Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed for Getting in to Medium Format!

Post Thanks / Like

Help Needed for Getting in to Medium Format!

Finally I'm planning to enter the medium format league. I'm planning to get a leaf credo 40 or IQ 140 with phase / mamiya Df body with 80mm LS lens. I need your help to select other lenses, but no idea about the other lenses. I'm in a tight budget, so planning to buy used lenses from ebay or B&H. Later I can upgrade. I do fashion and portraits, products and industrial shoots. If I can use a macro lens, which acts as a portrait lens, that will be great. I may consider buying wide angle lens later. Currently I'm shooting with nikon 800e. My fashion shoots mostly go as billboards or huge printouts in streets or in shops. So I need great detailing in the photos. Kindly suggest some great bargain lenses. Also the difference between the two backs Credo40 and IQ140. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Needed for Getting in to Medium Format!

Hello,

I'm MF newcomer myself but maybe you will find some of that information useful.

I have Phase One 645DF with IQ180 and following lenses:

Mamiya AF 45 2.8
    Mamiya AF 55 2.8
    SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH 80 LS
    SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH 110 LS
    Mamiya AF 150 3.5
    Mamiya AF 300 APO 4.5

Because you are interested in good and inexpensive portrait lenses I will write about last 2.

They are both phenomenal in my opinion. Very sharp, with excellent contrast. I attached 100% crop from both. Both were shot at f/6.3. Sorry for crappy crops (I'm to lazy to upload somewhere else so its 1200 pixels wide).

Those examples wasn't manipulated whatsoever (no extra sharpening) — only cropped.

Best,
    Boris
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pasman View Post
    Hello,

I'm MF newcomer myself but maybe you will find some of that information useful.

I have Phase One 645DF with IQ180 and following lenses:

Mamiya AF 45 2.8
    Mamiya AF 55 2.8
    SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH 80 LS
    SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH 110 LS
    Mamiya AF 150 3.5
    Mamiya AF 300 APO 4.5

Because you are interested in good and inexpensive portrait lenses I will write about last 2.

They are both phenomenal in my opinion. Very sharp, with excellent contrast. I attached 100% crop from both. Both were shot at f/6.3. Sorry for crappy crops (I'm to lazy to upload somewhere else so its 1200 pixels wide).

Those examples wasn't manipulated whatsoever (no extra sharpening) only cropped.

Best,
    Boris

Thanks a lot.. I saw the 150 lens on Adorama used section and it was very cheap. I'll check it with my local dealer, the lens is available or not. Thanks once again!

Regards,
    Oamkumar Thottungal

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome.

If I were you I would look to that sweet deal: https://captureintegration.com/refur...iq140-df-kits/ or Pre-Owned IQ140 Kit Promo - DT Blog (I'm obviously not affiliated with either of that excellent companies).

IQ backs compared to Leaf have advantage of excellent screen (much like Retina) and its joy to use. To check focus you just double tap and voila you have 100% zoom. And no stylus like in Leaf back.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The credo has a similar LCD screen to IQ. Both are excellent. Leaf is all touch no hard buttons.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sorry I was talking about Aptus. You can't go wrong with either of Leaf or Phase. The difference between D800E (which is great camera) and last models of MFDB is sensational.
    Boris Pasman
    http://www.pasman.pro

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IQ vs Credo:
    - different color characteristics
    - iq had hard buttons, useful for gloved and no-look operation
    - iq has sensor+ for higher ISO, lower res, faster shooting
    - iq allows auto horizon and auto perspective correction in post
    - iq has focus mask utility
    - optional warranty options differ (max 5 years with loaner provision with iq, 3 years no loaner with credo)
    - price
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Why not the Hasselblad H5D-40 that is on promo at the moment?

The H5 is a much nicer camera that the DF by a long stretch and the file output of the HB is really nice. Much less pumped than the Phase house look and probably something to do with their true colour thing (?). Worth a test of all three to see which you prefer.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The lenses you need on bargain:

150mm the old AF version is good enough, you would be better to buy it new, as it is still very cheap and more likely to be sharp than the used ones.

120mm macro can be used for both macro and portrait. The older versions of the lens are not OK. The sharpest version is the AF version which is quite expensive but try looking for it used. If you can't afford or find that, then look for the Phase One version. After that your last option is the Mamiya D version. The Mamiya non D version is really not satisfactory so stay away from it.

