The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss D4 geared head. Which one?

tjv

Hi all,
After many months of deliberation, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy an Arca D4 geared head (if I can find one!)...
Anyway, I'm wondering which fitting people here opt for and the pros and cons of either the flip lock or classic fitting. I understand that they both accommodate the standard Arca plates, but which one is more convenient to use in practice? I've used the classic in the past, and I guess it comes down to wether or not you can be bothered manually tightening the lock? Is the flip lock mechanism easy to operate in a hurry and does it have a safety lock? I'm going to use it with my Linhof Techno and Technorama cameras.
Thanks in advance!
TJV

RodK

Hi all,
After many months of deliberation, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy an Arca D4 geared head (if I can find one!)...
Anyway, I'm wondering which fitting people here opt for and the pros and cons of either the flip lock or classic fitting. I understand that they both accommodate the standard Arca plates, but which one is more convenient to use in practice? I've used the classic in the past, and I guess it comes down to wether or not you can be bothered manually tightening the lock? Is the flip lock mechanism easy to operate in a hurry and does it have a safety lock? I'm going to use it with my Linhof Techno and Technorama cameras.
Thanks in advance!
TJV
The Classic knob is the most versatile, especially if you have mixed plates. If your plates are all the same brand the flip lock can be a bit quicker once you see how it works. But if you have mixed plates it may need adjustment as other manufacturers, while making 'Arca-Swiss style', QR's, choose to change the width of their plates and so adjustment may required for some plates with the fliplock. So my choice is classic type.
As the knob is now captive, you won't have any knobs coming undone and lost in the back seat or trunk either.
You will also have the choice of our new, smaller, monobalfix plates, should you so choose.
Hope this helps,
Rod

gazwas

I've used both the classic and fliplock and I really liked them both and don't understand the issue many have with the fliplock. The P1 with fliplock I had for a while was great and easy to adjust the chuck tension however I much prefer the standard classic version.

As Rod said, the classic will take many different manufacturers size Arca style plates and will lock as tight as your fingers allow. For me turning the screw on the classic is about as quick release as any other quick released that usually have two stage actions so I never understood any benefit to anything else.

I have the classic on my Cube and liked it enough to order the classic on my Z1g+ that just arrived on Friday.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the D4 geared with the arca flip lock head. So long as you have some semblance of finger nails it's a very secure locking clamp and you get used to the slightly fiddly but safe locking mechanism.

If there's a complaint about the D4 it's that the release for the base can interfere with the top plate of the tripod.

Paul2660

Looking at screen shots of the D4, the bottom pan knob looks like it might get blocked by the top plate of the tripod as Graham mentioned.

Anyone using this with a RRS style 3 leg large tripod, or Gitzo Series 3? Both of them have about the same diameter tops.

Thanks
Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use the flip lock. Twice I almost lost a whole system off a tripod with a RRS pano clamp. So never will I use a screw clamp again. I just try and use the same brand plates for different cams.

torger

I have the Arca-Swiss D4 with classic screw clamp which I use with my Linhof Techno. My original intention was to replace it with a RRS flip-lock clamp, so I bought the classic because it was the cheapest (you couldn't buy without clamp) but that was before I knew Arca had replaced their loctite with a new one which is near impossible to remove. It's probably possible to remove if you got professional heating equipment and skill but it's not as easy as it was before.

Of course disappointed that Arca had removed the possibility of user customization, but anyhow I ended up getting used to the classic clamp. I had a screw clamp on my previous head too, and actually I don't really see much use of a quick lock for this type of camera. It takes about 3 seconds to tighten, and seen to the workflow as a whole reducing that's not bad. The thing is that you don't loosen the clamp more than you need to remove the camera (you tilt it to the side the same time as you unscrew so it pops out just when open wide enough), and then it takes very few turns to tighten it again. Quick lock will probably save you only 1 or 2 seconds, if even that.

The strong points of the screw clamp is that you get more pressure than flip locks, and that it's not sensitive on the exact plate size so you can use third-party plates without issues. It's also more easily operated with gloves which is a plus for me that shoot in cold weather during winter.

If I would buy again I would get the classic clamp again. None of Arca's clamps have the same good look and feel of the competitors like RRS. Arcas are smaller and look a bit cluttered, but anyway it's not much one can do as these are more or less permanently fastened these days. And then I prefer the classic clamp. If I could get one of those huge flip lock clamps like RRS I might have got that one instead, but I kind of like the screw clamp.

