The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss C1 Cube

C

carbonmetrictree

So....is this actually worth $1,700? I'm using a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 flipped upside down, and have been happy with the results. My main issues with this head is the size and how each axis introduces a bit of vibration when using an ALPA 12 Max. Eric Staudenmaier gave me a quick demo of his, and it does seem a lot more efficient than this big, honkin Bogen head.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have replaced my Manfrotto 410 by an ARCA SWISS CUBE C1 and am not missing the 410 for just one second .
I agree that the cube C1 is rather expensive , but the easy handling and the precision you get with the C1 is worth it , especially when using my ARCA 4x5 or 6x9 F-line metric LF camera and MF gear .
I think , when you invest thousands of $ in precision camera gear , you should also go for the best head .
A chain is only as strong as the weakest link .

fotografz

This midwest boy just can't get past $1,700, for a tripod head. If the 410 didn't do the job really well for all these many years, it'd be another matter ... but if it ain't broke why fix it? ... especially a $1,700. fix ;)

C

carbonmetrictree

My reply would be something you would hear out of a 5 year old wanting his first air rifle.

"But...moooom, it's so awesome!"

This midwest boy just can't get past $1,700, for a tripod head. If the 410 didn't do the job really well for all these many years, it'd be another matter ... but if it ain't broke why fix it? ... especially a $1,700. fix ;)

C

carbonmetrictree

One of the main things about the head is how compact it is compared to the 405/410 (the bigger one).

The real question is: Any one has a used one to sell?

I have replaced my Manfrotto 410 by an ARCA SWISS CUBE C1 and am not missing the 410 for just one second .
I agree that the cube C1 is rather expensive , but the easy handling and the precision you get with the C1 is worth it , especially when using my ARCA 4x5 or 6x9 F-line metric LF camera and MF gear .
I think , when you invest thousands of $ in precision camera gear , you should also go for the best head .
A chain is only as strong as the weakest link .

fotografz

Well, not that I wouldn't knock you over the head with my 410 and take your ArcaCube ... if I could get away with it and not have my behind warmed by Dad when he got home from work ... LOL!

Don Libby

Opened the forum to see this as a thread and my heart went into hyper drive thinking someone had news of the “Cube”.

I searched for used cubes late last year even saving a search on e-bay; there just isn’t a used market! Those who have them must take them to their grave or become family heirlooms.

I remember when I first saw the write-up and thought yeah it look neat but is it worth $1,700? Fast forward to now and do a search in B&H where they are “in-stock” at $2,400. Guess what? There isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t think about transferring the cube from my wish list into the shopping cart and be done with it.

What happens if I don’t like it? Can’t return it; do I want to be the first ever to sell it on the used market? How could I face my friends? So I have an idea; meet Jack in person after begging him to bring his cube (he’s got to wonder does Don what to met me of my cube?) then I’ll get the chance to see it in action. Gotta me careful as I might just really fall for it and stop off at a stop and rob to help finance it.

In a way I think we might need to develop a support group …

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The CUBE weighs in at just over 2 pounds, and is smaller in stature than the smaller of the 405/410. IOW it is a *LOT* smaller than the larger one.

Anyway, that aside, there is ZERO slop anywhere in the CUBE system, including the gear drive, even with the friction dials set to minimum. The biggest difference here is the CUBE is a rack-and-pinion drive while the 405/410's are worm drive -- and worm drive designs have inherently more gear slop. Comparing them directly is like comparing the driving experiences between a Mercedes and a Chevy on the Coast Highway to one-another. So yes, they both get you there, but one does it with a lot more class, comfort and convenience.

Final comment: I have never heard of anybody selling one of these because they didn't like it. Moreover, the fact you rarely see these for sale used (like one per year across all of the boards, eBay and Craig's list combined) I think is a good indicator of customer satisfaction.

Final, final comment to Marc and Don: I know you guys well enough to simply say, "Trust me, hold your breath, pucker up your pucker string and part with the cash for one and get it over with. Two minutes after you have fiddled with it with it on top of your tripod and your camera on top of it, you won't ever look back!"

:D,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So....is this actually worth $1,700? I'm using a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 flipped upside down, and have been happy with the results. My main issues with this head is the size and how each axis introduces a bit of vibration when using an ALPA 12 Max. Eric Staudenmaier gave me a quick demo of his, and it does seem a lot more efficient than this big, honkin Bogen head.
$1700?
Where? I would jump on it in an instant.
See if they have two :)
-bob

I had the Manfrotto 405 for a few years and it had to go back for service once because one of the drives seized up and then it just kept getting more sloppy. The cube is awesome. I wish I had paid $1700 for it that would have been a bargain. You know all there is know already, there no downside. I can even use it with gloves on. Rock solid. I rarely find that when layering images together do I need to adjust the alignment anymore, except when someone kicks the tripod and doesn't tell me.
You could sell the case it comes in on ebay and recover at least a few hundred$$. Give one to Paris Hilton to carry around and it would be more.

Don't forget the other nice feature. Once the body of the cube is leveled you can rotate with the top collar and keep the camera level where ever it turns.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Will the cube fit ok on a Gitzo series 1 for travel or do I need to lug the series 2?
Nope, the series 3 is right out.
-bob

C

carbonmetrictree

Okay, so after doing some errands today, I forgot about the Cube for half a day...I have to say that YOU GUYS AREN'T HELPING!! :ROTFL:

Because I am a 5' 3" Japanese guy, a BIG HONKIN' Bogen 405 is pretty huge. I'm still scared of that one day that I turn the release knob for one of the axis' by mistake and see my equipment fly 180 degrees into one of my tripod legs by mistake.

In terms of the awesome $1,700 price, I'll let you guys know where I found it after I secure 5 of these things. It is from a VERY reputable dealer ( I just might have to wait awhile to have one manufactured).

And, of course, Jack. You better be freaking kidding about having two- I might have to drop by your house unannounced with a few thugs to rip the Cubes out from under your pillow!

You'll want the 2 minimum -- and I'm bringing my 3 to Moab...

Lastly- Has everyone seen the LevelHead?

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Andrew, the "2" in that post was referring to the size of Gitzo leg set I was recommending :rolleyes:

Don Libby

I had seen this before and just rechecked the website this morning. While it looks good it just isn’t a Cube. I’m a little put off that the only way to get in touch is by e-mail.

I checked B&H (thankfully they were closed) and see that I can get the Cube here (Tucson) by 1/21 just in time for my trip. I’m really trying to be good here and no my wife isn’t looking over my shoulder as I write this. Decided to wait till after I see how we did on taxes.

I’ll be okay so long as I don’t open this thread anymore. The real trouble with me is I really believe in the line “when you turn your camera on does it return the favor”:salute:

Don

A not so recovering gear-aholic.