45/35 the older versions are not satisfactory. Your best option is 45 D if you can find it used, otherwise get it new. 35mm Phase One version is also OK, but not earlier versions. You also have 50mm shift older Mamiya which is sharp but needs to manually stop down aperture for each shot - it can be found for $500 used. Old 55 is sharp enough and its new price is low, but perhaps not wide enough for Credo 40.

If you can get Credo cheaper than IQ then get it - the difference is worth very little. There are deals for used Aptus 80 which you can get for $16k - the interface will be stone agey but your files will have twice the resolution and large sensor is a joy to work with. I liked the Aptus very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    IQ vs Credo:
    - different color characteristics
    - iq had hard buttons, useful for gloved and no-look operation
    - iq has sensor+ for higher ISO, lower res, faster shooting
    - iq allows auto horizon and auto perspective correction in post
    - iq has focus mask utility
    - optional warranty options differ (max 5 years with loaner provision with iq, 3 years no loaner with credo)
    - price
    iq has focus mask utility - Love it!

However for tethered fashion / portrait shooting, you can get focus mask in Capture One Pro as well. Even for landscape shooting, some of us have started using Microsoft Surface Pro to get the focus mask and large screen viewing in the field.

- iq has sensor+ for higher ISO, lower res, faster shooting - High ISO specifically will help in low light shooting.

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shlomi View Post
    The lenses you need on bargain:

150mm the old AF version is good enough, you would be better to buy it new, as it is still very cheap and more likely to be sharp than the used ones.
    You might consider Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS f/2.8 AF & Schneider Kreuznach 150mm LS f/3.5, if you are looking for high speed sync in outdoor environment.

110 LS is also an excellent lens, however you may not need it, if you get 80 LS & 150 LS.

Subrata

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    iq has focus mask utility - Love it!

However for tethered fashion / portrait shooting, you can get focus mask in Capture One Pro as well. Even for landscape shooting, some of us have started using Microsoft Surface Pro to get the focus mask and large screen viewing in the field.
    Very true. Though in the case of fashion/portrait the difference in speed of rendering the focus mask can be pretty large. If you shoot several images in a row at a rapid pace then the computer can take several seconds to catch up downloading previous images and render the most recent capture, and then a second or two to calculate and display the focus mask. Whereas on the IQ itself it shows the most recent capture immediately after capture and a focus mask a second or two after that.

Post Thanks / Like

You might consider Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS f/2.8 AF & Schneider Kreuznach 150mm LS f/3.5, if you are looking for high speed sync in outdoor environment.

110 LS is also an excellent lens, however you may not need it, if you get 80 LS & 150 LS.

Subrata
    He asked for a bargain, and you're recommending a $5000 lens.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PM Sent to you Oamkumar

Post Thanks / Like

$5K for a lens is a lot. But I also firmly believe in not skimping on glass. If leaf shutter capability isn't a priority, the Phase/Mamiya 150mm f/2.8 D series is a phenomenal lens with a used FMV of about $2K (give or take a couple hundred)----and a huge leap over the old Mamiya 150AF.

The Phase 150D is one of the best lenses available, and a bargain compared to its leaf shutter capable SK cousin. I "need" that SK 150LS, but what a premium to swap my 150D!

I presume that one of the primary reasons to move into medium format digital is image quality, and skimping on lenses runs counter to the rationale. There aren't any free lunches, and after all, this is Dante's Inferno.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MFDB & bargain doesn't go hand to hand. :-(

Though listed price is $5000+ for some of the LS glasses, there is used market / eBay as well.

I also think LS glasses for high speed sync is one of the critical advantage in MFDB & DF combo over his Nikon D800e. Otherwise MP range is very close. Though he is likely to upgrade MFDB & DF in future, an investment in good glass goes long way.

He should be well informed before he pulls his trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the kind words! I feel this forum is a very good place, where people are very helpful.
    I am planning for 80mm LS lens which can be used for full body shoots on location or in studio. I will not be looking for another LS lens, because, For tight frames, I will not need that that fast shutter speed. Most of my shoots are in studio and there will not be very fast moving.
    I saw a lot of good deals with CI and many other companies. But the problem here is if I have to pay around 35% import duties.
    The phase one dealer here promised me a good deal, waiting for his response to decide.
    Mamiya 150mm f2.8 D at 2K will be fine.. Anyway.. I will meet the dealer next week, he is coming to my city (Kochi - Kerala) for a demo.
    Regards,

Oamkumar Thottungal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oamkumar View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words! I feel this forum is a very good place, where people are very helpful.

