Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surface Pro 3 arrived

Post Thanks / Like

Surface Pro 3 arrived

My SP3 arrived at the weekend, and has proven interesting to compare to the SP1/2 earlier models.

It is bigger, lighter, thinner, and has a higher resolution screen:

The weight difference is surprisingly noticeable. It is distinctly lighter, and thinner, and you appreciate that immediately when handling, compared to the SP1/2 form. This is a definite improvement. I also like the new color change: brushed Alu rather than Black.

The increased size (in width x height) is a personal preference if that is a plus or minus. I think I prefer the form of the original, but perhaps it just takes time to adapt from familiar to new. The bezel - the black area around screen that shows nothing - has shrunk a bit, so some of the extra screen size has come from that rather than dimensions. I wonder if we may see a 'Pro Mini' version with much smaller size - like iPad and iPad Mini.

The screen resolution of 2160x1440 (vs 1920x1080 on SP1/2) is useful for showing more of your image, but is not a meaningful change of button/touch size given the extra screen real estate it's spread over. Brightness is about the same, or close to.

Some buttons have moved around, and the USB3 port has swapped sides. I would have liked a lockable power button as its still too easy to turn it on by accident/in the case, but that didn't happen. Some of the accessories have changed size/ weight of course - the type cover (there is no touchcover option anymore) is bigger and heavier and backlit, but the charger unit is smaller and lighter, and has a much better connector.

It's early days yet, but I think I'll keep it.

Oh and, while its getting good reviews mostly, it is apparently impossible to repair or upgrade. Everything is glued in, so don't think you can access it to swap processors or put a new battery / extra memory in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surface Pro 3 arrived

Congratulations! You'll have to give us some input on how tethering goes with the SP3 over the SP2.

My only real concern (aside from spending more money to upgrade!) is being able to use the same tethering accessories as with the SP2, primarily the Arkon clamp on my tripod. I've been told that the outer dimensions should allow us to continue using the same Arkon clamp which is great. I'd also expect Manvex to release a new protective case as well.

Good news!

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree. It's a good upgrade, and for me worthwhile due to the better screen. The size is going to be the real issue for those that are tethering. For me it's not that much bigger as to cross any kind of line. I find it just as portable. Don't know if my Arkon clamp will fit. Need to try it. I'm still in the trial phase of tethering with the Cambo. It's nice but I don't always have the time for the extra setup.

Take away tethering to a clamped tablet and an 11" Macbook Air is just as portable, but can obviously never be a tablet. Also, the screen resolution is much lower on the Air. With Apple you need to go to the Macbook Pro to get the kind of screen resolution of the SP3, and that puts you at a minimum of 13" and 4.5lbs.

As you say, it does feel significantly lighter. (1.76 lbs) It's a quarter pound lighter but feels like more.

Having been through multiple iPads I have to say that MS has me convinced that they have truly made the hybrid device that many of us need, especially the weight conscious. (I mean the device weight)

Post Thanks / Like

The SP3 is not "that much" of an upgrade over the SP2. But for middle-aged eyes, a better screen can mean a lot. It's a more polished offering for sure.

The form function remains the same and it's nominally larger, meaning it still fits nicely into a backpack for going on location.

I can see myself going into enabling mode for the SP3...

ken

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest changes from the SP2 to the SP3 I would have thought was the aspect ratio of the screen.

Any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    One of the biggest changes from the SP2 to the SP3 I would have thought was the aspect ratio of the screen.

Any thoughts on this?
    It feels helpful to me, but again the compromise is a larger screen. The SP2 is a bit cramped in height, (more movie format) so this alleviates that feeling for text based use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, its a 12.5% increase in horizontal resolution, but a 33% increase in the vertical one. Quite a difference.

It's all very odd, as I value compact and efficient products a lot, and this looks like a step backwards, as it got bigger, but... you pick it up and notice its quite a bit lighter, and thinner, and the screen improves its usability. So I have to resolve these conflicting impressions. Tethering works just the same in either model. It's simply what size, weight & screen resolution you prefer.

If I had the SP2, I'd probably wait out this generation. If I was new to buying a tethered Surface Pro for field use, I'd get the SP3.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Arkon clamp will fit the unit without a case. It should also fit with the case but it will be a tight fit.

