The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Telephoto landscapes - which lens ?

satybhat

So after a lot of frustration with the SK 120 TS, I have finally decided to do away with it. In my opinion, there is but one application for this lens: studio product shots / fine art shots with flash. (If anyone has found any other applications with consistent success, please display your shots )..

On another note, I have a project in hand, telephoto landscapes - the client wants some 12 images, high quality of distant landscapes, half winter and rest - autumn, summer etc. and I am a bit torn between the 75-150LS and 240LS to use on the DF+ (and IQ280).

Any personal experience or preferences would be appreciated from anyone who have / have chosen one over the other for whatever reasons, not just for landscapes.

My personal pet project is that of abstract forms in nature and hence I am leaning towards the former, although I find the HR90 more appealing for this (now if only they offered a 50% discount :ROTFL: that would make my day). The other thing is that I am worried about the vibrations and shutter slap on the 240LS requiring a higher shutter speed always, which was also a bother with the 120TS. So, glad to hear your opinions.

Saty

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm a great fan of the 240 LS and have no shutter vibration problems even at 1/30-1/10 sec. In fact today I went shooting with only the 240, forcing myself to look for "long" landscapes. I'll put them up on the "Fun" thread tomorrow.

sc_john

I'm a great fan of the 240 LS and have no shutter vibration problems even at 1/30-1/10 sec. In fact today I went shooting with only the 240, forcing myself to look for "long" landscapes. I'll put them up on the "Fun" thread tomorrow.
Bill,

Are you mounting the 240 LS with a tripod foot or a 2-point bracket (not sure this is right nomenclature) for body and lens?

John

Don Libby

I'm not Bill however I too have and highly recommend the 240LS. So far I've shot handheld, on tripod and window mount and haven't yet felt a need for any additional support; that also includes when I used the 2x converter.

sc_john

Don,

Same question… when on tripod, is lens mounted with lens foot (one point) or camera body and lens (2 point… such as this: Long Lens Support Packages)? I am just trying to get an idea how readily this lens mounts on tripod for slower shutter speeds. Thanks.

John

Don Libby

Sorry, thought I had made that clear. So far I haven't felt the need for an additional support as such I've mounted it from the camera, this includes the times I've added the 2x converter. That said, I also use a shutter release and mirror up when not shooting wildlife. I might sometime in the future look into the brace however so far I seem to not need it....

Don

sc_john

Don,

Thanks for follow-up. I understand now how you are mounting the camera/lens combo. My only experience with "long" lens on 645DF+ is a Phase One 150D with 2X converter, and I have had some difficulty achieving sharp images… probably a 50% hit rate. The problem may well be operator error in manual focusing with the 2X, but I also need to rule out the tripod mounting (images usually shot with mirror-up and 3-4 sec delay for firing shutter.

John

stngoldberg

Here is an image I shot with a 200mm lens and a 1.7 tele converter with a Hasselblad H5D50 handheld. Although this is the Atlantic ocean, I consider this image a landscape

Stanley

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I do the same as Don - mount the lens on the camera which is attached to the Cube with RRS L bracket. Works fine though I do examine the image carefully on the LCD when using slower speeds and occasionally have to repeat the shot.

tsjanik

Don,

Same question… when on tripod, is lens mounted with lens foot (one point) or camera body and lens (2 point… such as this: Long Lens Support Packages)? I am just trying to get an idea how readily this lens mounts on tripod for slower shutter speeds. Thanks.

John
John:

I've used the system pictured below with a 600mm + 1.4x; even this can be improved with a Manfrotto long lens support, which attaches to the portrait plate on the side of the 645D (or an L bracket) and the tripod leg, but it does limit mobility. There are any number of components you can use to construct a similar device, but 3-way (or 4-way with the Manfrotto) support has been very effective for me.

Tom.

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Agreed about the tripod collar. I've also had no problems shooting with either the 75-150D or 240LS mounted via the body on a Cube. I can't say the same about the 300 APO on DF - that lens rings like a bell.

Steve C

I am also a big fan of the 240LS and the 75-150LS lenses. When used properly, they are extremely sharp and contrasty. I have found evidence of of first curtain focal shutter vibration on my lenses even when mounting the DF+ directly to a Gitzo series 5 tripod (no head, rock solid) for shutter speeds in the 1/15th to 1/60th range. Either side of this range gives excellent results. For some reason, using the leaf shutter for exposure in conjunction with the focal plane shutter gives slightly better results. Phase One please give us a camera where we can disable the focal plane shutter! Also, nailing infinity sharpness on my 240 can be a challenge as auto-focus doesn't always get it right and it is not easy to discern when it is slightly off on the IQ180 LCD. Manual focus is equally challenging as the lens focuses well past infinity. A slight error makes a big difference in a large print. I now use a Sony Windows tablet tethered to see that it is perfect. Overall, excellent lens choices that take some time to get to know how to use to their best advantage.

PS: Using the same back on a Cambo with the SK120 ASPH or SK150 gives me slightly better results than the LS lenses on the DF+

sc_john

John:

I've used the system pictured below with a 600mm + 1.4x; even this can be improved with a Manfrotto long lens support, which attaches to the portrait plate on the side of the 645D (or an L bracket) and the tripod leg, but it does limit mobility. There are any number of components you can use to construct a similar device, but 3-way (or 4-way with the Manfrotto) support has been very effective for me.
Tom,

That is an impressive set-up, although I am not sure how far from the car I could hike with it. :LOL:

Thanks for sharing.

John

satybhat

John:

Tom.

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
That... is one hell of a setup !!

steve_cor

I didn't quite follow what Saty was saying about frustration with the SK 120 TS lens.:confused:

The pictures that Bill posted are missing now.