I saw a lot of good deals with CI and many other companies. But the problem here is if I have to pay around 35% import duties.

Oamkumar Thottungal
    Or make trip to Singapore for that money instead of paying 35% import duties. :-)

I took twice my MF gears, and no one checked in Delhi Airport. However, since I had return ticket, it was less risky for me.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am receiving the MF by post, then they will surely charge the import duties. And that too (the process) is a big headache.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I am receiving the MF by post, then they will surely charge the import duties. And that too (the process) is a big headache.
    If you buy from CI (my dealer and know them very well), I can deliver to you personally in New Delhi. You just pay my Return Air Fare from San Francisco to Delhi. Figure out if that is cheaper than 35% import duty or not. Options are unlimited in GetDPI forum :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi 'Oamkumar'
    interesting that you are trying to upgrade from the D800e to MFD
    i have a few questions - and since i'm also based in India - i will find your answers very relevant:

1. forget the import problem - who in India is going to give you the dealership support?
    even a casual perusal of the posts on this forum will show you that MFD needs a dealer (and close proximity to repair/service centre) - just one example of why MF manufacturers too think this important - the warranty terms include a loaner back) are you willing to live weeks without your MFD while its couriered across to europe, if you need service?

2. I notice from your previous posts that you've done a comparison of - quote " a in studio test with D800e with new phase one IQ250, haselblad h4d-40, leaf aptus 80mp and 5d Mark III. And the lenses were normal lenses" unquote -
    do you really think a 40mp MFD will enhance your image quality?
    btw - in that test you used a Nikkor 50/1.8D on D800e ... try the test again with a Zeiss, even the 50/2 Makro, if not the Otus

3. my own professional experience shows that the output-printing quality in India is so "variable" (am trying to be politically correct here) that it robs all of the minute differences in colour & tonal gradation that we work so hard to capture

now - instead of that small 40 MP back .. if you were looking at the 80mp backs .. my questions would be different..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kapil Syal View Post
    Hi 'Oamkumar'
    interesting that you are trying to upgrade from the D800e to MFD
    i have a few questions - and since i'm also based in India - i will find your answers very relevant:

1. forget the import problem - who in India is going to give you the dealership support?
    even a casual perusal of the posts on this forum will show you that MFD needs a dealer (and close proximity to repair/service centre) - just one example of why MF manufacturers too think this important - the warranty terms include a loaner back) are you willing to live weeks without your MFD while its couriered across to europe, if you need service?

2. I notice from your previous posts that you've done a comparison of - quote " a in studio test with D800e with new phase one IQ250, haselblad h4d-40, leaf aptus 80mp and 5d Mark III. And the lenses were normal lenses" unquote -
    do you really think a 40mp MFD will enhance your image quality?
    btw - in that test you used a Nikkor 50/1.8D on D800e ... try the test again with a Zeiss, even the 50/2 Makro, if not the Otus

3. my own professional experience shows that the output-printing quality in India is so "variable" (am trying to be politically correct here) that it robs all of the minute differences in colour & tonal gradation that we work so hard to capture

now - instead of that small 40 MP back .. if you were looking at the 80mp backs .. my questions would be different..
    Kapil,

I'm not getting into Nikon D800e vs. MFDB image quality debate here, however I can say when I had tested Nikon D800e vs. IQ160 (which I own), Nikon D800e didn't have color and tonal recipe of Phase One. Again, this thread is not intended for that discussion. Assumption was Omkumar is planning to enter the medium format league.

FYI... my family friend and one of the top of the line fashion photographer in India (https://www.facebook.com/studiodubs) uses both Nikon as well as MFDB. He told me that he rents MFDB in India based on how big the job is. If you wish, have a chat with him. Technical Support by phone should be possible wherever you are in the world.

Yes, physical loaner could be an issue, but you will have Nikon D800e & 50/2 Makro as a backup. :-)

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like

Kapil,

....Technical Support by phone should be possible wherever you are in the world.

