Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 65 of 65

Thread: ALPA Rumors 2014

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    The smaller version of the 50MP Sony Sensor in the A7r, shows the same problem with wides on shifts past about 10mm. Crosstalk creating quite a bit of loss of saturation on greens and blues. Some seems to come back in C1 with the LCC processing.

    What you don't see any of is loss of detail. I was shifting the Rod 40mm HR-W to 20mm and it held up very well at F8. Same for the SK60.

    The SK35 works but can't get the same amount of shift maxing at about 10mm and 8mm is where the cross talk problems start.

    Paul

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    However, I don't think we'll ever see another CCD sensor again, so if CMOS is in your future, and you need a WA ... start saving now.
    So... keep a firm grip on your CCD back?!

    If a 100Mp CCD last hurrah arrives from Phase at Photokina, I might bite, but it would have to add some more features beside that to help make the leap. Quite frankly my IQ180 has been such a reliable workhorse, and the enabling of USB3 has been so very useful, it really gave it a new lease of life.

    Along with many others I could see no reason to go to IQ2 series once the Surface Pro tethered via USB appeared, and felt new opportunities for accuracy and precision arrived. Would I like a Base ISO of 100, with clean files up to 400iso, - yes I would. But I do make 4-way stitches on my Max, so if CMOS has problems with that, then its kind of useless to me.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Not a rumor, but a wish: I'd kinda like a version of the Max that could go to something like +/- 35mm on the 'rear' in order to leverage the large image circles of lenses like the S/K 43, 60 and 120. I know there's the XY (that can go +/-25mm on the 'rear' and 45/25 on the 'front'), but it's kinda bulky and heavy, and I never really liked the shock absorber (now, a shock absorber for my wallet would be really good where all things Alpa are concerned).

    Jim
    +1,

    Bring out a Max+ with more 'cross' movement on the back: +/- 25mm at least.

    The XY is too big, bulky and overweight for what it does. The Max would be even better with some extra movement, and an increase to 25 or 30mm would make a clearer delineation from the STC with the same +/- 18mm as current Max.

    If that could be engineered, then the XY could probably be retired as a product.

  4. #54
    Senior Member bab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    If those bottle labels were shot with a MS 200 you would really see how blurry they are. To my eye the the side lighting creating the depth in the image is more what I see, rather then sharpness.
    My wish for photokina a smaller titanium linhof m679cs, a rodi 180mm macro mounted with a Schneider electronic shutter and some digital back manufacture to add auto focus stacking to their software.

    We can dream can't we.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    It would be nice to see a Max with an extended range of movements, but I guess there comes a point when it would impact sales of the XY, so maybe they don't want to do it. Alpa have just updated the XY (Mk IV) so it's obviously going nowhere fast.

    As an alternative, perhaps extend the shift on the STC to +/-30mm and call it the STC-P (P=Panoramic)? That said, with longer lenses there's mechanical vignetting due to the rather narrow lens mount Alpa uses, so that just leaves WAs - and WA lenses with large ICs tend to be symmetrical designs - which don't work great with the latest CCD/CMOS sensors … so again, Alpa may feel it's not worth the effort.

    OT: 100MP CCD? I can't see it (anymore) in a prosumer grade DB. 100MP CMOS? Who knows. Looking at the MF sections on GetDPI and LuLa it's kinda sad that neither is as lively as they were just a couple of years ago, it seems like the whole segment needs invigorating. Turned out the announcement of CMOS just wasn't enough. All the excitement seems to be with compact system cameras, and with a camera like the A7r it's not hard to see why, especially when matched with the killer glass becoming available. The rumor is Canon has a 75MP (3 x 25MP) foveonesque-style sensor out there being tested - the IQ off that thing could even give 80MP bayer array sensors a run for their money.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    It would be nice to see a Max with an extended range of movements, but I guess there comes a point when it would impact sales of the XY, so maybe they don't want to do it. Alpa have just updated the XY (Mk IV) so it's obviously going nowhere fast.

    As an alternative, perhaps extend the shift on the STC to +/-30mm and call it the STC-P (P=Panoramic)? That said, with longer lenses there's mechanical vignetting due to the rather narrow lens mount Alpa uses, so that just leaves WAs - and WA lenses with large ICs tend to be symmetrical designs - which don't work great with the latest CCD/CMOS sensors … so again, Alpa may feel it's not worth the effort.

    OT: 100MP CCD? I can't see it (anymore) in a prosumer grade DB. 100MP CMOS? Who knows. Looking at the MF sections on GetDPI and LuLa it's kinda sad that neither is as lively as they were just a couple of years ago, it seems like the whole segment needs invigorating. Turned out the announcement of CMOS just wasn't enough. All the excitement seems to be with compact system cameras, and with a camera like the A7r it's not hard to see why, especially when matched with the killer glass becoming available. The rumor is Canon has a 75MP (3 x 25MP) foveonesque-style sensor out there being tested - the IQ off that thing could even give 80MP bayer array sensors a run for their money.
    I've looked at adding the XY, but as I already own 4 Alpa bodies, I doubt I'll do it, and its such an ungainly mechanism compared to the Max. I'd just as soon look at the Cambo that offers 25mm lateral shift on its Max competitor, and I feel Alpa should address that as it's maybe loosing them sales, when compared on paper.

    To me, 100mp is not 'Prosumer' - forgive me if we have different understandings of that term - but it refers, I thought, to the market between Professional and amateur Consumer. 100Mp backs, or for that matter 80mp and 60Mp, are Pro territory, not Prosumer. (though of course some wealthy hobbyists/'Prosumers' do buy).

    I have heard rumors of Canon this and Canon that sensors for over 8 years now, so will only believe it when it comes. Do I hope that Phase, or Canon, release a Foveon style back? Yes I do, it would be awesome, and if I'd been in charge of MF back development, I'd have been right onto Sigma 3 years ago to licence that for MF. I know Hassy were very aware of the Foveon advantages when I visited their factory a few years back.

    As for mirrorless, yes that is exciting, but its only a small step to MF mirrorless now. We have the camera bodies (Alpa FPS) we have the CMOS MF backs, we simply need Sony to engineer the chip for EVF readout, and presto. Sony $500 EVF on top of an FPS, plugged into Sony MF sensor-ed back, and wa-la: MF mirrorless. Live view focusing and all. Now that would be sooo great!

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    I would like to see Rodenstock announce a couple of companions to its amazing 90mm Yellow banded HR-Digaron. That lens is so awesome it makes every other MF lens seem just 'ok'.

    A 120 or 135mm version with 140/150mm image circle, for 6 way stitch, would be wonderful.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    I've got to imagine that the real focus of Alpa's attention these days is on the FPS series and accessories and interfaces for that platform. They see this as their universal camera and the way of the future. I could easily see them adding more lens mounts with automation support and more software products to drive the camera too.

    I guess we'll find out soon enough!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I've got to imagine that the real focus of Alpa's attention these days is on the FPS series and accessories and interfaces for that platform. They see this as their universal camera and the way of the future. I could easily see them adding more lens mounts with automation support and more software products to drive the camera too.

    I guess we'll find out soon enough!
    Out of interest, which lens mounts are you after Graham?

    The existing Canon mount opens up most lenses (albeit, manual control).

    I'd love better insight into which lenses cover which sensors. ALPA did a great article a while back on this, but there are so many more lenses of potential interest out there.

    I'm still waiting for confirmation on whether the Nikon 14-24 covers the IQ250 sensor at 14mm, but not got a response from Stefan yet on that. (That would be equivalent of the Canon 17mm TSE on IQ180, so very much of interest to me!)

    Kind regards,

    Gerald.

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    I would like to see Rodenstock announce a couple of companions to its amazing 90mm Yellow banded HR-Digaron. That lens is so awesome it makes every other MF lens seem just 'ok'.

    A 120 or 135mm version with 140/150mm image circle, for 6 way stitch, would be wonderful.
    Its good to hear such glowing feedback regarding the new Rody 90. I own the 100 Schneider which is my most used lens and is very sharp but probably not in the same league as the Rody. Time to do some comparisons.....

    Victor

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Its good to hear such glowing feedback regarding the new Rody 90. I own the 100 Schneider which is my most used lens and is very sharp but probably not in the same league as the Rody. Time to do some comparisons.....

    Victor
    Look forward to hearing what you think.

    If you can indulge me a little hyperbole: it is the Otus of MF lenses. (imho of course, though I believe Alpa feels similarly)

    I owned and compared the three 90mm lenses that Alpa had available- the old Roddy 90mm, the new one, and the Schneider Digitar 90mm. The old Roddy (blue band) was easily weakest, the Schneider surprisingly good (it is a design classic, been available in many variations over years enlarging, taking, macro, t/s, etc) and the new HR 90mm Roddy (Yellow band) clearly the best, with large i.c. So I wouldn't be surprised if your 100mm SK wasn't quite decent.

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    I tired both the Max and the XY, and got the XY instead. For me it's just nothing that does what the XY does. All jobs I do with the XY will always be on a sturdy tripod anyway so the weight doesn't bother me. And it's actually not that bad, since the kit always has about 3 lenses, 2 backs, a big tripod, etc, and I put them. All in all the extra weight of the XY doesn't mean much.

    I do interior shots, art reproduction, and on site landscape with the XY. I think it's quite obvious why the XY is indispensable for interior and art repro. The geared movement and the extra reach are the deciding factors, as the camera needs to stay absolutely still.

    When I use for landscape, it's usually a shot I've already taken a few times with smaller cameras and that I've decided a winner. I find the heavier body easier to navigate as its more steady. the extra reach again helps.

    The gear movements give precise measurements especially when I'm wearing gloves.

    I've noticed one extra benefit of the XY. When I take it to jobs, the clients are always VERY impressed. it just looks bad ***. A must for any Alpa collector I believe, especially when now they can be bought relatively cheaply used.
    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    I've looked at adding the XY, but as I already own 4 Alpa bodies, I doubt I'll do it, and its such an ungainly mechanism compared to the Max. I'd just as soon look at the Cambo that offers 25mm lateral shift on its Max competitor, and I feel Alpa should address that as it's maybe loosing them sales, when compared on paper.

    To me, 100mp is not 'Prosumer' - forgive me if we have different understandings of that term - but it refers, I thought, to the market between Professional and amateur Consumer. 100Mp backs, or for that matter 80mp and 60Mp, are Pro territory, not Prosumer. (though of course some wealthy hobbyists/'Prosumers' do buy).

    I have heard rumors of Canon this and Canon that sensors for over 8 years now, so will only believe it when it comes. Do I hope that Phase, or Canon, release a Foveon style back? Yes I do, it would be awesome, and if I'd been in charge of MF back development, I'd have been right onto Sigma 3 years ago to licence that for MF. I know Hassy were very aware of the Foveon advantages when I visited their factory a few years back.

    As for mirrorless, yes that is exciting, but its only a small step to MF mirrorless now. We have the camera bodies (Alpa FPS) we have the CMOS MF backs, we simply need Sony to engineer the chip for EVF readout, and presto. Sony $500 EVF on top of an FPS, plugged into Sony MF sensor-ed back, and wa-la: MF mirrorless. Live view focusing and all. Now that would be sooo great!

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Look forward to hearing what you think.

    If you can indulge me a little hyperbole: it is the Otus of MF lenses. (imho of course, though I believe Alpa feels similarly)

    I owned and compared the three 90mm lenses that Alpa had available- the old Roddy 90mm, the new one, and the Schneider Digitar 90mm. The old Roddy (blue band) was easily weakest, the Schneider surprisingly good (it is a design classic, been available in many variations over years enlarging, taking, macro, t/s, etc) and the new HR 90mm Roddy (Yellow band) clearly the best, with large i.c. So I wouldn't be surprised if your 100mm SK wasn't quite decent.
    Your comments are very interesting..... You, finding the Schneider 90 to be 'surprisingly good' is 'surprising'! My dealer talked me out of even trying it. He knew how much of stickler I was for sharpness. The 100mm has a reputation for sharpness and I wasn't disappointed. The real challenge is to find a perfectly aligned lens. I have already sent back two lenses to Schneider for alignment issues (including my beloved 60mm) which were properly aligned at no charge. The difference from before to after was/is like night and day. I've had the same issues with Rody's that I have auditioned. But I do feel that the new 90 could be something very special - and really appreciate your post. A little OT but even the Otus isn't without issues.... mine was replaced without question after I questioned alignment and submitted files to Zeiss. QC is expensive and subsequently too much reliability is given to the robots. At these price points there should never be issues with lens alignment.....


    Victor
    Last edited by vjbelle; 30th August 2014 at 13:26.

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    Just a quick note to say that I will be attending Photokina, and if there are any fellow ALPA shooters planning on going, it would be great to meet up!

    Not sure of my exact dates - probably 2-3 days in the latter part of the week.

    Kind regards,

    Gerald.

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ALPA Rumors 2014

    ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Photokina 2014

    Call me a fanboy, but I think the proverbial ball has just been knocked out of the proverbial park

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •