The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Telephoto landscapes - which lens ?

Don Libby

Here's a follow up from my end of things....

I use 2-seperate methods of capturing; Cube mounted to a tripod and a RRS ballhead mounted to a Kirk window mount which also doubles as a ground pod or in my case I can set it on the lid of my truck bed and shoot from there. Both the Cube and ballhead are on quick release thus I'm able to switch back and forth depending on the subject.

I used the window mount last Dec to shoot otters with the 240/2x and had excellent results. I also shot buffalo and elk using the Cube/tripod and was equally satisfied. All this made me think I really didn't need the lens rail...

Fast forward to now. I shot a small herd of elk the other day off tripod with the Cube and was satisfied; the next day I switch over to the ground pod using the ballhead and wasn't. In each case I got focus confirmation and in the case of the buffalo I used a shutter release. I've since found that the ballhead wasn't as tight as it should have been thus the near crappy results. I've also decided that since I'm a belt and suspenders guy I broke down and ordered the RRS lens support (I'll have it tomorrow).

I've never experienced any shutter slap with the DF when using long lenses. The key as far as I'm concerned is to have as rock solid/steady shooting platform as possible. I believe that I fixed my problem with the ballhead and I'm equally convinced the RRS rail system can only add to it.