....Subrata
    Or just give Subrata a call and he'll be on the next flight to India.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your inputs Subrata1965 - India 2014 is a bit different from your memories. why?
    welll:
    1. 35% duty is cheap insurance to make the manufacturer give us the same "privileges" as the rest of the world
    2. most (Hasselblad Nikon Canon et al) have local distributors AND service - AND have absorbed that 35% into their list prices .. they manage to sell us their best at globally competent prices
    eg. Nikon D800e - $ equivalent 2825. Sony A7 - $ equivalent 1440
    and me, and two friends can tell you dramatically how valuable it was to have an india billing and warranty for the lovely D600 ..

btw - i am one of those technically challenged individuals who find it difficult to rent equipment .. mainly because blind familiaity with the controls/behavior and process of our gear differentiates us professionals from the sunday brigade ..

but thank you for replying

Post Thanks / Like

Subrata1965 - Thanks for the offer. I will consider that :-)
    Thanks for the replies. Actually I am looking for a medium format, and hence not expecting a great image quality upgrade. Here my works do not need 16bit color al least for now. My clients will convert the files to 8bit CMYK and print them as billboards or magazine prints. This is just to impress the clients and most of the advertising agencies emphasize that their photographer works with medium format camera and that that’s the best. So they can bill the client according to that. But sometimes, huge billboards shows a marked difference. I am sure that the 40mp credo cannot deliver much better detail and quality when compared to my D800E and 85mm f1.8G or zeiss otus 55mm. But the color will be much better for sure. However, the shadow details are a plus in D800E. I am not starting a debate here as 800 vs Credo 40. I just want to impress the clients. There are renting options in Chennai. They have IQ180 or Hasselblad 40mp cam available for rent. But some of my clients will not have the budget for a rent and shoot medium format.
    I got a good quote from the Phase dealer here. US $ 12,800 for the Credo 40, 80mm LS lens and Phaseone DF+ back with warranty (Slightly used). And he asked me about 56mp Leaf Aptus II 10. Is that a good choice? I think that’s a full frame sensor. What about the corner quality?

Regards,
    Oamkumar Thottungal

Post Thanks / Like

16 bit doesn't mean anything - it's just a marketing buzzword.

Leaf 56 MP is not full frame - it is 56mm x 3mm, which is not 4:3 ratio like most MF backs, but a little wider than 35mm DSLR.

I've had this back for a year a liked it.

I've had no problems with the corners.

Note that the 56MP back is old technology so:
    - user interface on the touch screen is not very modern or easy to see or operate.
    - the colors out of the back are very pretty but sometimes if you shoot strange colors, it will give you a different color than reality.

Both of these problems do not exist with Credo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks..
    One more doubt.. 80mm LS lens. In full frame it will be equal to 50mm in 35mm format, what will be the focal length in this credo 40 back?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the crop factor on the Credo 40/IQ140 is 1.3

Subrata has his Phase DF and lenses for sale. Make the purchase and have him deliver to India.

http://www.getdpi.com/wp/classifieds...f4-5-d/ca/usa/ It's hard to beat a deal from a trusted GetDPI family member.

ken

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hope you realize you walked into Dante's Inferno. Give your wife your credit cards. Trust me your much safer if you can believe that. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.. That's a nice offer.. But the problem is I'm planning to get only the basic kit first.. Then add more lenses to it later. I can not afford many lenses at a time. To be frank, I am struggling to arrange the money for this kit. Within few months, I will take some more lenses.
    Guy - true.. There are a lot of good offers here.. I have to give my card to my wife.. :-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can compare effective focal lengths here:
    Tech Camera, Image Circle, Focal Length Equivalent

This will answer your question about the credo 40 and an 80ls.

Simply select "credo 40" on one line with an 80ls and another camera you are more familiar with on the second line (eg 5d3).

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's a very good tool. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to buy credo 60 and phaseone 645 df+ back, 80mm LS lens and 150mm LS lens. All new. And extension tubes. And I will get wide and 120 macro TS version later. And hope my camera will reach me this week.. Waiting..! Thanks a lot for the help everyone!
    My shoots last 10 - 12 hrs and I will be shooting through USB. I would like to know do I have to buy extra batteries for body and back? If yes, how many shots credo battery last.? And df body accepts different battery.. Do I need to buy that too extra?

