Site Sponsors

Thread: Telephoto landscapes - which lens ?

Post Thanks / Like

Telephoto landscapes - which lens ?

So after a lot of frustration with the SK 120 TS, I have finally decided to do away with it. In my opinion, there is but one application for this lens: studio product shots / fine art shots with flash. (If anyone has found any other applications with consistent success, please display your shots )..

On another note, I have a project in hand, telephoto landscapes - the client wants some 12 images, high quality of distant landscapes, half winter and rest - autumn, summer etc. and I am a bit torn between the 75-150LS and 240LS to use on the DF+ (and IQ280).

Any personal experience or preferences would be appreciated from anyone who have / have chosen one over the other for whatever reasons, not just for landscapes.

My personal pet project is that of abstract forms in nature and hence I am leaning towards the former, although I find the HR90 more appealing for this (now if only they offered a 50% discount that would make my day). The other thing is that I am worried about the vibrations and shutter slap on the 240LS requiring a higher shutter speed always, which was also a bother with the 120TS. So, glad to hear your opinions.

Saty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Telephoto landscapes - which lens ?

I'm a great fan of the 240 LS and have no shutter vibration problems even at 1/30-1/10 sec. In fact today I went shooting with only the 240, forcing myself to look for "long" landscapes. I'll put them up on the "Fun" thread tomorrow.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I'm a great fan of the 240 LS and have no shutter vibration problems even at 1/30-1/10 sec. In fact today I went shooting with only the 240, forcing myself to look for "long" landscapes. I'll put them up on the "Fun" thread tomorrow.
    Bill,

Are you mounting the 240 LS with a tripod foot or a 2-point bracket (not sure this is right nomenclature) for body and lens?

John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not Bill however I too have and highly recommend the 240LS. So far I've shot handheld, on tripod and window mount and haven't yet felt a need for any additional support; that also includes when I used the 2x converter.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

Same question… when on tripod, is lens mounted with lens foot (one point) or camera body and lens (2 point… such as this: Long Lens Support Packages)? I am just trying to get an idea how readily this lens mounts on tripod for slower shutter speeds. Thanks.

John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, thought I had made that clear. So far I haven't felt the need for an additional support as such I've mounted it from the camera, this includes the times I've added the 2x converter. That said, I also use a shutter release and mirror up when not shooting wildlife. I might sometime in the future look into the brace however so far I seem to not need it....

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

Thanks for follow-up. I understand now how you are mounting the camera/lens combo. My only experience with "long" lens on 645DF+ is a Phase One 150D with 2X converter, and I have had some difficulty achieving sharp images… probably a 50% hit rate. The problem may well be operator error in manual focusing with the 2X, but I also need to rule out the tripod mounting (images usually shot with mirror-up and 3-4 sec delay for firing shutter.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is an image I shot with a 200mm lens and a 1.7 tele converter with a Hasselblad H5D50 handheld. Although this is the Atlantic ocean, I consider this image a landscape

Stanley
    Last edited by stngoldberg; 1st June 2014 at 08:22.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do the same as Don - mount the lens on the camera which is attached to the Cube with RRS L bracket. Works fine though I do examine the image carefully on the LCD when using slower speeds and occasionally have to repeat the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    Don,

Same question… when on tripod, is lens mounted with lens foot (one point) or camera body and lens (2 point… such as this: Long Lens Support Packages)? I am just trying to get an idea how readily this lens mounts on tripod for slower shutter speeds. Thanks.

John
    John:

I've used the system pictured below with a 600mm + 1.4x; even this can be improved with a Manfrotto long lens support, which attaches to the portrait plate on the side of the 645D (or an L bracket) and the tripod leg, but it does limit mobility. There are any number of components you can use to construct a similar device, but 3-way (or 4-way with the Manfrotto) support has been very effective for me.

Tom.

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The one downside to the 240 is a lack of a tripod collar.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed about the tripod collar. I've also had no problems shooting with either the 75-150D or 240LS mounted via the body on a Cube. I can't say the same about the 300 APO on DF - that lens rings like a bell.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

I am also a big fan of the 240LS and the 75-150LS lenses. When used properly, they are extremely sharp and contrasty. I have found evidence of of first curtain focal shutter vibration on my lenses even when mounting the DF+ directly to a Gitzo series 5 tripod (no head, rock solid) for shutter speeds in the 1/15th to 1/60th range. Either side of this range gives excellent results. For some reason, using the leaf shutter for exposure in conjunction with the focal plane shutter gives slightly better results. Phase One please give us a camera where we can disable the focal plane shutter! Also, nailing infinity sharpness on my 240 can be a challenge as auto-focus doesn't always get it right and it is not easy to discern when it is slightly off on the IQ180 LCD. Manual focus is equally challenging as the lens focuses well past infinity. A slight error makes a big difference in a large print. I now use a Sony Windows tablet tethered to see that it is perfect. Overall, excellent lens choices that take some time to get to know how to use to their best advantage.

PS: Using the same back on a Cambo with the SK120 ASPH or SK150 gives me slightly better results than the LS lenses on the DF+

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a 240 LS shot at long distance. At 100% on screen I can see the gulls that breed on the island!

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another 240 LS shot. Mid-day unfortunately!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Telephoto landscapes - which lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    John:

I've used the system pictured below with a 600mm + 1.4x; even this can be improved with a Manfrotto long lens support, which attaches to the portrait plate on the side of the 645D (or an L bracket) and the tripod leg, but it does limit mobility. There are any number of components you can use to construct a similar device, but 3-way (or 4-way with the Manfrotto) support has been very effective for me.
    Tom,

That is an impressive set-up, although I am not sure how far from the car I could hike with it.

Thanks for sharing.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Another 240 LS shot. Mid-day unfortunately!
    Looks decently sharp Bill.
    For a moment I thought the second photo was a 100% crop of the first one

unable to make up my mind here. Will likely go for the 75-150 and think about the 240LS at a later date.

Decisions !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    John:

Tom.

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    That... is one hell of a setup !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't quite follow what Saty was saying about frustration with the SK 120 TS lens.

The pictures that Bill posted are missing now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a follow up from my end of things....

I use 2-seperate methods of capturing; Cube mounted to a tripod and a RRS ballhead mounted to a Kirk window mount which also doubles as a ground pod or in my case I can set it on the lid of my truck bed and shoot from there. Both the Cube and ballhead are on quick release thus I'm able to switch back and forth depending on the subject.

I used the window mount last Dec to shoot otters with the 240/2x and had excellent results. I also shot buffalo and elk using the Cube/tripod and was equally satisfied. All this made me think I really didn't need the lens rail...

Fast forward to now. I shot a small herd of elk the other day off tripod with the Cube and was satisfied; the next day I switch over to the ground pod using the ballhead and wasn't. In each case I got focus confirmation and in the case of the buffalo I used a shutter release. I've since found that the ballhead wasn't as tight as it should have been thus the near crappy results. I've also decided that since I'm a belt and suspenders guy I broke down and ordered the RRS lens support (I'll have it tomorrow).

I've never experienced any shutter slap with the DF when using long lenses. The key as far as I'm concerned is to have as rock solid/steady shooting platform as possible. I believe that I fixed my problem with the ballhead and I'm equally convinced the RRS rail system can only add to it.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