few which breaks the pattern. I'm not smart enough to buy from that series. I have to stick to the simply-numbered series.

Post Thanks / Like

lol
    that's a great picture Dale.
    it sure is nice to have a tripod that can extend when needed.
    am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    lol
    that's a great picture Dale.
    it sure is nice to have a tripod that can extend when needed.
    am
    The sad thing is that Don Libby has to bend down to look through the view finder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

riddle me this:

John:

It's confusing as heck. They changed the numbering convention for the new 6x CF pods. Before 13xx was a CF 3 series size where 3xx was an aluminum 3 series. Now, i *think* this is how the code works: the first number is the series, hence 3xyz is a 3 series size, x is the style (larger number usually means longer overall), y is the number of leg sections and z is that model's revision number. Then the letter at the end, where "S" is for Systematic (no column), R is for a rapid (friction) column, G (at the end) is for a geared column, and L or LVL is for leveling column. Not sure where "mountaineer" and such fit in now...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

You're close: on a GT3531LS, for example, the G is for Gitzo, T for tripod, 3 for series, 5 for material (5 is CF), 3 for number of leg sections, 1 for release number, LS for long, Systemic. My GT2530 is thus the first version second series carbon fiber tripod with three leg sections. See Getting to Know Your Gitzo chart here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Item...5541LS&eq=&Tp=

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Stephen, that's the bit of info we (I) were missing. Thank you! I've not seen it used that way and have only used one myself (a friend's) with a short column.

Isn't it great that we have to work so hard to figure this stuff out?
    While we're on riddles how's this: the GT3451XLS WHICH Jack has is according to the Gitzo site a four leg-section pod whereas Jack says:

"my main pod is the 3541XLS (it only weighs 1.97kg) and I use it with the first 2 moveable sections fully extended and the last section about 6" extended"

...which kind of implies that it has three leg sections unless Jack means that he uses sections 1,2 and 4 and leaves 3 tucked away.

The plot thickens!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They count the beginning leg as a section( or tripod legs itself). So that is one than three knobs.

This is Jacks 3541XLS

Load Capacity39.7 lbs (18kg)
    Maximum Height78" (198cm)
    Maximum Height w/o Column ExtendedN/A
    Minimum Height3.9" (10cm)
    Folded Length27.6" (70cm)
    Head Attachment Fitting3/8"
    Weight4.3 lbs (1.970kg)
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is what i am waiting on 3541L with center column. This is a 4 section also
    Load Capacity39.6 lbs (18kg)
    Maximum Height71.3" (181cm)
    Maximum Height w/o Column Extended59.1" (150cm)
    Minimum Height6.3" (16cm)
    Folded Length23.6" (60cm)
    Head Attachment Fitting1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
    Weight4.7 lbs (2.1kg)

EDIT I changed the image size
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to see here
    Last edited by carstenw; 16th March 2009 at 05:57.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I chose the L version because it folds to 23.6 and easier to stuff in a suitcase. But being my height I would rarely need the center column since it extends right to my height normally with a head on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Yup, it looks a lot smaller, like about 1/3 the size or so
    I had a smaller image up there , I just changed it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This is what i am waiting on 3541L with center column. This is a 4 section also
    Load Capacity39.6 lbs (18kg)
    Maximum Height71.3" (181cm)
    Maximum Height w/o Column Extended59.1" (150cm)
    Minimum Height6.3" (16cm)
    Folded Length23.6" (60cm)
    Head Attachment Fitting1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
    Weight4.7 lbs (2.1kg)

EDIT I changed the image size

Hi Guy,

I followed a hybrid of your and Jack's logic and got a GT3541LS today - initial shots indicate that it is good enough with the Manfrotto 410 geared head not to need a Cube.... phew! But I am about to test that more extensively.

I really like the 'frotto 410 despite that it's friction drags are too tough. It feels very precise and has the simple movements I need.

t

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Jack,

You're close: on a GT3531LS, for example, the G is for Gitzo, T for tripod, 3 for series, 5 for material (5 is CF), 3 for number of leg sections, 1 for release number, LS for long, Systemic. My GT2530 is thus the first version second series carbon fiber tripod with three leg sections. See Getting to Know Your Gitzo chart here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Item...5541LS&eq=&Tp=

Steve
    Awesome find Steve, thanks!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Hi Guy,

I followed a hybrid of your and Jack's logic and got a GT3541LS today - initial shots indicate that it is good enough with the Manfrotto 410 geared head not to need a Cube.... phew! But I am about to test that more extensively.

I really like the 'frotto 410 despite that it's friction drags are too tough. It feels very precise and has the simple movements I need.

t
    Yea you will be at 5 ft to start than by the time you add the head and to the finder it may get up to 5-9 inches taller with head and camera. That's about perfect for me. Than if I have to stretch than use the center column which you could also add later or have as a option with the S model. So that gives you a option if ever the need arises

carbonmetrictree

By the way- How long does it take to get the Cube once it's ordered from B&H?

I'm going to New York for my architectural exhibition next week and B&H is in walking distance...maybe I shouldn't bring my wallet with me.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

b&h had them in stock at 34th st a few months ago. probably still do if listed in stock on their web page. call to be sure, sometimes "in stock" means at their brooklyn warehouse

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I live near Boston, so I ordered mine on a Tuesday and it was here on Wednesday.
    I think that UPS must have a direct truck from their warehouse to my back door since they are here so often.
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have the (un?) fortunate experience of having my shop located within 500 yards of the B&H warehouse in the Brooklyn Navy Yard

Post Thanks / Like

i have the (un?) fortunate experience of having my shop located within 500 yards of the B&H warehouse in the Brooklyn Navy Yard
    And a well planned "midnight visit" has not entered your head?

