The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

USING A MONOPOD

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Is anyone using a MONOPOD with his/her technical camera to assist HH shooting .
What are your experiences and is a monopod a help or just a waste of money ? ? ?:talk028:

Don Libby

I have and use a monopod however never thought to use it with the WRS as I feel I need both hands available and the monpod would only give me one.

Shashin

I find a monopod gives me about a stop of shutter speed. It is one of those pieces of equipment I keep going back to, but keep finding it not quite worth it. It is closer to shooting on a tripod than to handheld with none of the benefits of either. Although, now I am shooting longer focal lengths, I am using it more. I got a Manfrotto aluminum monopod and it is not expensive--why not try it? Like most pieces of equipment, it is personal and might take a bit of playing with to figure out.

There is one thing I have found a monopod great for, getting above the crowd. I will place a camera on it and then hoist it way above me. I use a cable to release the shutter.

I am not sure how Don is using a monopod, but I have both hands on the camera when I shoot with a monopod.

Don Libby

My usage was more miss than hit until last year when I picked up the 240LS and converter. Earlier in Sept we were in a meadow tracking a big bull elk and I was using a Mamiya 300 on my DF. Sandy used her monopod while I kept to my tripod. We began moving after the elk and I quickly found that Sandy was able to move much faster. That was also the same time I began lusting after the 240/2x so when we returned a couple months later armed with the 240/2x and the monopod life was very good.

Just can't see using it with a tech cam as I prefer to shoot that from a rock solid base. Added to the mix that I usually don't want to change anything between shots other than cocking the shutter I'd be afraid I'd move just enough to throw everything off kilter.

I do agree with Will about using a monopod to gain extra height when shooting either the DF or the Sony 7r IR. Monopods have their uses just not certain about with tech cams.

Don

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Don and Will .

I think , I should be a bit more precise . I often shoot in small and narrow roads
in ancient cities and found the usage of a tripod very unhandy and inefficient .
I will only use my ALPA TC with the viewfinder . No shift , no tilt . Very much like a HASSELBLAD SWC but using different lenses . Rodies 28mm , 35mm and 40mm . So the camera is rather small .

Shashin

I think the camera you have would work really well handheld. Get a cheap Manfrotto monopod and try it. I would recommend that the hight with the head and camera height will allow you to stand up straight. You need to be comfortable.

danlindberg

I use monopod often with both the TC and SWA. Like yourself mostly in narrow streets in old citycentres. To me it works very well, I can comfortably shoot 1/30 with the 35 XL together with a monopod.

Geoff

Have used extensively with AFI. Handheld is (for me) a bit dicey. With monopod, can shoot reliably at 1/40 and with MLU, even to 1/20. Allows for shooting urbanscapes, with deep shadows and low ISO. Indispensible.

alajuela

Hi

Shooting in the hazy air of Shanghai, I use a monopod most of the time with my DF / 80 MP I like it - took about 5 outings to really get the swing of it. - Never tried it with the tech.

I am very happy with it, But I would take Will's advice and get a cheap one and try. If you do like it then - I would suggest the following set up.

1. Carbon fiber one.

2. RRS monopod head (or similar) so you offset the camera about 30 degrees on the monopod. - This way you can use proper technique (unless space confined in which case you just use it perpendicular) , which is the the monopod and your feet form a tripod pattern. Then hold the camera with two hands and downward pressure.

3. Get the large monopod foot - like the Gitzo G1220.130 "Big-Foot" All Terrain Shoe -- This makes a big difference

Gitzo G1220.130 "Big-Foot" All Terrain Shoe G1220.130B

I like the gitzo type round leg adjusters, as opposed to the lever, but I assume that is a question of what you get use to, but it is very easy to lower the setup and drop to one knee and shoot.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:

John Black

With the Leica S2 and Phase One DF, the monopod helped alot in keeping the camera steady for the auto-focus (as opposed to shooting handheld). The Really Right Stuff MH-01 (review) is a nice accessory for tilting the camera up or down. I feel the biggest benefit of the monopod was having the monopod support the weight rather than me. With long lenses like 200mm and 300mm a monopod is indispensable. If moving quickly or working in areas where setting up tripod is difficult (like a river bed with large cobblestones), a monopod is nice to have. The tripod is the most effective, but is more work (carrying, setting up, adjusting, packing up, carrying to the next spot...) A monopod is quite speedy in comparison.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi

Shooting in the hazy air of Shanghai, I use a monopod most of the time with my DF / 80 MP I like it - took about 5 outings to really get the swing of it. - Never tried it with the tech.