Thanks and regards
    Oamkumar Thottungal

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

I would definitely get several extra batteries for your MFDB. The Li-ion insert battery for the DF/DF+ lasts an extremely long time. At most you'll need two battery inserts allowing you to charge one while the other is in use. In reality, you won't ever deplete the DF li-ion battery insert during one session. The inexpensive AA battery insert (with Energizer lithium AAs) will work fine as a backup.

ken

p.s. If you shoot tethered, you might want to check out the Surface Pro for working on location

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Leaf Aptus II rather than the Leaf Credo back. I find the battery lasts for a period of time, rather than a number of shots. For example, if the battery lasts two hours, then you can take as many shots as you like within the two hours. If you just leave it running and shoot zero pictures, it will still die after two hours. The time the battery lasts is also affected by the brightness setting of the screen and how often the screen is in use.

You need a separate battery for the camera body. Capture Integration currently has a sale running on the Ejji batteries and charger. But we found out the Phase One battery doesn't fit in the Ejji charger, and the Ejji battery doesn't fit in the Phase One Charger. Although either one will fit in the camera. The 645DF+ comes with a Phase One Li-ion battery and charger. These batteries are good for 10,000 shots before you need to recharge them. So you might be better off getting one more Phase One battery, even though it costs more than the Ejji battery, so you only need one charger.

Regarding "120 macro TS version." The Schneider Kreuznach 120mm Manual Focus Tilt / Shift Lens is not a macro lens. I haven't tried one, so I couldn't tell you anything about it. I was just pointing out that it's not actually a macro lens. You can just use your extension tubes with it. All the lenses are manual focus with extension tubes anyway.

--Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I decided to buy credo 60 and phaseone 645 df+ back, 80mm LS lens and 150mm LS lens. All new. And extension tubes. And I will get wide and 120 macro TS version later. And hope my camera will reach me this week.. Waiting..! Thanks a lot for the help everyone!
    My shoots last 10 - 12 hrs and I will be shooting through USB. I would like to know do I have to buy extra batteries for body and back? If yes, how many shots credo battery last.? And df body accepts different battery.. Do I need to buy that too extra?

Thanks and regards
    Oamkumar Thottungal
    Congratulations Oamkumar! Welcome to the club!!!

I just came back from India, and trying to catch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ken and Steve.. I will buy 1 extra battery for DF+ and 2 for Leaf. I never used surface pro. Actually I use my 13 " macbook pro for outdoor shoots and 27" iMac latest version for studio shoots. with iMac I can use usb3. FW port is unavailable in this. Adaptor can be used but not sure it can charge the battery inside the back, while shooting tethered.

Oam

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Subrata.. hope it was a great journey!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and regards
    Oamkumar Thottungal
    You will love it. The 60-MP sensor is a significant jump in size and resolution over the Nikon D800E sensor. Much more significant jump than with the 40MP IQ140/Credo 40 sensor. The 80 and 150mm focal lengths are perfect for people work with the large sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.. I am waiting for the camera to reach my hands! Mostly on Monday!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally I'm a Proud owner of Phaseone DF+ with 80mm LS and 150mm LS with Credo 60.. Thanks a lot for all the help.. dear friends!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi..
    I recently bought a Mamiya 120mm F4 macro lens. Its a D version and for a few days it worked fine. And after that it starting showing errors. While pressing the trigger there is a strange noise from the cam and the aperture remains closed. I tried removing the lens, still the aperture remain closed. reconnected, but still error shows. After sometime, by removing the lens and battery, it finally went back to the original state. Again after some more clicks the same condition repeats. Is it a common problem for this lens? If yes, for macro purpose, which other version is better? This was an optically superb lens. I cannot afford the new 120mm LS.
    Attaching the image of the lens.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ew?usp=sharing
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi..
    I recently bought a Mamiya 120mm F4 macro lens. Its a D version and for a few days it worked fine. And after that it starting showing errors. While pressing the trigger there is a strange noise from the cam and the aperture remains closed. I tried removing the lens, still the aperture remain closed. reconnected, but still error shows. After sometime, by removing the lens and battery, it finally went back to the original state. Again after some more clicks the same condition repeats. Is it a common problem for this lens? If yes, for macro purpose, which other version is better? This was an optically superb lens. I cannot afford the new 120mm LS.
    Thanks in advance.
    Kumar, is this a problem only with the 120 or also with other lenses? Does it 'reset' if you detach the digital back and put it on again? It is possible that the shutter in the lens is not opening which may be a camera related problem and not primarily due to the lens. I had something similar happen to me.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi..
    Again after some more clicks the same condition repeats. Is it a common problem for this lens?
    Thanks in advance.
    Might this topic be better put in its own, better-titled thread (than tacked onto a 2014 one!)?
    --just a thought,
    -d.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't believe the IQ140 or Credo 40 is worth considering over a Nikon D810 UNLESS you plan to upgrade to a higher megapixel back and want to build a lens kit around it.

