The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-60, The Future of Hasselblad, and Always Waiting For the Next Big Thing

peterv

Gerald, any chance you could make (some of) that footage available through a download-link somewhere?
What software did you use to put the images together?
Thanks!

Nick-T

I suggest you read it again - My initial post does not mention the H system
Here's what your original post said:

I think Fuji will end up owning Hasselblad. They already make the lens, designed the bodies

You didn't mention H but what other bodies could you possibly be referring to?

Please stop posting factually incorrect information.

gazwas

Regardless of any perceived 'bias", anyone who posts information on this forum should be prepared to back up that information. That goes for Hasselblad users, Phase One users, and that goes for you too, Mr G.
I think you are way off track here - please point out all comments I made that you feel necessary I "back up" because I don't see any. This is all common knowledge?

1. Hasselblad and P1 produce equal quality files
2. HB's (100%) and P1's (60%) owners are Venture Capital firms.
3. HB and P1 are open systems. Backs from both companies can be used on different cameras and other firms backs can be used with their cameras/lenses.
4. HB's H camera, lenses and back's currently offer tighter integration, better focusing accuracy and more sophisticated camera/lens/back profiling.
5. P1's in development camera that was announced in 2010/2011 is still not available to purchase in 2014.
6. HB announced a 50Mpix CMOS chipped digital back first.
7. Its better to try both cameras rather than go off what you hear on a forum.

The one thing I find most strange is you haven't picked up on is the IQ comment and have allowed this to pass as if it was never mentioned but chose to pick apart everything else I said....... :confused:

We're all grown ups here and can make up own minds as to the differences/strengths between both systems. I'm tired and setting off very early tomorrow to Ireland for a few days on a shoot so I think I will bid this topic farewell.

alajuela

Here's what your original post said:

I think Fuji will end up owning Hasselblad. They already make the lens, designed the bodies

You didn't mention H but what other bodies could you possibly be referring to?

Please stop posting factually incorrect information.
Thank you for the clarification of what I wrote and did not write.

Please stop making baseless assumptions / accusations. Or at least projecting them on other people. - Especially in such a curt manner - if you are not sure --- ask

Your mistake - I guess you were unaware Hassleblad sold other bodies. But of course you miss the entire point - - collaboration between the two companies on core product - unless of course you are also overlooking the word Lens

Have a conversation - not a lecture.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I think you are way off track here - please point out all comments I made that you feel necessary I "back up" because I don't see any. This is all common knowledge?

1. Hasselblad and P1 produce equal quality files
2. HB's (100%) and P1's (60%) owners are Venture Capital firms.
3. HB and P1 are open systems. Backs from both companies can be used on different cameras and other firms backs can be used with their cameras/lenses.
4. HB's H camera, lenses and back's currently offer tighter integration, better focusing accuracy and more sophisticated camera/lens/back profiling.
5. P1's in development camera that was announced in 2010/2011 is still not available to purchase in 2014.
6. HB announced a 50Mpix CMOS chipped digital back first.
7. Its better to try both cameras rather than go off what you hear on a forum.

The one thing I find most strange is you haven't picked up on is the IQ comment and have allowed this to pass as if it was never mentioned but chose to pick apart everything else I said....... :confused:

We're all grown ups here and can make up own minds as to the differences/strengths between both systems. I'm tired and setting off very early tomorrow to Ireland for a few days on a shoot so I think I will bid this topic farewell.

I think you're confusing me with Shlomi. I am not Shlomi. The only opinions or information shared by you that I disagreed with were your assertion that Phase One "promised" a new camera by some certain date - never backed up with any factual information by you - and you questioned the Silverfleet investment to Phase One, and I questioned your premise regarding that investment. That's it - the rest is between you and Shlomi or whoever else you feel is being biased.

I'm not here to contrast strengths/weaknesses/differences between Hasselblad and Phase One. There's no need for you to list all these items, certainly not to me, as I am not contesting them. Talk to Shlomi. And maybe PM'ing would be a better route so the thread can get back on course.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

fotografz

Thank you for the clarification of what I wrote and did not write.