I am very happy with it, But I would take Will's advice and get a cheap one and try. If you do like it then - I would suggest the following set up.

1. Carbon fiber one.

2. RRS monopod head (or similar) so you offset the camera about 30 degrees on the monopod. - This way you can use proper technique (unless space confined in which case you just use it perpendicular) , which is the the monopod and your feet form a tripod pattern. Then hold the camera with two hands and downward pressure.

3. Get the large monopod foot - like the Gitzo G1220.130 "Big-Foot" All Terrain Shoe -- This makes a big difference

Gitzo G1220.130 "Big-Foot" All Terrain Shoe G1220.130B

I like the gitzo type round leg adjusters, as opposed to the lever, but I assume that is a question of what you get use to, but it is very easy to lower the setup and drop to one knee and shoot.

Thanks

Phil
I can get a good used GITZO GM2541 (carbon fiber) for a decent price (100€) . It shows only a minor scratch on the head plate .
You mention the RRS Monopod Head and I had a look to that . Rather expensive :) as all good stuff .
If you compare working with that head to working without it , what is the real advantage ? Is that head a "must have" ?
The G1220.130 "big foot" might be a good accessory . I will try that out and see if it works for me .

alajuela

I can get a good used GITZO GM2541 (carbon fiber) for a decent price (100€) . It shows only a minor scratch on the head plate .
You mention the RRS Monopod Head and I had a look to that . Rather expensive :) as all good stuff .
If you compare working with that head to working without it , what is the real advantage ? Is that head a "must have" ?
The G1220.130 "big foot" might be a good accessory . I will try that out and see if it works for me .
Hi

The real advantage of the head is that you can tilt the camera in relation to to the monopod, --so now when the camera is level with ground (horizon) the monopod is slightly angled away from you - thus forming the "tripod" with your two feet. Very stable.

I got the RRS head when the only other option was Manfrotto, which besides having a low weight capacity , it took a Manfrotto plate - which does not work for me.

I did go on B&H and saw this -- Sirui L-10 Monopod Tilt Head. Cheaper than RRS

I have heard good things about this brand.

Sirui L-10 Monopod Tilt Head BSRL10 B&H Photo Video

W/O Out the head you will always be shooting perpendicular - like having a stick on your camera, I think if you use a head and lightly tilt the camera - you will really make full use on the monopod, and of course you can in a cramped situation, straighten the head and use the monopod as a "stick" - which I have done shooting sports and in a theater where space is limited.

I think you will really appreciate and enjoy the Monopod, it is an easily overlooked useful aid, especially with MF

ondebanks

All the Arca-compatible "monopod heads" I've seen are at ripoff prices. Even the cheapest are ~ $110. Come on, it's a $25 Arca-style clamp on top of a single non-geared pivot with a lock knob: $85-$200 for that minor addition? :wtf:

So on my monopod, I just use an Arca-compatible ballhead that I already had.

This is actually a better choice in my view than a "monopod head" because with a ball head, you can always level the camera even when the monopod foot cannot be placed (or is not best placed) directly in front of you, which can happen in some terrain.

Will recommended trying "a cheap Manfrotto monopod". I can go one better and recommend that you try a 7dayshop one for £7.99 :thumbs:
That's what I have and it does the job. I think I've only really used it on some rambles with the family; apart from the stabilising the photos, it actually makes it more comfortable to carry the Mamiya on long walks up hills. And combined with the ballhead, it's really nimble and flexible in use. (If my young family is with me, as is usually the case, setting up a tripod for each shot is just not going to happen!).

Ray

jotloob

Subscriber Member
All the Arca-compatible "monopod heads" I've seen are at ripoff prices. Even the cheapest are ~ $110. Come on, it's a $25 Arca-style clamp on top of a single non-geared pivot with a lock knob: $85-$200 for that minor addition? :wtf:
. . . . . . . .
Ray
Very well said , Ray . :thumbup:
I had a look to the so called "Monopod Heads" of all brands inclusive the clones . Some look really very nice . But I decided for the Vanguard PH-10
which I will receive next week and hopefully I will get the (used) Gitzo GM2541 monopod as well . I will try that combination first and can always "upgrade" if required .

Thank you guys for all the hints . Special thanks to Phil for his description of the "human tripod" in post #10 . :)