I did a comparison of my IQ140 with a tech camera lens (I believe it was the 28mm Schneider) and a D810 with a Zeiss lens of comparable focal length. I couldn't see any meaningful difference in resolution though I did like the color from the IQ140 somewhat more. However the color could probably be tweaked to match.

I now have the IQ180 and can say it's way better than the IQ140.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi..
    Thanks in advance.
    Just a shot into the dark. But it might be a firmware issue. The 120 macro may be a firmware carrying lens. For sure the DF+ has firmware. You would need to check with a phase one dealer as Mamiya and Phase One are one company.

If the DF+ needs a more current firmware. You need the V grip to upgrade lens or camera firmware.

I know for a fact early versions of the 28mm and DF Had a similar issue which was resolved with firmware on the lens.

It also may be batteries in the DF+. Are you using the AA holder or the Lion pack? The lion pack is much more dependable.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Help Needed for Getting in to Medium Format!

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Kumar, is this a problem only with the 120 or also with other lenses? Does it 'reset' if you detach the digital back and put it on again? It is possible that the shutter in the lens is not opening which may be a camera related problem and not primarily due to the lens. I had something similar happen to me.
    Thanks. Yes This problem is only with 120mm Macro MF D lens. And this is the only focal plane lens I have. Others are leaf shutter lenses. I have to find out that it's a Camera problem or Lens problem.
    Last edited by Oamkumar; 11th December 2015 at 17:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Just a shot into the dark. But it might be a firmware issue. The 120 macro may be a firmware carrying lens. For sure the DF+ has firmware. You would need to check with a phase one dealer as Mamiya and Phase One are one company.

If the DF+ needs a more current firmware. You need the V grip to upgrade lens or camera firmware.

I know for a fact early versions of the 28mm and DF Had a similar issue which was resolved with firmware on the lens.

It also may be batteries in the DF+. Are you using the AA holder or the Lion pack? The lion pack is much more dependable.

Paul C
    Thanks Paul. My DF+ is holding the latest firmware update. 2.31.0 and the 120mm Macro firmware is 0.30.0, which I do not know the latest or not. I am using both kinds of batteries. I have a new Li-on battery too. But the problem exist in that too. Anyway today I'm planning to check this lens in my friend's DF body and his macro lens in mine. Thanks once again for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Oamkumar
    I had similar issues with a DF+/Credo/IQ/PhaseOne lens combos and it turned out to be the camera...we think.

Does the mirror sound like it goes up to take the exposure and then....nothing? Or does it just make a slight sound like aperture closing right before capture and then fails to proceed with capture sequence?
    When it happens, does re-seating the digital back on the DF+ fix the problem ...at least temporarily?

-After numerous trips back to the dealer they found something wrong with the camera mirror/shutter mechanism and fixed it on warrantee. It is more consistent now but still the DF+ has bugs related to power and its motors somehow. After our fixes it is only happening occasionally now and is usually a battery down to about 20% or less
    -Also there is a little known setting in the digital back wherein you tell the digital back that it is using the LiOn batteries or Alk...make sure that is set correctly, I think that helped as well.

I think this problem is fixed entirely with the new camera (XF) but I don't know as I do not own one. Hope that helps, you aren't alone! When I experienced the same problems I felt very alone as I couldn't find anyone else experiencing this or some of the other issues we had, but my dealer stepped up and helped us out. I hope you get similar support there in India, it really helps because these cameras tend to be "prima donnas" imo...each has a personality. More so with the older Aptus-12 we had.
    Sorry to hear of your problem there, its a great system when working properly, I assure you!...Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Yes This problem is only with 120mm Macro MF D lens. And this is the only focal plane lens I have. Others are leaf shutter lenses. I have to find out that it's a Camera problem or Lens problem.
    Kumar, does the image come out absolutely black, like there was no exposure, despite the camera making the right sounds? Then it may be that the shutter in the camera does not open with this particular lens. Best way, as you said is to test the lens with another DF body.