The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long lens for tech cam

Pemihan

I'm contemplating at some point adding a long lens to my Cambo setup.
Currently I have Rodie 40, SK60XL and 120 Aspheric. I would like something around the 200mm range.

I know I could use my DF+ with a longer lens, but I really don't want to travel with both the Cambo and the DF+ system. Way too much...

Schneider has the 180mm Apo-Digitar 5.6 which is an option but would ideally like something a little longer. The large image circle of 120mm is a big plus though.

Any other ideas?

gerald.d

I have the Schneider APO Digitar 210mm for my ALPAs - it's a build to order from them. Presumably you could also get this in a mount for your Cambo?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Pemihan

I think the APO Digitar 210mm has been discontinued, at least SK doesn't have it on their website. Maybe it's possible to find a second hand somewhere.

How do you like the lens Gerald?

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Did anyone compare long lenses for between the tech cam and DSLR (such as SK 150/Mamiya 150/SK 240/Hasselblad 150/210mm)?

Thanks,
Pramote

torger

Yes the 210mm has been discontinued due to low demand, but I think Linhof Studio has one left... so if you're faster than me to get it you can have it. Linhof Studio show which lenses that are discontinued in their list on the web, but it's often possible to get the discontinued ones still.

I have myself the 180mm which I'm pleased with. An advantage over the 210 is that it's smaller and lighter, and it can do f/5.6 with copal 0 (the 210 requires copal 1). I've been thinking to get the 210 too, but it's so close to the 180 so it's more likely that if I get one more it's one of the legacy analog tele lenses, say 240 or so, but those do have sharpness issues (a kind user provided me with test images with various 4x5" analog teles on a P65+ back), but still beats cropping.

In practical use I've noted that it's often hard to get sharp results with the 180, not due to the lens, but due to the narrow angle of view, so if you shoot landscape on a distance you often get issues with atmospheric distortion. There's also often problems with depth of field for such narrow angle of view compositions.

On the Linhof Techno the stability of the rail is also challenged, so one need to be extra careful when pressing the shutter to not introduce vibration, but I guess with the Cambo pancake that won't be an issue. You'll have to carry the weight and bulk of the tube though.

Concerning sharpness I have not really seen any comparisons so I don't know. I'd expect a lens this long to be quite sharp on any system, and as said I have no complaints on the 180 but then I have only a 33 megapixel back. A comparison would be interesting to see, but long lenses are rare so I haven't seen a single test. One cannot expect the same "tech cam advantage" as on a wide angle lens though, so the Hasselblad and Phase One lenses probably compete well with these.

Both the 180 and the 210 are tele designs (ie not normal lenses) which means that performance is probably not as good as your 120, one could look at data sheets to get a clue. The sheets are hard to get now those since the links on the web is broken, so I haven't seen them myself. If someone finds links to these data sheets please provide a link...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the SK 150 and it's probably as sharp as any of my other tech lenses and arguably better than my Mamiya glass, although not the 240 LS. The biggest issue if there is one is with getting accurate focus as DOF is so minimal unless stopped down or shooting at infinity or thereabouts. Obviously not a problem with iteration via LV/image review or tethered but definitely less forgiving in real use than shooting with a MF DSLR.

Very sharp optics. No vibration from shutter. I wish my 150 had a more granular focus helicoid but when you get to the 120/150+ lenses you basically don't have HPF rings any more (on Alpa).

gerald.d

I think the APO Digitar 210mm has been discontinued, at least SK doesn't have it on their website. Maybe it's possible to find a second hand somewhere.

How do you like the lens Gerald?
Apologies - I missed this question.

I haven't shot a huge amount with it to be honest. I bought it primarily for very large pano stitches, but hit the problem that torger highlighted regarding atmospheric distortion. I'm hoping to use it quite a lot this winter as I have a specific pano requirement that it's going to be ideal for - as long as it's not too warm!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit
The first two panoramas here were shot with it - http://05.ae/Panoramas/index.html

gerald.d

I use the SK 150 and it's probably as sharp as any of my other tech lenses and arguably better than my Mamiya glass, although not the 240 LS. The biggest issue if there is one is with getting accurate focus as DOF is so minimal unless stopped down or shooting at infinity or thereabouts. Obviously not a problem with iteration via LV/image review or tethered but definitely less forgiving in real use than shooting with a MF DSLR.

Very sharp optics. No vibration from shutter. I wish my 150 had a more granular focus helicoid but when you get to the 120/150+ lenses you basically don't have HPF rings any more (on Alpa).
Just to mention that the new iteration of the 120 has HPF markings on the barrel as standard - no HPF ring required.

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Schneider/ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/120 mm asph, SB34

Kind regards,

Gerald.