The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New - Cambo Actus View Camera for Sony A7

torger

???? You need to do more than put a 16-bit A/D converter in a back to make it 16-bit. The sensor needs to be able to record 16-bits of information.
And file format. Phase One IIQ L only store 14 bit, scaled up to 16 bit at load time but does not change that only 14 bit is actually stored. No real information is lost of course as the sensor can't deliver 16 bit anyway, so it's just good design of the format.

16 bit color has been b*ll from start and most know that these days so it's not a plus for credibility to use it in marketing. Better color they may still have but for other reasons. Not an excuse to lie to the potential customer IMHO, and I'm glad that most MF sales people have dropped the 16 bit claim, but still it appears now and then. I will jump at it every time.

Steve Hendrix

So in other words a whole new set of lenses will be required?

That is my understanding - similar to the same situation if you purchased a Cambo X2. Compatible lenses would be manual aperture lenses like older Mamiya 645, RZ, Hasselblad V, etc, as well as Rodenstock and Schneider lenses, but they come in standard flat boards.

The Cambo helical focus lenspanel would be too large for this camera.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

And file format. Phase One IIQ L only store 14 bit, scaled up to 16 bit at load time but does not change that only 14 bit is actually stored. No real information is lost of course as the sensor can't deliver 16 bit anyway, so it's just good design of the format.

16 bit color has been b*ll from start and most know that these days so it's not a plus for credibility to use it in marketing. Better color they may still have but for other reasons. Not an excuse to lie to the potential customer IMHO, and I'm glad that most MF sales people have dropped the 16 bit claim, but still it appears now and then. I will jump at it every time.

I agree. In my discussions with manufacturers, there are some corollary benefits for them to utilize a 16 bit a/d converter. However, with the native bit depth of the sensor being 14 bit, the direct emphasis of "16 bit" as an advantage seems misplaced, if not misleading.

I generally have also seen this scaled back in terms of emphasis - it is stated in materials, but doesn't seem to be as promoted as it once was. But if they stated sensor bit depth and a/d converter specifications separately, that would to be more forthcoming, IMO.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

HI guys,
this is a camera i am dreaming of... wonderful!!!
You dont need the expensive helicoid of cambo or Arca or .... : Onle a simple plate!!! Thats it!!! And the Rodie lenses are possible too! Perfect!
If this part is available i will buy it. I have some lenses with copal.

One question: Do you need the copal shutter too? The shutter is in the A7??!?! But you need the distance... Hmm and the distance should be very tight..

Sunchai

HI guys,
this is a camera i am dreaming of... wonderful!!!
You dont need the expensive helicoid of cambo or Arca or .... : Onle a simple plate!!! Thats it!!! And the Rodie lenses are possible too! Perfect!
If this part is available i will buy it. I have some lenses with copal.

One question: Do you need the copal shutter too? The shutter is in the A7??!?! But you need the distance... Hmm and the distance should be very tight..
Copal shutter have 2 main functions: speed control and aperture control
A7 will be handle the speed and the copal will be handle the aperture.
The distance will be depend on the using lens. Please also refer to posted #32 in this forum.
Sunchai.

dchew

This is interesting to me. I think I just found a use for my 100HR-S! I assume if I am bullheaded enough I can figure out how to remove the helical permanently and mount it on this Cambo lens board.

Dave

Hi Dave,
unmounting a lens with copal shutter from a helial mount is very easy. But you need the right tools. You need a special "screwdriver" to unscrew it.. If you try it with a normal screwdriver you make everything scrachtes and this is not really good.

This special tool ist not really expensive.

This is interesting to me. I think I just found a use for my 100HR-S! I assume if I am bullheaded enough I can figure out how to remove the helical permanently and mount it on this Cambo lens board.

Dave

Hi Sunchai,
ok with the distance i wrote it not really good.
With distance i mean the distance from the front lens element to the rear lens element. This is the copal shutter... But with a sony A7 you dont need a shutter. But you need the distance of the shutter with its treads..for the right lens focus..

But i have never seen a distance "barrel" for a replacement of the shutter..?!?

mueller

Copal shutter have 2 main functions: speed control and aperture control
A7 will be handle the speed and the copal will be handle the aperture.
The distance will be depend on the using lens. Please also refer to posted #32 in this forum.
Sunchai.

dchew

Mueller,
If you want aperture control you need the shutter assembly anyway, so why not just leave the shutter in there?