Manvex should be shipping the new cases in about 2 weeks or less per their email to me.

So far it seems to tether just as good as the old S pro2.

I prefer the screen on the 3 for sure. Need to test it in bright light outdoors.

Battery life to me is about the same as the 3. I don't see any 9 hours possible. There is only 1 power setting available, "balanced" the other two settings are not available due to the "instant go" technology in the 3.

You can read more here on instant go:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-8

Waiting on Mikegyver to make the new cables for their battery which may be about a month or so.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bought the 3 yesterday. Light, but also new cooling system that should prolong battery life, per store manager.

Ordered an iKlip Xpand to hold on the tripod in the field. Probably will need some modification so as not to damage the carbon fiber.
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklipxpand/

So far tethering works well. Haven't used in the field but I am very pleased to have a more workable tool than my Air.

Thanks to all leading this movement! And to Phase for getting the USB 3 working and not just shrugging it off.
    Best,
    Bob
    Last edited by rga; 24th June 2014 at 17:52. Reason: Added iKlip link.
    www.rgaphoto.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, please let us know how that iKlip Xpand clamp works for you. It looks similar in function to the Arkon clamp, except I think the arm makes the Arkon clamp more flexible in use. But I like the lower profile or rather easier looking packability of the iKlip clamp. I could do with less flexibility in exchange for a smaller packing profile.

Let's share those Surface Pro tethering options and accessories!

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will do. My only concern is that the clamp looks like it may scratch the tripod leg, but I'll report.
    Thanks again for all YOUR efforts on this terrific solution. Can't wait to hit the coast and give it a whirl.
    Btw, when I bought the 3, I had them set it up so the side switch fully powered down the tablet. Don't know if that has been mentioned as an option in this thread.
    Best,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Bob---with regard to protecting the tripod legs from any clamp---I use strips of black gaffers tape on all tripod legs. This protects the legs from the clamp scratching as well as "pre-marking" where I should place/position the clamp on the tripod leg. Care does need to be taken not to over tighten the clamp as this can potentially crush or permanently damage the carbon fiber tripod leg.

I also use very very thin self-adhesive rubber strips inside the clamp jaws for further protection and grip.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing about the IK clamp was it seems to only have the diameter of the screw rod to grab the tripod. May just be the angle of the pictures. The Arkon has a indent which helps to in effect wrap the grip around a circular support like a tripod leg.

I also used gaffers tape in the spots where the clamp will be attached for protection. I also glued some very thin minicell foam to the inside if the clamps.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, Paul. See photo 4 of 20: IK Multimedia | iKlip Xpand - Universal mic stand support for iPad and tablets

Maybe a rounded metal disk (or similar pipe clamp fixture) could be affixed to the end of the bolt to help provide grip and distribute the force/pressure when tightening the clamp to the tripod leg....

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Absolutely the single reason the surface has disappeared from my interest the moment I saw it in a shop : "letterbox" springs to mind.

Now suddenly the SP3 makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The screen is impressive. So far it seems a bit better to read outdoors, not as much mirror reflections, but I have to pull it out in bright sun.

The letter box description is a good one and it did make using the S Pro 2 for every day work a bit tough, the new screen is more in the line of the Macbook air, in fact the screens are very close in size, about 1" in width and 1/2 in height (based on mac book air from 2 years ago but I believe the new ones have the same size screens-non letter box style Mac book Air).

One other thing, the touch pad, is now much more accurate and really a good tool, the old one, just drove me nuts as to figuring out when a "click" was registered or not.

Overall Microsoft did some homework on this machine, nice layout and design.

Sadly, you still can't get 16GB of ram, and you can't get a 512GB drive unless you purchase the i7. I stayed with the i5 for battery life and the fact the i7 is not shipping to mid August.

This is true bleeding edge, as the units just shipped last week. I personally don't feel that the power management is correctly working as again, there is no way this machine would ever see 9 hours of battery life even on low brightness and only "using the web". Mine is tracking just about like the S Pro2 as far as battery life.

Early reviewers complained a lot about the "power management" so Microsoft may fix this in the future with either firmware which would be great, or they make a hardware change (not so good) as it would only effect new machines.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    The screen is impressive. So far it seems a bit better to read outdoors, not as much mirror reflections, but I have to pull it out in bright sun.