Please stop making baseless assumptions / accusations. Or at least projecting them on other people. - Especially in such a curt manner - if you are not sure --- ask

Your mistake - I guess you were unaware Hassleblad sold other bodies. But of course you miss the entire point - - collaboration between the two companies on core product - unless of course you are also overlooking the word Lens

Have a conversation - not a lecture.

Thanks

Phil
Sorry, I'm confused.

In the spirit of conversation, a few reasonable questions if I may:

Were you correct, or were you incorrect in stating that the Hasselblad H camera is made by Fuji in Japan?

Were you correct, or were you incorrect when stating that the lenses were designed by Fuji?

As far as I know, the lenses are designed by Hasselblad, and manufactured by Fuji, and are marked made in Japan (Fuji does have a long history of making MF lenses). The prism is also manufactured by Fuji).

The camera bodies, shutters for the lenses, and the digital magazines are all made by Hasselblad in Europe and are marked Made in Sweden. However, what isn't clear is where each of the components that make up the electronic guts of the bodies and magazines come from. The sensors are either TrueSense(Kodak), Dalsa, and now Sony. The absorbed Imacon component does the electronics (they also did the electronics for the terrific Leica DMR). The world is supplier to everyone now days, but I believe that a certain percentage has to be from the country of origin.

The partnership agreement between Fuji and Hasselblad is that the H system can be only sold in Japan under the Fuji brand name. What I do not know, is whether Hasselblad supplies them with the body components, and they assemble them in Japan for the Fuji branded versions. Interesting question I think.

In the end, who cares? The system is terrific and I say this as a former user, not a current one protecting a purchase decision, bias, or financial investment. The H system served me well through fat and thin times, they helped me along the way by being easy to use, producing stunning IQ, and doing almost anything I could creatively dream up.

On other topics:

I doubt Sony would buy Hasselblad, they now make MF sensors for Hasselblad, Phase One and Pentax, and most likely their own MFD camera with-in a year or so. Kodak got out of the MFD Back business because it was more lucrative to make sensors for MFD backs than the backs themselves.

alajuela

Sorry, I'm confused.

In the spirit of conversation, a few reasonable questions if I may:

Were you correct, or were you incorrect in stating that the Hasselblad H camera is made by Fuji in Japan?

The only person who brought up a specific body was Nick - so he must be incorrect – My opening post says nothing about a specific body. The Wiki quotes can stand on their own. Framing the question in this manner is disingenuous and not cute.

Were you correct, or were you incorrect when stating that the lenses were designed by Fuji?

Nick seems to been confused on the collaboration and designed aspect Framing the question in this manner is also disingenuous and not cute. Sorta like “do you still beat your wife?”, especially when the post can read.

As far as I know, the lenses are designed by Hasselblad, and manufactured by Fuji, and are marked made in Japan (Fuji does have a long history of making MF lenses). The prism is also manufactured by Fuji).

As noted in my post

The camera bodies, shutters for the lenses, and the digital magazines are all made by Hasselblad in Europe and are marked Made in Sweden. However, what isn't clear is where each of the components that make up the electronic guts of the bodies and magazines come from. The sensors are either TrueSense(Kodak), Dalsa, and now Sony. The absorbed Imacon component does the electronics (they also did the electronics for the terrific Leica DMR). The world is supplier to everyone now days, but I believe that a certain percentage has to be from the country of origin.

The partnership agreement between Fuji and Hasselblad is that the H system can be only sold in Japan under the Fuji brand name. What I do not know, is whether Hasselblad supplies them with the body components, and they assemble them in Japan for the Fuji branded versions. Interesting question I think.

All of the above is laid out in the post which were cut and pasted from Wiki.

In the end, who cares? The system is terrific and I say this as a former user, not a current one protecting a purchase decision, bias, or financial investment. The H system served me well through fat and thin times, they helped me along the way by being easy to use, producing stunning IQ, and doing almost anything I could creatively dream up.

Unlike some other people here I am interested in the technical / manufacturing of products which I hold in high esteem. – So I do find it interesting. Nobody else has to, if they feel pointing out collaboration in manufacturing belittles a product they hold dear, well nothing anybody can say. This is in addition to the Hassleblad process and results – Process can be Zen – like – Results can be amazing!!!

On other topics:

I doubt Sony would buy Hasselblad, they now make MF sensors for Hasselblad, Phase One and Pentax, and most likely their own MFD camera with-in a year or so. Kodak got out of the MFD Back business because it was more lucrative to make sensors for MFD backs than the backs themselves.
I agree that Sony is an unlikely candidate – should Hasselblad be sold. I also feel should Hassleblad be sold, Fuji would understand the Hasselblad user and can protect the name and history of a fantastic company.

BANKER1

Personally, I don't see a reason why Sony would buy Hasselblad, or for that matter why Fuji would either. Too bad we don't have a photo enthusiast with a boat load of money to buy Hasselblad.

At Photokina, I believe Hasselblad will introduce a mirror less camera using the Sony 50 CMOS chip. But, I thought Hasselblad would do that at the last Photokina (didn't know what chip at the time), and boy, was I wrong about that. So, in my opinion, "the next big thing" will be that camera. And, like Kodak, Sony may not be interested in making the camera/back.

Greg

alajuela

Personally, I don't see a reason why Sony would buy Hasselblad, or for that matter why Fuji would either. Too bad we don't have a photo enthusiast with a boat load of money to buy Hasselblad.

At Photokina, I believe Hasselblad will introduce a mirror less camera using the Sony 50 CMOS chip. But, I thought Hasselblad would do that at the last Photokina (didn't know what chip at the time), and boy, was I wrong about that. So, in my opinion, "the next big thing" will be that camera. And, like Kodak, Sony may not be interested in making the camera/back.

Greg
I agree with you whole heartily on the mirrorless. How about with a captive sensor 50 X 43 (for price and weight) and short mount to capture plane and since this is a dream camera a EVF / live view.
Whoever does it, Hasselblad, Fuji. Phase (think Mamiya 6 or 7) or maybe Pentex (good price) will have a game changer.

Think about the run on legacy lenses. :chug:

What a great lightweight "street / travel camera"

Thanks

Phil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Fujifilm GX645AF was discontinued in February 2010 after 7 years in production. It was based on the H1 and never upgraded past that level.

gerald.d

Gerald, any chance you could make (some of) that footage available through a download-link somewhere?
What software did you use to put the images together?
Thanks!
Unfortunately I can't share anything, sorry.

Capture One used to process the stills, which are then loaded into After Effects and deflickered using GBDeflicker (I have to manually adjust the shutter speed on the FPS for day-night and night-day sequences, and since that can only be done in 1/4 stops, you do get some flicker). The timelapse is then rendered in After Effects (or Adobe Media Encoder) in Apple Pro Res 4444.

The biggest problem is that I have no way of viewing the 8K output, so I just archive that away and render a 4K version :) I do a few test crops into the full frame at 4K 100% resolution - these are absolutely mind-blowing. It is genuinely challenging to try to imagine what the 8K footage would look like if I could view the whole file!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

peterv

Thanks for explaining your time-lapse workflow. I can imagine you'd really like to see what UHDTV-2 (SMPTE wants us to forget 8K and use that term :eek:) looks like. I guess it'll take a while before the hardware is available. Heck, not many people have seen UHDTV-1 (4K) yet. :)

Drennon

This seems like a very interesting time to be a newbie entering the world of digital medium format.

I know many people on these forums have strong opinions about their system(s) of choice, and I see it as a testament to the fact that there are plenty of great options out there for people to pick up and run with, which is sort of the problem: There are just enough choices now to be paralyzing. Beyond the fantastic cameras/backs produced by Phase One and Hasselblad to date, it's very hard to ignore the value of the 645Z (I am truly curious, why is that camera priced so much lower than the IQ250, despite containing the same sensor? There must be a reason, I just couldn't begin to speculate).

Add to all this the newish rumors about a Fuji mirrorless medium format camera, and the approach of Photokina (when who knows what new digital MF camera could get thrown into the mix?), and it makes it that much harder to pull the trigger on a big new system. Maybe now is no different than any other time, but hey that's just the way it seems.