The D4 head itself is great and works nicely with the Techno, despite the Techno is one of the heavier tech cams out there (at least when the sliding back is attached). If used to locked gear heads one have to get used to the unlocking knobs which can feel bit insecure, I actually did a classic finger squeeze the first day with the D4 (ouch!). Not used to ball heads or anything like that I thought those locking knobs would sit securely if just casually tightened, but of course one needs to tighten them hard. Learning the hard way I know always tighten them hard and have never had problem since. Actually it's quite nice to be able to unlock when working with vertical positions or other extreme angles which I sometimes do. When working in extreme angles the pano needs to be tightened hard too as otherwise the camera may turn.

About losing the system off the head with a screw clamp, I have no worries. You should make sure that your plate has pegs just as the clamp so that it cannot slide off when loosened, that's an important feature. What then happens if you have your head tilted and you by confusion loosen the clamp instead of say the pano it will slide and stop against the pegs, or more likely it will stop earlier due to the camera tilts and creates friction. I have actually tried this. One disadvantage of the screw clamp is that you have screwing motion both on the clamp and on the top pano, to very different screw motions though but still my brain sent my hand to the wrong knob when I had my eyes on the ground glass of my tilted camera and then I unscrewed the clamp instead of the pano. I became a bit surprised when the camera slided a few centimeters, but there was no risk of falling off due to the pegs. It had stopped due to friction before the safety pegs was used though.

With the Techno I use a really long plate with two screw fastenings, I recommend that.

gazwas

If there's a complaint about the D4 it's that the release for the base can interfere with the top plate of the tripod.
Looking at screen shots of the D4, the bottom pan knob looks like it might get blocked by the top plate of the tripod as Graham mentioned.

Anyone using this with a RRS style 3 leg large tripod, or Gitzo Series 3? Both of them have about the same diameter tops.
This came to light when the new Gitzo (triangular tops) Systematics were released as I think I started a thread on it after reading a review I found online but it was all over exaggerated by the original source IMO.

The D4 has an almost identical bottom as the Cube and pretty much all Arca heads have the base pan in a very similar position. What the clever clogs at Arca have done is design the base pan knob to operate anticlockwise so at 11 o'clock its locked and an anticlockwise turn to 9 o'clock unlocks meaning at no time does the knob get blocked by the top plate of the tripod and prevent locking or unlocking.

I use my Arca heads on the new triangular style series 3 and 5 Gitzo Systematics and never had an issue with them blocking the pan.

torger

Same here, I have Gitzo systematic tripod with the huge platform, and the bottom pan is no problem. You can turn the knob into a position so it does block, but you don't need to. When locked tight it's out of the way, and when open it's also out of the way. If you open it up more than you need you can make the knob point down and block rotation but as said you don't need to. I'm assuming that when the Arca heads are mounted they make sure that the bottom pan knob is put in a position so it can be locked and unlocked without pointing the knob downwards.

tjv

Thanks for all your help, guys!
Good advise from all re. the pros and cons of each head. I'm still a bit undecided, but the classic lock seems to be swaying me.
In terms of plates, which ones do people here use? I see Arca make them in different sizes and configurations, and Torger has mentioned he uses the longer plate with his Techno, which I think I'll go for too.

Serie classic + Flip-lock

Torger: Which plate are you using with your Techno? The 150mm long plate? I'd like to get one that I can screw to the camera permanently, and the duel, variable position screws on this look great. Camera plate long, 150mm, 2x 1/4, variabel

torger

Thanks for all your help, guys!
Torger: Which plate are you using with your Techno? The 150mm long plate? I'd like to get one that I can screw to the camera permanently, and the duel, variable position screws on this look great. Camera plate long, 150mm, 2x 1/4, variabel
I got it with the camera when I bought it second hand, so I don't know exactly which it is. It's an RRS plate though, not Arca-Swiss. It looks very similar to that Arca-Swiss one though, and you have the measurements there so if it fits the Techno's screw hole (which I think it does) it should work out perfectly.

However there is one thing I'd like to know about that Arca plate which I can't see on the images, if it has those pegs to protect from accidental sliding off. My RRS plate has it, and I think that is something you really should have.

