Site Sponsors

Thread: ALPA Rumors and News.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ALPA Rumors and News.

As the old ALPA Rumors thread from 2012 has awakened, I thought it might make sense and be clearer to start a new thread.

See http://www.getdpi.com/forum/588345-post122.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: ALPA Rumors and News.

I had a phonecall with ALPA today and will visit them within the next two weeks .
    My idea is to use my STC hand held from time to time and have the vertical shift option . But I want to try that out before I buy the grip with or without the cable release .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jurgen

Did you try the new grip with the TC/STC? It looks like a better arrangement with the STC if you regularly shoot rise/fall vs shift.

I just got the new Alpa sync cable II. I'm looking to see if it is more reliable at clean signaling the IQ back than previous versions.
    ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Sync Cord Mark II Phase One / Leaf
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Graham

I have two grips now and find them very useful for HH shooting .
    They make the TC to be a little SWA , but add quite some weight to the camera . The grip is mounted with one screw and it takes only a couple of seconds to do so .
    The grips also make the STC like an SWA . I have machined a little distancer , which can raise any VF by 10mm , so you can not only do a fall with the back by up to 18mm but also a raise for 10mm ( if you want to have less foreground ) .
    The new grip feels very good in my hands , is very "smooth" and gives a safe feeling . Also the release button is at the right place for my long fingers .
    But I must also say , regarding the design and beauty of an ALPA , the new grip can't compete with the rosewood grips . These are just beautiful but not as handy .

I can't say anything about the new sync cable , because I use the HB version of the first design and never had any trouble with that cable .
    The ALPA people recommend to contact them directly per E-Mail for any problem . So don't hesitate to contact them .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,
    I have the new sync cable. It is a wonderful improvement. Haven't had a single misfire since.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good to know Dave. I've been too busy since I received the new cable to try it yet. I'd transitioned back to shooting zero latency but I'm also using live view a lot too so I'm eating up batteries and sensor heat. Time to get back to shooting normal mode. If the new cable works as well as described I might even get a second one although I think that Alpa ought to offer a trade back.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I think that Alpa ought to offer a trade back...
    Or a retrofit - it seems to me that the part in the middle housing the electronics should be easily changeable.
    Last edited by greygrad; 19th August 2014 at 09:45.