I think the only thing that can pull Hasselblad out of the mug after the whole Lunar/Stellar debacle is a new back for the V-System that is aimed at the amateur market. Instead of being about ultimate resolution or high iso, this should feature a more down-to-earth sensor, 48x48 but with lower resolution and fat pixel. I know something like this would be bought like mad, as long as the price is sensible. I can only hope that after Ventizz drops Hasselblad, someone in the class of Andreas Kaufmann will get hold of the company.

jerome_m

In 2002 Hasselblad introduced the H series of cameras. These were purportedly designed in large measure by Hasselblad's engineers, but are built in Japan by Fuji.
The Fuji GX 645 AF comes on Ebay regularly. From time to time, you get pictures of the underside of the camera and it spots the writing: "made in Sweden". I think that settles who makes what camera.

The film back are made by Fuji in Japan and bear the writing "made in Japan". Same for the lenses.

The lenses for the H series are all designed and made by Fuji, but specified by Hasselblad. It's interesting to note as well that in Japan the H series cameras are sold as Fuji brand cameras, with no mention whatsoever of the name Hasselblad.
The Fuji GX 645 AF bears the name "Hasselblad" on its left side and underside. Here are a few pictures from a Chinese forum for your convenience:

http://www.fengniao.com/secforum/slide.php?id=1657126_6526695

RVB

The Fuji GX 645 AF comes on Ebay regularly. From time to time, you get pictures of the underside of the camera and it spots the writing: "made in Sweden". I think that settles who makes what camera.

The film back are made by Fuji in Japan and bear the writing "made in Japan". Same for the lenses.

The Fuji GX 645 AF bears the name "Hasselblad" on its left side and underside. Here are a few pictures from a Chinese forum for your convenience:

【图片1】X-1-蜂鸟二手摄影器材论坛照片
Lenses are designed in Sweden by Per Nordlund.

Rob

jerome_m

Lenses are designed in Sweden by Per Nordlund.
You mean the Per Nordlund who used to post this on rec.photo.equipment.medium-format?

"Q.G. de Bakker,
the H1 lens designs are mainly done by Fujinon. We did some pre-studies
and suggested some design types (that's part of "H1 Optical Design")
but, again, most of the work is by Fujinon.
Sorry, I won't provide the answer to the 60-120 zoom mystery! As for the
teleconverters, I've designed two of them, but the final touch-up is
(and always has to be) done by the manufacturer."

Interested readers may also want to read that interview.

RVB

You mean the Per Nordlund who used to post this on rec.photo.equipment.medium-format?

"Q.G. de Bakker,

Thanks for the link Jerome,its interesting.. I will fiendish it tomorrow but this comment stands out ,"In the case of the 28mm lens, for
example, I’d say we did 80 per cent of
the optical development work here
in Gothenburg. Fuji was largely in
charge of the fine-tuning. In other
cases we are less involved."

Rob

alajuela

"Q.G. de Bakker,

Thanks for the link Jerome,its interesting.. I will fiendish it tomorrow but this comment stands out ,"In the case of the 28mm lens, for
example, I’d say we did 80 per cent of
the optical development work here
in Gothenburg. Fuji was largely in
charge of the fine-tuning. In other
cases we are less involved."

Rob
Fair to say there was a close collaboration on design and manufacture.

Thanks

Phil

jerome_m

Thanks for the link Jerome,its interesting.. I will fiendish it tomorrow but this comment stands out ,"In the case of the 28mm lens, for example, I’d say we did 80 per cent of the optical development work here in Gothenburg. Fuji was largely in charge of the fine-tuning. In other cases we are less involved."
You are citing an article by Hasselblad published at the time the HCD 28 was presented. It is fair to say that the article tries to present Hasselblad capacities in a positive light. Furthermore, you are taking that "80%" figure out of context. The article says that the HCD 28 is based on the HC 35 which, being one of the first HC lenses, is a Fuji design. A more accurate sentence would thus be:

"In the case of the 28mm lens I’d say we did 80 per cent of the work necessary to adapt a previous Fuji design to a shorter focal length here in Gothenburg."

Considering how lenses are designed and made, the relationship between Hasselblad and Fuji is actually quite clear: Per Nordlund runs his workstation to find out what is possible and at what price. Hasselblad decides on what compromises they are willing to make and on this base Fuji finalises the designs and builds the lenses. I don't see any problem with that, the lenses are superb.