Can't find anything on RRS web site, but here's an image of the "pegs", actually screws on the sides that protect the camera from accidentally sliding off: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/zoom-rrsweb-2-B35-bottom-8BIT-1.png

My plate is longer than that on the image.

gazwas

I exclusively use the smaller Monoball fix Arca Swiss plates and think they are amazing. The smaller plates have the pins in the base to allow them to slide but stop when they meet pins in the chuck.

Very low profile and holds equally as good as the larger plates. Many of the smaller plate have pins to match up with the guide holes in the base of many cameras or some sort of camera specific lip that acts as an anti-twist feature. Addidtionall I've found the range of accessories in the Monoball Fix range to be vast - from L-Brackets to Nodal point/Panoramic solutions.

PeterL

I also use the new MonoBall-Fix type plates and head on my D4, no problems mounting Alpa TC and STC. I use it on a RRS 3 series tripod, there are absolutely no problems with the D4 locks interfering with the base tripod plate.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The only interference I've had is due to mounting the head on a RRS plate on a RRS clamp on top of my tripod. I don't think that it would be a problem with a std head mounted directly on the tripod. In my case there's a groove that the base knob can drop down into - not the std situation for other folks I would think.

tjv

It's a long shot, but does anyone here use the D4 with a Linhof Techorama 612PCII? I'm wanting to double check that the classic head is able to be mounted to the camera when in the upside down position, with viewfinder attached in the centre accessory shoe, and still allow some movements. The Linhof 3D Micro head with Arca-Swiss attachment is too big to mount in this way, but in Linhof Quickset configuration allows some small movements.

I actually think the Linhof 3D looks like a really sweet head, it's just a pity it's limited to 12 degree movements. I know a few people here use the Linhof and reckon it compared well with the Cube, all be it with more limited features. Do any owners of this head have anything of worth to respond to this review I found: Linhof 3D Micro Review
Some of the details he describes with regards to build quality surprise me, particularly because my Techno is so beautifully made and finished.

Back to the D4, does anyone know how often they come into stock? It seems that no one ever has them on the shelf or can give an eta.

Now... Just gotta get my 2013 tax refund credited to my account and the fun can start...

gazwas

It's a long shot, but does anyone here use the D4 with a Linhof Techorama 612PCII? I'm wanting to double check that the classic head is able to be mounted to the camera when in the upside down position, with viewfinder attached in the centre accessory shoe, and still allow some movements.
I'm not sure what fitting is on the Linhof but could you not use one of Arcas MonoballFix Variokit plates and hang the camera infront or to the side of the tripod head?

Alternatively you could buy a section of Arca rail that will fit directly in the classic quickset and a MonoballFix Carrier (052010) and screw you camera on to that. This will also give you some extra geared movements.

Additionally, you could try contacing Arca direct and I'm 100% Mr Vogt will have a perfect solution......... There will always be a way!

torger

I actually think the Linhof 3D looks like a really sweet head, it's just a pity it's limited to 12 degree movements. I know a few people here use the Linhof and reckon it compared well with the Cube, all be it with more limited features. Do any owners of this head have anything of worth to respond to this review I found: Linhof 3D Micro Review
Some of the details he describes with regards to build quality surprise me, particularly because my Techno is so beautifully made and finished.
As much as I like Linhof I have my doubts about their quality assurance and attention to detail. The poor finishing of the Linhof head in that review is most certainly a bad sample, the exact same type of rubber knobs is very well finished on my Linhof Techno. There are other details that I'm not so impressed with though as I cover in my Linhof Techno review (poorly tilt scale, poorly made infinity stops and a few other issues), which does indicate that Linhof has some issues. The competition is tough from companies like Arca-Swiss and Alpa so I really hope Linhof try to improve their game as they make some truly unique products.

It's not really acceptable that a product at this price level should have this sample variation, but well, it seems to have. What you do is that you order the gear, verify it carefully and send it back if it's not good. I'm sure that if it looks good and feels good it will be good, it's just that they let some samples slip through quality assurance that should not. Truly devastating to send one of those for a review...

gazwas

Back to the D4, does anyone know how often they come into stock? It seems that no one ever has them on the shelf or can give an eta.
Now that is not so easy to answer as they (and all Arca's heads) are so in demand (I'm in the UK) that as soon as a shop gets stock its gets sold within a few days. Testament to them IMO and very much worth the wait.

Robert White Photographic usually get stock regularly from Arca so might be worth contacting them. They did have a D4 Classic last week but looking at their site today its now sold.