Site Sponsors

Thread: interchanging focusing screens Pentax 645D

Post Thanks / Like

interchanging focusing screens Pentax 645D

Hi all:
    Today I received a used Pentax 645N split screen AB-82 focusing screen which I will install in my 645D. 6 out of 8 of my lenses are manual focus, so this screen should make life easier for these 77 year old eyes. It came with tweezers, but no instructions. I have changed screens in several cameras, all 35mm SLR/DSLR types, but never on the 645D. Does anyone have a set of instructions they could copy? In the 35mm versions there is usually a tab that must be unlocked to drop the frame down.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: interchanging focusing screens Pentax 645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave:

I changed a screen on my 645N many years ago; as I recall, there's a tab in the front of the screen, just below the lens mount, that can be moved to release the screen. The new screen will snap into place.

Having said this, I've read somewhere that the old screens are not compatible with the 645D. I seem to recall that even the 645NII screens are not compatible with earlier versions. This might be worth some searching before you mess with the screen.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Tom:
    What I have read is that the original 645 screens will not fit, but those intended for the 645N will fit. Thanks for the heads up.
    Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, I have been looking for my instructions--I change my screen in the 645D--but I cannot find them. Basically, there is a latch just inside the lens mount that you open. The frame swings down and you place the screen in there--the tab on the screen makes it possible to only put it in one way. The screen should come with a tweezer tool which opens the latch and allows you to hold a screen by its tab.

I will have another look when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I was able to install the screen...have not tried it yet, but it looks promising just looking through the finder! Should make it easier to focus my manual focus lenses.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: interchanging focusing screens Pentax 645D

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Hi all:
    Today I received a used Pentax 645N split screen AB-82 focusing screen which I will install in my 645D. 6 out of 8 of my lenses are manual focus, so this screen should make life easier for these 77 year old eyes. It came with tweezers, but no instructions. I have changed screens in several cameras, all 35mm SLR/DSLR types, but never on the 645D. Does anyone have a set of instructions they could copy? In the 35mm versions there is usually a tab that must be unlocked to drop the frame down.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ

Hi, Dave

How is the AB-82 going, will the replaced focusing screen affect the exposure metering result?

Cheers!

Philip