Just kidding, but Guy's "ski mask" idea has become infectious

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Sales tax can hurt for an out-of-town buyer picking a Cube up in NYC. The 8.375% amounts to something on gear in the Cube's price range (or higher). One could buy eight bottles of Hendrick's for the amount of sales tax.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you could get around the tax (maybe) by having it shipped out of state after you fondle it and pay

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered mine over the weekend and had it by mid week in Tucson.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I order mine, 2/2/09 I got it next day 10:00 am for free.

Not bad.

BlasR.

I use the bag for my Remy martin, no one can see what is inside.

carbonmetrictree

I should have kept my big mouth shut...it looks like I'll be getting one in a few days

By the way, do you think it is possible to replace the quick release bracket from the head with my Linhof Quickfix II quick release system? I'd hate to purchase an extra plate just to mount my own QR system.

Thanks,

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    I should have kept my big mouth shut...it looks like I'll be getting one in a few days

By the way, do you think it is possible to replace the quick release bracket from the head with my Linhof Quickfix II quick release system? I'd hate to purchase an extra plate just to mount my own QR system.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Andrew,

You aren't going to want to hear this, but as nice as the Linhof plates were in their day, the new defacto standard is the Arca-Swiss style, and the plates made by RRS, Wimberly and Kirk are simply superior to any other system. Thus, I would suggest that if one is going to spend for the Cube, they might as well spend for a new set of proper plates.

Jack

DougDolde

The Arca Swiss Monoball Z1 dp has a second panning mechanism at the top. Seems like this would be a much more cost effective solution than the Cube. I never found it hard to get the camera level with a ball head and currently use the Arca B1.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s=REG#features

carbonmetrictree

Has anyone found that their cube is off by a 1/2 to a full degree off? I just purchased it from B&H brand new and I noticed that when I rotated the top axis, the bubble levels would start to move as if the head was not totally level. I double checked this by putting an accurate level on my head and there is a level variance even when the head is zeroed out on the x and y axes. I'm really hesitant in sending it back to Arca Swiss because of their reputation in the customer service department...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    I'm really hesitant in sending it back to Arca Swiss because of their reputation in the customer service department...
    I thought PrecisionCameraWorks had a good reputation, but I'd like to know if I've been misinformed...

carbonmetrictree

Thanks, I forgot about them. They said that I can get the levels readjusted with a 1 week turnaround, pretty fantastic.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    I thought PrecisionCameraWorks had a good reputation, but I'd like to know if I've been misinformed...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i put a precision machinist's level on my cube and it is out in both directions by about 1/2 bubble width. pretty easy to fix: level the cube with an accurate level, pry out the level vials, put in a drop of epoxy, replace vials, tweaking to get the bubble perfect before the epoxy sets.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

make sure you clean out the previous layer of cement

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easy for you to say (and do) John!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is like a Leica forum: you pay a fortune, and then send the thing back to get it sorted out. Imagine what a Cube would cost with perfect levels....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is perfect
    Jack

carbonmetrictree

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am pretty surprised and pissed at the same time. If you decide to purchase one of the most expensive heads for still photography, the thing should be up to standards- heck, my Manfrotto was more accurate than this head!

It's tough to be an elitist company if there is no consistency and accuracy in one's products, especially if the customers are aware of high tolerance Swiss standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In case anybody here is interested -- and I am posting it here before hitting the B&S -- I came across a *used* Cube in decent shape... Yes, a potential deal on a Cube!

This one is clean, operates smoothly, and everything works normally, though it shows some signs of use in the way of small nics and rub marks.

So if anybody wants a deal, this one can be had for about $500 off B&H new, or $1900!

PM me if interested -- I'll leave it here a few days before moving it to the B&S
    Jack

carbonmetrictree

Whaaaat!?

Jack, you're killing me here!

Maybe I need another cube ontop of my cube, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    In case anybody here is interested -- and I am posting it here before hitting the B&S -- I came across a *used* Cube in decent shape... Yes, a potential deal on a Cube!

This one is clean, operates smoothly, and everything works normally, though it shows some signs of use in the way of small nics and rub marks.

So if anybody wants a deal, this one can be had for about $500 off B&H new, or $1900!

PM me if interested -- I'll leave it here a few days before moving it to the B&S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A second cube is handy. one for the heavy primary pod, and one for the lighter travel kit.
    Saves about a minute of screwing around when you have o go on a trip.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    A second cube is handy. one for the heavy primary pod, and one for the lighter travel kit.
    Saves about a minute of screwing around when you have o go on a trip.
    -bob
    I actually considered doing precisely that with it... So, want me to put your name on it Bob?

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack "I never met a cube I didn't like" Flesher.

First he finds a cheap Canon then its a Cube.....I need to hang around you more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

Yes, I get lucky on a deal every now and then, and at least I'm offering to share in this one!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry,

Yes, I get lucky on a deal every now and then, and at least I'm offering to share in this one!
    Jack I'll take it if you still have it - provided there aren't any annoying customs and excise points!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim just confirmed the UK VAT will kill him, so it's still available to whoever else may want it
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. it's a bummer: suddenly we've to pay VAT on imported second-hand goods AND then excise duty on that total -including being taxed on the cost of shipping and insuring.

But for anyone in the USA or NAFTA, this cube is a rare bargain and should be bagged!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I had the money it never would have made it to the forum. LOL