Dnve

RodK

Another comment: Arca-Swiss does offer the 091000.7 R bayonet adapter board for 6x9, which allows the use of any R bayonet mounted lens via the bayonet, to be mounted on the Arca-Swiss DSLR2.
This means the same set of lenses can be used on any of our bellows cameras via adapters for 141 or 110(6x9), without reservation down to 35mmXl Schneider or 32mm Rodenstock on Sony A7/A7r. And 70mm and above for Canon and Nikon.
Nothing needs to be changed. Just get the adapter board.
Hope this clarifies this issue.
Rod

Sunchai

Hi Sunchai,
ok with the distance i wrote it not really good.
With distance i mean the distance from the front lens element to the rear lens element. This is the copal shutter... But with a sony A7 you dont need a shutter. But you need the distance of the shutter with its treads..for the right lens focus..

But i have never seen a distance "barrel" for a replacement of the shutter..?!?

mueller

Hi mueller,

The distance from front lens element to the rear lens element (f) is fixed.
The shutter is the part of the lens ,we also can see inside which have no empty spaces.

And thank you to Rod information have wake me up to found the news Rodens information.
the news Rodens 32 HR can be work with the Sory A7
As the Flange focus length (d=69.2) – Flange to lens end (e=46.9)
The space from (Rodens32) Flange lens end to Sony flange at the infinity = 69.2-46.9-18= 4.3 mm

Sunchai.:)

DaveM

Looks really interesting. Are you able to keep the sensor free of dust spots when attached to the bellows?
Thanks
Dave

BJNY

Hoping design of Cambo Actus can accommodate rumored Sony and Fuji mirror-less medium format cameras,
should they come to pass.

Cool that the dovetail is Arca-compatible.

BJNY

@Steve Hendrix

If you have any pull with the folks at Cambo,
I would love for there to be 1/4-20 threads wherever possible on the Actus
allowing for easy attachment of accessories (e.g. flag lens from flare; mount larger 5" or 7" monitor, etc.)

like it is in the filmmaking world where everything from matte boxes to camera cages to fluid heads have "cheese".

Last edited:

ondebanks

I see an RZ67 lens up front in one of Cambo's product shots.

Does the RB/RZ lens board vignette the image circle?

'Cos I'm thinking - why not have a rear camera plate in Mamiya/Phase 645 bayonet mount? On this rig, you'd have loads of back focus clearance for that camera (63.3 mm) in conjunction with those lenses (105mm RZ, 112mm RB). They would also be fine with the Contax 645 (64 mm) and Pentax 645D/Z (70.87 mm).

Who's up for tilt-shift with all RB/RZ lenses on your 645 MFD cameras? :thumbs:

Ray

Pemihan

What about a variant where you can mount a digital back and use various lenses like for instance RZ lenses.

Steve Hendrix

@Steve Hendrix

If you have any pull with the folks at Cambo,
I would love for there to be 1/4-20 threads wherever possible on the Actus
allowing for easy attachment of accessories (e.g. flag lens from flare; mount larger 5" or 7" monitor, etc.)

like it is in the filmmaking world where everything from matte boxes to camera cages to fluid heads have "cheese".

Billy - I will pass along. Some possible limitations for the ability to insert these, based on the current design, but wherever possible, I agree, it would be handy.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

ondebanks

I see an RZ67 lens up front in one of Cambo's product shots.

Does the RB/RZ lens board vignette the image circle?

'Cos I'm thinking - why not have a rear camera plate in Mamiya/Phase 645 bayonet mount? On this rig, you'd have loads of back focus clearance for that camera (63.3 mm) in conjunction with those lenses (105mm RZ, 112mm RB). They would also be fine with the Contax 645 (64 mm) and Pentax 645D/Z (70.87 mm).

Who's up for tilt-shift with all RB/RZ lenses on your 645 MFD cameras? :thumbs:

Ray
Thinking further...it appears that I just invented the Cambo X2-PRO :facesmack:

This new system is a bit more universal though. I'd be looking for one system with M645, Canon EOS and Fuji X mounts on the camera side and M645 and RB/RZ mounts on the lens side.

Ray

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thinking further...it appears that I just invented the Cambo X2-PRO :facesmack:

This new system is a bit more universal though. I'd be looking for one system with M645, Canon EOS and Fuji X mounts on the camera side and M645 and RB/RZ mounts on the lens side.

Ray
In other words : the egg-laying , milk-bearing woolly-saw in pocket format .
:ROTFL:

ondebanks

In other words : the egg-laying , milk-bearing woolly-saw in pocket format .
:ROTFL:
Yes! I mean, why not? They've already got 5 out of my 6 desired connectors. Just needs that one more - M645 camera bayonet option. It would put serious claws on this queer hybrid beast! ;)

Ray