The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss C1 Cube

stephengilbert

Dale,

My Mountaineer (GT 2530) has a removeable center column. You unscrew the bottom, remove the column, and then screw the bottom piece back on to hold the thing together. It is a simple change, requiring no tools.

Steve

Don Libby

Kirk Enterprises has a line of accessories for Gitzo to include plate assemblies that eliminate a center post. I've used Kirk L-Brackets on every camera body I've own for the past 5 years (with the exception of the RS) as well as the plate assemblies. Good company to do business with.

Don

Dale Allyn

Dale,

My Mountaineer (GT 2530) has a removeable center column. You unscrew the bottom, remove the column, and then screw the bottom piece back on to hold the thing together. It is a simple change, requiring no tools.

Steve
Stephen, that's the bit of info we (I) were missing. Thank you! I've not seen it used that way and have only used one myself (a friend's) with a short column.

Isn't it great that we have to work so hard to figure this stuff out? ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
riddle me this:

my 1328 has a leg diameter of about 1-1/4" and would be considered mid-size, for medium format. i wouldn't put it in the 1xxx series smallest designation. it also has the fast set center column and three section legs

my 1325 us very close to the above, but has a fixed top plate (it is not removeable as in the Studex).

my little gitzo (for the m8) has about 1" tubes and is a G1157, what i would call the 1xxx series. it also has the fast center column and three section legs

Dale Allyn

riddle me this:

my 1328 has a leg diameter of about 1-1/4" and would be considered mid-size, for medium format. i wouldn't put it in the 1xxx series smallest designation. it also has the fast set center column and three section legs

my 1325 us very close to the above, but has a fixed top plate (it is not removeable as in the Studex).

my little gitzo (for the m8) has about 1" tubes and is a G1157, what i would call the 1xxx series. it also has the fast center column and three section legs
For some reason (top secret no doubt) Gitzo broke the pattern of numbering your tripod series. That's why didn't buy 1328... the number conspiracy! :D

Kidding aside, if one studies the chart on the RRS page it can be seen that your model is one of the few which breaks the pattern. I'm not smart enough to buy from that series. I have to stick to the simply-numbered series. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
riddle me this:

John:

It's confusing as heck. They changed the numbering convention for the new 6x CF pods. Before 13xx was a CF 3 series size where 3xx was an aluminum 3 series. Now, i *think* this is how the code works: the first number is the series, hence 3xyz is a 3 series size, x is the style (larger number usually means longer overall), y is the number of leg sections and z is that model's revision number. Then the letter at the end, where "S" is for Systematic (no column), R is for a rapid (friction) column, G (at the end) is for a geared column, and L or LVL is for leveling column. Not sure where "mountaineer" and such fit in now...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Stephen, that's the bit of info we (I) were missing. Thank you! I've not seen it used that way and have only used one myself (a friend's) with a short column.

Isn't it great that we have to work so hard to figure this stuff out? ;)
While we're on riddles how's this: the GT3451XLS WHICH Jack has is according to the Gitzo site a four leg-section pod whereas Jack says:

"my main pod is the 3541XLS (it only weighs 1.97kg) and I use it with the first 2 moveable sections fully extended and the last section about 6" extended"

...which kind of implies that it has three leg sections unless Jack means that he uses sections 1,2 and 4 and leaves 3 tucked away.

The plot thickens!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
They count the beginning leg as a section( or tripod legs itself). So that is one than three knobs.

This is Jacks 3541XLS

Load Capacity39.7 lbs (18kg)
Maximum Height78" (198cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column ExtendedN/A
Minimum Height3.9" (10cm)
Folded Length27.6" (70cm)
Head Attachment Fitting3/8"
Weight4.3 lbs (1.970kg)

Guy Mancuso

This is what i am waiting on 3541L with center column. This is a 4 section also
Load Capacity39.6 lbs (18kg)
Maximum Height71.3" (181cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended59.1" (150cm)
Minimum Height6.3" (16cm)
Folded Length23.6" (60cm)
Head Attachment Fitting1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight4.7 lbs (2.1kg)

EDIT I changed the image size

Guy Mancuso

I chose the L version because it folds to 23.6 and easier to stuff in a suitcase. But being my height I would rarely need the center column since it extends right to my height normally with a head on it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
This is what i am waiting on 3541L with center column. This is a 4 section also
Load Capacity39.6 lbs (18kg)
Maximum Height71.3" (181cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended59.1" (150cm)
Minimum Height6.3" (16cm)
Folded Length23.6" (60cm)
Head Attachment Fitting1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight4.7 lbs (2.1kg)

EDIT I changed the image size

Hi Guy,

I followed a hybrid of your and Jack's logic and got a GT3541LS today - initial shots indicate that it is good enough with the Manfrotto 410 geared head not to need a Cube.... phew! But I am about to test that more extensively.

I really like the 'frotto 410 despite that it's friction drags are too tough. It feels very precise and has the simple movements I need.

t

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Guy Mancuso

Hi Guy,

I followed a hybrid of your and Jack's logic and got a GT3541LS today - initial shots indicate that it is good enough with the Manfrotto 410 geared head not to need a Cube.... phew! But I am about to test that more extensively.

I really like the 'frotto 410 despite that it's friction drags are too tough. It feels very precise and has the simple movements I need.

t
Yea you will be at 5 ft to start than by the time you add the head and to the finder it may get up to 5-9 inches taller with head and camera. That's about perfect for me. Than if I have to stretch than use the center column which you could also add later or have as a option with the S model. So that gives you a option if ever the need arises

C

carbonmetrictree

By the way- How long does it take to get the Cube once it's ordered from B&H?

I'm going to New York for my architectural exhibition next week and B&H is in walking distance...maybe I shouldn't bring my wallet with me. :D