The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss E-Module Cloud Close-focus question

Does anyone have any personal experience with the A/S E-Module Cloud on normal to portrait (ie. 80mm to 150mm) lenses at closer focus distances (under 3m/10ft) for portrait work?

So far, I have only used the system with wide lenses (43mm mainly), but am wondering how well it would work for studio portrait work (all else aside).

Cheers.

The challenge with E-Module Cloud is "calibration" and it may not be 100% accurate. The process is you estimate infinity (say 1/2 mile) and focus an object with your eyes through the E-Module cloud. The device records it, next you focus something at 10ft (you need to measure it) and then focus with your eyes through the device, and see what distance reading you are getting. If you are not getting accurate focus, then you need to re-calibrate your infinity focus, and repeat the process until you get desirable distance reading.

Hence there is a dependency on how good your eyesight is, which is also subject to change if you are in 40+ like me.

I didn't give-up yet, but didn't spend enough time to calibrate it. Will try again during Memorial Day Long Weekend, since your post reminded me about it. :)

Once you calibrate it, it will work nicely for portrait work. You will be able to mount it on the side of the camera and focus through your eyes, read the focus distance and align your Tech Cam's focusing distance and align accordingly.

Since DOF depends on where you are focusing, this device nicely shows the relative DOF based on your focus point.

Again, then catch is how well you calibrate it.

Subrata

Yes, I'm familiar with the set-up. I own one. :)

But specifically, my question is about longer focal lengths for portrait work (without stopping down to increase DoF).

When properly calibrated, I get perfect focusing every time with my 43mm, but it's not a good lens for close-up work. Also, when trying to close focus with the 43mm, the amount you need to turn the focus ring to make a small change on the E-mod C. is huge at close distances, so I question how accurate it can be.

Paul2660

Jay,

I know that Rod Klukas, the US Arca Rep, uses the e module cloud on the the new Schneider 120mm. He has used this lens in distance work and close up both with the cloud.

Rod in a member on this forum, and you might send him a PM.

Paul

RodK

As Subrata says above, the issue is in calibration. Once done all should be well. But, it must be done in line with the instructions. You cannot cut corners.
I have some additional instructions for the emodule that i will share with anyone who emails me. I will also help via email, telephone or, if necessary with skype.
I use a laser on a second tripod next to the camera, to get exact distances, for the closer subjects you are speaking of.
The infinity I use to set camera, and the emodule, is about 1/2 mile or 800 meters distant. Then began calibration of emodule from that point.
Hope this helps.
Rod
Then try to calibrate