The letter box description is a good one and it did make using the S Pro 2 for every day work a bit tough, the new screen is more in the line of the Macbook air, in fact the screens are very close in size, about 1" in width and 1/2 in height (based on mac book air from 2 years ago but I believe the new ones have the same size screens-non letter box style Mac book Air).

One other thing, the touch pad, is now much more accurate and really a good tool, the old one, just drove me nuts as to figuring out when a "click" was registered or not.

Overall Microsoft did some homework on this machine, nice layout and design.

Sadly, you still can't get 16GB of ram, and you can't get a 512GB drive unless you purchase the i7. I stayed with the i5 for battery life and the fact the i7 is not shipping to mid August.

This is true bleeding edge, as the units just shipped last week. I personally don't feel that the power management is correctly working as again, there is no way this machine would ever see 9 hours of battery life even on low brightness and only "using the web". Mine is tracking just about like the S Pro2 as far as battery life.

Early reviewers complained a lot about the "power management" so Microsoft may fix this in the future with either firmware which would be great, or they make a hardware change (not so good) as it would only effect new machines.

Paul
    Agreed with much of what you say Paul.

There is a firmware update out already (16 June) so check that in 'Windows Update'. I just updated. Yes the touchpad is light years better now. the SP1/2 pad drove me nuts too - it was so poor.

Anyone bothering with the new pen input? I have been leery of it, but the new one is supposed to be pretty good, and maybe this means much easier selection of those small C1 buttons/menus.

Yes 16Gb RAM should be an option (Apple style they could charge ridiculous $$$ extra for it!) but I did sign up for the Microsoft Complete Care warranty that extends your warranty another year, to give 2 years total, and covers screen breakage up to 2 claims. I'm not a klutz, and have never broken a smartphone screen, but the SP3 glass is thinner now, as part of weight saving, and at $150 for 2 years, it seems worth it. (Though I'm just realizing my home insurance might cover me too. Ack.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a few other little issues,

The light on the plug doesn't turn off when the 3 is fully charged, which the Sur 2 did. Not sure what made Microsoft think that it was a good idea to leave it on.

Of course the Surface Pro2/3 Arc Mouse is not backwards compatible with older versions of bluetooth. That is stupid and could have easily be handled by a driver. Go figure.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So the iKlip arrived today. I'm trying to upload images, but having tech difficulties (very weird). I'll try again later.

It's all plastic. Weighs 9oz versus 16 for the Arkon. The screw to tighten the clamp to the tripod leg is also plastic, but tightening to much will definitely damage the carbon fiber. It is hard to get on the upper leg of my tripod (Gitzo 3540 XLS); the diameter if the upper leg is a bit wider than the clamp opening so you have to push it on with a bit of effort.

Seems sturdy and has good flex for various angles of view. I'll keep trying to put up pics. Because it's plastic, it doesn't feel quite as sturdy as the Arkon, but at about 1/2 the weight it's tempting...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two additional things (other than reduced weight) that I like about the iKlip are that you can angle it at 90 deg. (the socket has an indent so, depending on which way it's mounted on the tripod you can face the Surface 90 deg. up or down).
    Secondly, the Klip part is removable from the socket of the tripod clamp making it easy to stow in my tripod bag. Field testing hopefully this week and next.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the SP3 Firmware Update released last week has a faulty Wireless Driver in it, so your WiFi slows to a crawl on coming out of sleep (on battery power). Don't update at present. There are ways to roll back, but expect a fresh driver release very soon to fix the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For sure there is a fault with the wireless driver. I noticed and tried the updated firmware/drivers, the 06-14-14 load.

For me this gives me better battery life, maybe as much as 25% and the wireless seems to connect more solidly, however like Narikin mentioned, if you go to sleep or just close the lid, and don't do a full shutdown, you will have connection issues.

Mine also seems to come up, make a strong connection, work for 5 minutes or so, then you get a timed out wifi connection. You will see the strength bar in the lower right hand corner with the Yellow ? mark (never good with windows). I have found that when this occurs, a simple fix, turn off wifi, then back on and reconnect, seems to lock more solid after that.

After working with this machine for a 1 week, my net:
    Edit-- Microsoft has created a issue with the WiFi due to their attempt at improving the power management on the Pro3. You can fix this based on the post my Narikin, which takes you back to the power management style of the pro2 which works better. This whole situation surprises me since with all new devices, the user is tied only to WiFi, the hard Ethernet ports are most gone except for PC main boards. Thus issues like this with WiFi show up immediately
    The wifi issue is interesting as it appears to be the same wifi that the S Pro 2 has, i.e Marvell.

I may return this unit and wait a couple of months. as really none of these issues happen with the Pro2. It's a pretty solid box.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 1st July 2014 at 12:37.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a work around fix for the WiFi driver that works: (till the update is released)

It's not a biggie for me, I'll be keeping my machine. Yes MS Surface Pro's can be a bit more buggy than Apple's products, it goes without saying, but they are trying hard, and fast to be on top of things. The SP2 was simply an SP1 with an updated processor in it. That's it. Virtually everything else identical including the dreadful TrackPad. By then they had squashed most major issues. The SP3 is the first real new Surface Pro. Hence these minor niggles.

---------------------------------------
    "Fix coming
    Talked to a former peer and a hotfix should be released in the July patch cycle.

Ran into the same issue myself. Not so much a WiFi issue directly but more a power mgmt issue trying to tweak every place that can conserve battery...in which case wireless adapter power reduction.

Temp Fix:
    Enable Hyper-V to expose advanced power options settings, restart, open power options, click change plan settings, click advanced settings, expand wireless adapter power settings, change to max performance. Disable Hyper-V and restart. Now connects everytime and fixes connection speed display. May suck a little more juice but only for a week and half.
    -Tom
    29 June, 2014 01:32"
    -----------------------------------------
    To expand somewhat on Tom's fix, Hyper-V is is found under Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on and off
    After making the change and turning Hyper-V off, you'll have to go back to Power Management and set "what to do when I close the lid/press the power button" back to "sleep".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Narikin:

Thanks for the information.

The whole thing about the wifi had really been bugging me. This really fixes it.

I normally turn the wifi off, by disabling it via control panel, device manager when tethered so I wasn't seeing the issue in the field, but it was starting to really get on nerves when using the Pro 3 as a laptop.

This basically allows you back to the old power management setup, of the Pro2, where you now have all 3 power plans available. This is SOOO much better than Microsoft's keeping you locked out of things. You now can go into each of the 3 power plans, and fine tune them. Awesome.

The tip for the HyperV is really great and I may post this on my blog later as ever one needs to know this.

If you read between the lines, this is how Microsoft got to the 9 hour run time claims. They are attempting to tweak the power of everything even the wifi and that for now is a bit hard to manage. 'This is so critical and it actually might have a bit issue with tethering also, depending on what they did as a "set"power setting for the USB connection. If it also has the same type of range that the wifi has, then it's possible that the connection may time out.

Being able to get back to the basics and have the 3 power settings that then can be tweak, is really great. I can't thank you enough for this info. If and when Microsoft gets a fix in place, I may go back to the HyperV off, but trust me, Microsoft is not going to tell someone about this.

I had posted earlier on their official line on the power settings for the S pro3 in that balanced was the only power setting that would be offered. BS, all you have to do is know where and what HyperV is and turn it on. Of course Microsoft may write out the ability to change this later on, you never know.

Many thanks.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right, if you wish to keep Power Options in your control entirely (and suffer a modest hit in battery life) then you can leave Hyper-V enabled. It's that simple.

However, if you want max battery life, then re-enable Hyper-V after adjusting the WiFi adapter to Max power. It will stick at that, and no more WiFi issues.

Am sure this is a simple Driver update blunder that will be fixed in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other note, the "sleep" option goes away when you take back control over power management. You now have the old "hibernate" option available, which to me is better anyway, as the machine is truly off in hibernate, but remembers exactly where it was on reboot.

However the win 8.1 boot process is so much faster than win 7, it's kinda moot.

It appears if you want "sleep" you have to turn the Hyper V manager off.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 2nd July 2014 at 06:36. Reason: corrected information

Post Thanks / Like

A note to say a new firmware is out that fixes the wireless driver problem outlined above. All good on mine so far.

Apparently the SP3 was maybe going to have the new Broadwell 14nm mobile processor architecture, with even less power draw for slight performance bump, but Intel have pushed that back twice already (nobody sure if that is a real production issue, or some marketing ploy) but it is unlikely to arrive in an SP3 for now. I would guess that this SP3 configuration will stay in place to summer '15 or thereabouts.

Post Thanks / Like

I went on a shoot with only the surface pro 3. it's amazing and completed transformed the way I work. I do not only view, but also edit my images using the full suite of software: photoshop, lightroom, and capture 1. load time is very fast, comparable to a modern day mac book pro. Other than pano stitches which took longer, and crashed my surface once (I tried to start 4 stiches at once, so probably my fault).

the stylus is awesome. now it is very natural for me to edit my images using the pen instead of a mouse. the only annoying thing is that a lot of photoshop commands cannot be accessible through the touch screen or the pen. so you need to flip out the keyboard. other than that, maybe the font is too small on the smaller screen.

highly recommended piece of gear. buy the mid level option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you running with 8GB or 16GB of ram?

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I went on a shoot with only the surface pro 3. it's amazing and completed transformed the way I work. I do not only view, but also edit my images using the full suite of software: photoshop, lightroom, and capture 1. load time is very fast, comparable to a modern day mac book pro. Other than pano stitches which took longer, and crashed my surface once (I tried to start 4 stiches at once, so probably my fault).

the stylus is awesome. now it is very natural for me to edit my images using the pen instead of a mouse. the only annoying thing is that a lot of photoshop commands cannot be accessible through the touch screen or the pen. so you need to flip out the keyboard. other than that, maybe the font is too small on the smaller screen.

highly recommended piece of gear. buy the mid level option.
    Have you figured out a way to select two images (e.g., the image plus the LCC shot) so that you can apply the LCC in the field with only pen and no external keyboard? I can't find any guidance on how to do a <CTL>click or <SHIHT> click....
    Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did anyone notice the crappy video? Bad pixilation, in comparison to IPad. Couldn't find a fix, any thoughts?
    Arca Swiss Rm3di | XF | P1 IQ380 |

http://www.awolfphotography.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awolf View Post
    Did anyone notice the crappy video? Bad pixilation, in comparison to IPad. Couldn't find a fix, any thoughts?
    please explain what 'crappy video' you are talking about?

if you mean watching regular videos (i.e. nothing to do with Photographic Applications), then all I can say is I watch Netflix, Hulu, You Tube, etc, on mine perfectly well. No pixelation to speak of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I mean regular video. Pixelation is worse, and actually quite annoying in comparison to the IPad or MacBook. Apparently, it is an issue, just Google "pixelation on surface pro"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Are you running with 8GB or 16GB of ram?

Thanks
    Paul
    8 gig. i find it to be totally sufficient. the CPU will become the bottleneck in really big files, before the RAM becomes a problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Have you figured out a way to select two images (e.g., the image plus the LCC shot) so that you can apply the LCC in the field with only pen and no external keyboard? I can't find any guidance on how to do a <CTL>click or <SHIHT> click....
    Thanks,
    Bob
    No I haven't. I use an aptus 12, no USB3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awolf View Post
    Yes, I mean regular video. Pixelation is worse, and actually quite annoying in comparison to the IPad or MacBook. Apparently, it is an issue, just Google "pixelation on surface pro"
    Nope absolutely no problems watching hi res video trailers on YouTube.

However, this is a Pro photography forum, and, with respect, you are probably better off seeking help for general SP3 issues not connected with MF camera tethering elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    However, this is a Pro photography forum, and, with respect, you are probably better off seeking help for general SP3 issues not connected with MF camera tethering elsewhere.
    Thank you for your advice, however, with respect, some may want to know, before they spend their hard earned cash, that "some" of these units have video pixalation issues. True, it does not seem to effect tethering, but if you would like to use a Surface as a general purpose device (I know I would), you may be disappointed in its video performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Thanks,
    Bob

The following applies to Windows. See if it makes any sense in Capture One. I don't have a Windows tablet to try it.

The programmers need to make a program touch enabled. If it is, you should see an item check box in the left of the column header. If the item check box isn’t appearing, open the View tab and then enable the option named Item check boxes.

To select a file, tap just to the left of a file’s icon. A check box containing a check mark appears next to the file’s icon.

This is the trickiest part. With the tip of your pinky, tap just to the left of the file’s name. When you tap in just the right spot, you place a check mark in the box that appears.

As you quickly discover, this takes practice. If just one tap is off, Windows deselects everything, and selects only what you’ve just tapped. Keep trying, and you’ll eventually find the sweet spot, just to the left of the file’s icon.

--Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

With the introduction of the Surface Pro 3, I think it appropriate for all MFDB Surface Pro users to share their tips/tricks/workflow here.

With regard to users seeking to have the choice of where their files are saved (to wit, to the computer or to the MFDB CF card or both someday) the latest update to the Phase IQ MFDBs includes the option to choose where your files are written/saved to.

In the Menu section, select Storage, then choose the desired storage location (Auto, CF, Firewire, USB). Auto will select by default the Surface Pro when tethered. It's a pita, but SP tethered users can now select via menu "CF" prior to shooting that final composed shot, and that final image capture will be saved to the CF card rather than the Surface Pro. Also, because the USB interface is so plug-and-play friendly, you can simply disconnect the USB3 cord, shoot, and then reconnect.

Phase One----you're really really close now. Maybe on the next firmware update please??

What needs to happen now is that under the Menu Storage options, users be given the ability to tap-select up to two selections (instead of just one) when tethered, giving users the ability to Save to CF only, Save to Surface Pro/Laptop only, or Save to both CF and to Surface Pro/Laptop---recognizing that writing the files to both may take a little more time, but with the added security of saving to two locations. Let the user decide!

Right now I'm still comfortable saving to the SP2 and then later transferring the RAW files to my main workstation, but I'd really like the option to save to both Surface Pro and to the MFDB CF card, keeping more in line with my shooting untethered C1 Pro post-processing workflow on my workstation.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree. Safely it might be a liming the processor/data path in that it's only a one threaded layout. If it's overhead/speed I am like Ken in that I can give up a bit if speed to write to both.

One problem might be that since in tethered mode a user can work on a file that it might create a problem in reconciling the two files. I often push up the shadows in my custom tethered workspace. This creates a Capture One folder with the settings folder. The raws off the card will not have this.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also wanted to add:

If you are considering the Surface 3, I would wait a few more months. There is no doubt this product was rushed to market for the fall school purchases.

Compared to my 2, the 3 is less stable, has a shorter battery life, and also errors on reporting said battery life. Once below 30 percent the accuracy gets very poor.

I have had a case open with Microsoft on this for 2 weeks. Net, they want to totally reload the OS on the machine. Which removes everything and brings it back to a as new state. I don't want to do this, because I have already loaded office, (if you have ever tried to get an installation of office to reinstall without 20 support calls, you know what I mean).

The latest firmware (from what I can tell there have been 2 major firmware updates), fixed the wifi issues. However by default Microsoft limits the available power management to only balanced, and gives the user much less control, both when "high performance" or "power saver" times are needed. You can get the 3 to accept this, but I am not sure if in doing so, you are running the hardware as optimally as can be done. If you want to get to the 3 power manage states, I have written how here:

07/09/14 Power Options on Surface Pro-3–How to improve your WiFi Connection with Hyper-V

I believe that Microsoft will get this fixed along with the other problem, with hardware updates, behind the covers, which is typically how this is done anyway. My 2 was purchased at the end of the lifetime curve, is much more stable, and has a BETTER battery life. I have the 8GB 256MB versions of both. The 9 HOUR OF LIFE claims are bogus at least for now. The 3 can't get anywhere close to 9 hours. I have tested it with the specs that Microsoft claims (internet only, with no bluetooth on) screen brightness to totally low, you might get 5 to 6 hours.

When you really think about it, it's not surprising. The 2 has a bit larger battery pack (you can find various websites where they have taken both of them apart) so the 3 was supposedly using a new battery tech, more efficient Lithium cells that weight less and last longer. They may get this done with a hardware refresh to later models.

