The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

another H5d 50 vs H5d 50c

andrew wuttke

HI All

I was given the h5d50 and h5d50c last week to test out I usually shoot with the H5d40 so I was interested to see the CMOS in action

I did a couple of simple tests in studio as I really wanted to see two things

1. colour CCD vs CMOS as many people of this forum are talking about the "CCD look"

2. high ISO and when does it become too noisy

anyway my opinion is you get two extra f stops so 400 on the H5d50 looks like 1600 on the H5d50c etc

and as to the color issue .... a good colour card and if necessary colour adjusting and the CMOS is very very similar to the CCD

ok so dropbox link below if you want to have a look best place to check the noise issue is the potplant in the back

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33130202/hasselblad test jpegs.zip

jerome_m

Thank you very much for taking the time of making the test and posting the pictures.

anyway my opinion is you get two extra f stops so 400 on the H5d50 looks like 1600 on the H5d50c etc
Indeed, and between one and two stops is about what was to be expected from the difference in technology. Even then, I notice that the cmos pictures smooth the details a bit more than the ccd pictures at higher iso.

Edit: I also notice that there is less noise on the colorchecker patches at iso 1600 than at iso 800 on the 50c, which would mean that some kind of automatic noise reduction kicks in at iso 1600. Iso 800 on the 50c being similar to iso 400 on the 40, it would seem that the difference is about one stop before noise reduction.

and as to the color issue .... a good colour card and if necessary colour adjusting and the CMOS is very very similar to the CCD
Indeed they look very similar.

Last edited: