The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Surface Pro 3 arrived

jagsiva

Old thread, but incase helpful for some...

Tried the new fw and IQ180, C1P8.1, Windows 8.1 x64

New focus metering with 3 points works as advertised tethered via USB3

rga

Old thread, but incase helpful for some...

Tried the new fw and IQ180, C1P8.1, Windows 8.1 x64

New focus metering with 3 points works as advertised tethered via USB3
Great. I have played with it just briefly (busy time in life with little time for image making...).

Can you tell me if getting the bars, associated with each selected focal point, as far to the right as possible is the goal? Any pointers to tutorials for using this feature?
Much appreciated,
Bob

jagsiva

BTW, it could be me, but on Windows, there were an additional set of horizontal bars on the left side that assisted with how well you were doing on each of the 3 zones. Will have to hook up to the mac again in the morning to see if it was the same there.

If anyone needs a video recording to see this, let me know.

rga

BTW, it could be me, but on Windows, there were an additional set of horizontal bars on the left side that assisted with how well you were doing on each of the 3 zones. Will have to hook up to the mac again in the morning to see if it was the same there.

If anyone needs a video recording to see this, let me know.
I would appreciate seeing the video very much!

jagsiva

Great. I have played with it just briefly (busy time in life with little time for image making...).

Can you tell me if getting the bars, associated with each selected focal point, as far to the right as possible is the goal? Any pointers to tutorials for using this feature?
Much appreciated,
Bob
Bob, not sure I have enough under my belt, but here goes....

I would treat both the bars on the left side, as well as the dynamic squares on each selection boundary as a guide that is based on some form of contrast detection based algorithm. So got it fooled today by setting the near point on a chrome handle with a specular highlight.

My working assumption is that all limitations that applies to post-capture focus mask, apply here. I'm sure you know how focus mask can easily get fooled.

The bars definitely help. But, zooming-in in LV or post-capture to verify is still highly recommended.

rga

Bob, not sure I have enough under my belt, but here goes....

I would treat both the bars on the left side, as well as the dynamic squares on each selection boundary as a guide that is based on some form of contrast detection based algorithm. So got it fooled today by setting the near point on a chrome handle with a specular highlight.

My working assumption is that all limitations that applies to post-capture focus mask, apply here. I'm sure you know how focus mask can easily get fooled.

The bars definitely help. But, zooming-in in LV or post-capture to verify is still highly recommended.
Thanks: good guidance! Post capture has always worked best for me (LV is still a bit noisy to really see well). Even without 3 point option now in C1, the SurfacePro 3 is still the best ground glass I've ever used in the field, especially post capture!!

narikin

I must have missed the info on this added feature - can someone point me to the right page at Phase One ? Thanks. (a google search does not reveal anything useful)

All I can find is a line in the Firmware update PDF saying:

"A new Focus Meter with up to three concurrent Live View focusing areas is available in tethered mode with Capture One Pro 8" They then go on to explain all the other features of the update, except this one..!

jagsiva

When I searched, there was not anything extensive.

Doug has posted some tips above, thanks Doug.

I think the behaviour is different enough in the IQ1xx series that best to plug it in and play with it to get a feel for it.

Paul2660

That thing would be a beast, but there is place I am sure for it.

BTW, Thanks to Don, on the Urban Armor case, I just got mine, and love it. I had looked earlier for this, but at the time, they only had it for the Sur 2.

Paul

Paul2660

I forgot, the two things I have found less that satisfactory in the Sur3.

1. The way Microsoft buried the Microcard slot under the kickstand. Not well thought out at all, as most folks would have a case on, thus the case comes off each time you need to switch the card. The Sur2 had this on the actual side of the case, easy.

2. The power light does not turn off when the Sur3 is fully charged, on the Surface 2, when fully charged, the light on the charger goes out, nice feature. I mentioned this issue to Microsoft, hoping that it could be added with a firmware update later, but that was back in August, so I guess it's not going to happen.

Paul