ALSO, my 3 runs hotter. Most times I run it with the AC plugged in the fan comes on within 15 minutes. If I tether to the Phase One camera, and run in balanced power, after about 10 minutes the fan comes on. The entire unit gets hot to the touch on the upper right back, which must be where the processor is. The 2 will go 30 to 40 minutes before the fan comes on unless I have it out in bright light. The outside heat and humidity in Arkansas right now does not lend itself to extended use of either machine.

One plus, to me the screen of the 3 is excellent, seems easier to read outdoors and for sure makes the use of tethering easier as I prefer the size of the screen, i.e. more a normal ratio, not the more panoramic size of the 2 screen.

Manvex case fits perfectly also.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

agree that my pro 3 doesn't get close to 9 hours, using the wifi seems to drain it in 4-5.

but still it's an excellent device. Frankly i didn't notice the above issues until Paul mentioned it. But I'm a computer geek who builds pcs for fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this has been asked a zillion of times but it's kind of hard to find the proper answer, so I ask again:

If you have a legacy digital back with firewire connection rather than USB3 and want to shoot tethered with this Surface Pro 3 in the field, is there any not-too-bulky adapter that can be used for this? I assume that the power consumption of the back will be a problem, so the adapter would need some battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, there currently is not a firewire to USB3 conversion adapter out there. Some are advertized but they are a high risk to both camera and PC as there is no standard on the voltage being used.

It's a real tragedy IMO as this solution makes a P65+ class back a great solution as the SP3 or 2 works so well for screen preview mode. The actual chip in the P65+ is the same as the one in the 160, and based on my work, not sure that there is much difference between the 160 or 260.

You have to be on a Credo or IQ back for it to work.

If you had a back with a USB2 connection it should work, however much slower speed.

Simple idea, great idea, and it has revolutionized tech camera shooting for me.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Torger--with regard to a Firewire-USB adapter/converter---in a nutshell, it is not possible. The Firewire and USB3 are different protocols. There is some discussion on this in the earlier Surface Pro 2 tethering thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...edo-mfdbs.html

If Phase One did offer a "upgrade" for older Legacy backs, upgrading and replacing the Firewire card and port with the newer USB3 standard---*wow* this would really breathe some new life into some really great MFDBs. No idea if this would even be possible, even with that special inexpensive price to play here in Dante's Inferno (that's sarcasm btw). But still just the thought....and with the Surface Pro....

If you have a Firewire MFDB, your best option for tethering on location is a Macbook Pro/Air with Firewire/Thunderbolt.

The Surface Pro is a great tethering on location option. And what a great excuse for you to upgrade to a Credo or IQ series MFDB.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

So why do you guys like the SP so much better than a Macbook air (11'') ? It seems from the weight and bulk point of view, they are close.
    Is the screen better for daylight work ? Or is it the form factor that makes it easier to handle and attach to the tripod ?
    I hope it's not one of those "I don't want no stinkin' mac" things :-)

Post Thanks / Like

In short, it's a combination of things including tablet form factor (but with the power of a laptop) and USB3 capability. You can get an idea from my blog review of the Surface Pro 2 and why I think the Surface Pro is a game changer for USB3 enabled MFDBs.

See, Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

It's definitely not one of those "I don't want no stinkin' mac things"---in fact, I know a few dedicated Mac-users who very reluctantly purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro to accompany their Phase IQ series MFDBs.

And, imho, the IQ2 series MFDBs using it's WiFi coupled with Apple iPad and Capture Pilot pale in comparison to the capability of a MFDB tethered to the Surface Pro. It's not even close. And when comparing Firewire to USB3, USB3 is simply much easier to use. There is no fiddling around; it just works.

The Surface Pro with its touch screen interface is like a natural extension of the IQ MFDB screen. The SP3 adds a slightly larger screen and in a lighter package. What's not to like?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is no Mac that allows you to take the keyboard off. In the field that same keyboard gets in the way and does not allow as streamlined a setup.

I assume Mac will follow up eventually if they see that the Surface 3 and 2 have made a good toehold.

Most of the rest of the products either don't have the necessary horsepower, storage or a keyboard that is removable.

Paul

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting thread this, but why is it on the MF forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Because the Surface Pros have become useful accessories for MFD tethering
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post