Site Sponsors

Thread: SK 80 alternative?

Post Thanks / Like

SK 80 alternative?

Hi all
    This may (probably definitely) has been talked about before but we have noticed that our SK 80 LS lens is noticeably less sharp and exhibits signifigant pincushioning.
    Compared to our SK 120 Macro, not even a contest. The 120 is tack sharp and arguably one of our finest lenses ever.
    So am wondering, is there a difference between the SK 80 that ships with the Credo kit and "off the shelf" bought seperately?
    Or is there an alternative 80mm that works with the DF+ that would be sharper and less distorted?
    Or is this a sampling thing and maybe I should send in for fix?

Curious to what others have experienced. Thanks!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: SK 80 alternative?

You shouldn't need an alternative to the Schneider Kreuznach 80mm leaf shutter lens. It's tack sharp. Sound like you have a bad sample.

--Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks, Steve!
    I am hoping I can get a new sample shipped over then. I hope the pincushioning is related as well.

e

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found this recent review from March 10, 2014 of the Phase One Schneider Kreuznach LS 80mm f/2.8.

It says at f/8 is an outstanding 5,239 lines per picture height on our center-weighted sharpness test.
    And there's a bit of barrel distortion, about 2.8 percent.

Phase One Schneider Kreuznach LS 80mm f/2.8 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

I used it for this picture which came out very sharp.

Last edited by steve_cor; 17th June 2014 at 21:41. Reason: inserting picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, Steve, good info but
    Hahaha...that link is funny. It shows the SK 80 LS as having an MSRP of $2990. but then a sale price of $468.66!!
    I clicked on the "SEE IT" button and that is not the lens but a keyboard and mouse for $468.66 (its not even a Das Keyboard so not sure how that price was arrived at. seems kindve high for a keyboard and insane low for this particular lens)

In any case, we have downloaded a ISO test chart and will do some tests here to make sure we are seeing a lens problem, a back focus problem, and autofocus problem, or whatever. It may not be the lens, but what bothers me is that the SK 120 Macro is so intensely sharp and perfect, every time without fail, no distortion, in a word...perfect.
    With the 80 we need to guess and fiddle with it to get best results, and even then, compared to the 120, not as good by a long shot.
    Oh well, we shall see. I will post what I find when we get to doing the test soon.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the regular mamiya / phase one 80 mm f/2,8 D… as good as the sk but without the leaf shutter !