The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New camera from Phase One?

Nothing new. I recall Phase has bundled camera bodies and the 80mm lens before. It's just further incentive to enter Dante's Inferno.

C'mon in.....
When I purchased my first MFDB P45+, Phase had year end deal - Free AFDx, Phase/Mamiya 80mm f/2.8 & Phase 28mm f/4.5. I know what that deal did to my bank account in long run :-(

malmac

Bill, it is nearly a year ago since you started this thread.

Well where is that damn new Phase One camera?

Mal

kdphotography

I'm still hanging my hat on June. I'm ready to go to Atlanta and hang out in the receiving area with Anthony.... :D

Being able to use Leaf Shutter lenses and fast flash sync makes all the difference in the world. Otherwise, I'd love to convert a 645z to full spectrum... ;)

tjv

It's been ages, but I'm mostly sure the wait will be worth it for those that have stuck it out. If I owned an IQ back, I'd be holding out for multiple autofocus points, an integrated power solution that doesn't require the use of addition power in the body, customisable viewfinder options and a more responsive and accurate AF mechanism. Here's hoping!

I think Hasselblad must be due to drop an update soon, too. We're getting into the "season", I think. I see they've discontinued the H5D-50 CCD and are offering "end of line" deals on it and the H5D-40. Woudn't be surprised if Phase and Hasselblad both release new bodies, backs and updates and about the same time. I'll watch on from the sidelines hoping that Hasselblad improve their back interface and update the screen, and Phase / Leaf owners get their long awaited new camera.

In the meantime, Leica S owners still wait for the 007. Their decision to stay with 37mpx confuses the hell out of me –*their reasoning seems like weak excuses. Then again, there's no debate about Leica's beautiful glass or the handling of the S body...

malmac

Well if I had Methuselah's genes I might not worry but the years are slipping away and I wait, we wait but WHEN will it come??????

Mal

jagsiva

At this point, I'd think the camera will be biased towards upcoming CMOS backs and will push future sales of CMOS backs. Not sure how relevant it will be for the old CCD IQ/P+backs.

algrove

In the meantime, Leica S owners still wait for the 007. Their decision to stay with 37mpx confuses the hell out of me –*their reasoning seems like weak excuses. Then again, there's no debate about Leica's beautiful glass or the handling of the S body...
If glass is the only argument, then there is no argument as the world passes them by. 51MP versus 37MP is 36% more. That is not a small number. But it is also what more you can do with that 51MP sensor and how it handles high ISO. One can probably get 3-4 new 645Z bodies at $7500 for the price of one CMOS S 007 model.

I sometimes shoot with an S body friend and during a recent sunrise I mentioned I was using 1600 to 3200 ISO for the DOF I wanted. He laughed and said those ISO levels were going to ruin my shots. I understood his comment coming from a 400ISO max device. BTW, my shots were just fine.

Paul2660

I was thinking about the "new" body a bit last night and really after a bit of thought, I am curious what everyone is looking for? Phase is limited to design by the fact that they have backs that are detachable. To me this eliminates quite a bit of the features I wanted to see, namely:

1. EVF, this would imply mirrorless and a lot more dedicated communication between the back and camera. In all the cameras I have used that have a EVF the communication between the sensor and EVF is a dedicated pipeline of data, and I can't see this working with a back that can be removed.

2. Mirrorless, all the lenses out there right now (besides tech glass) are designed to be used in with a mirror box. So if the new body went mirrorless, then all current lenses would not work, unless some form of new adapter was created. An adapter to push the distance back of the rear element. New lenses could be built around a mirrorless solution but there are a huge number of users that would not be able to take advantage of this.

3. LIveview, well, until CMOS is the standard, everyone out there with CCD will still see the same issues that are out there now, so only the 50MP backs can really take advantage of any enhancements to LiveView. To me, that's not anywhere near the total number of backs out there currently and by far most of the folks here are still on CCD style backs.

4. Tilting LCD, again limited by the fact that the current backs all have an excellent LCD. To create an LCD that moved would mean somehow encapsulating the back with the camera so that an LCD on the camera would be the one to view. Current Phase backs, need access from the rear, so unless the new camera's LCD lifted up, allowing the back to be connected, then coming back into position I can't see any tilting LCD option. (to me this is a huge need in MF as it's very hard to get down low and view a LCD that will not move) I have wondered if in the future Phase would offer a tilting LCD on the MF back? That would be great, and would work well with a new camera body.

5. AF, sure the DF+ only has 3 really 1 point, center, so I can see room for improvement. But without an EVF style viewer, you could only see the AF points in the optical viewfinder, like in the current DF+. The backs all have excellent touch screens, wouldn't it be great to see a AF design that allowed you to tap on the location on the screen? Well, that would mean you need live view CMOS Liveview, I believe? So again the vast majority of current backs would be not able to take advantage.

Not at all trying to be negative, I am just asking others to look at current DSLR bodies which have all the integration that everyone seems to be asking for in the new Phase One body. I just can't see it getting there unless you have a CMOS solution, or a brand new design of CCD that has more integration. Either way current CCD backs are not going to have the handshake that is needed.

The new body may be a perfect compliment to the CMOS backs Phase now has, but the CCD's are all over a year old in design, unless Phase has built in features that have not yet been turned on?

I am just curious what others are looking for what they feel the feature set will be considering that the vast majority of backs out there in use are still all legacy CCD?

Paul

jerome_m

1. EVF (...)
2. Mirrorless (...)
3. LIveview (...)
4. Tilting LCD (...)
5. AF (...)
1: I moved to MF, because I do not want an EVF, so obviously I am not looking for that.
2: That exists, it is called a tech cam.
3: That is a feature of the back, not of the camera.
4: That is a feature of the back, not of the camera.
5: That is an important feature: on my H4D, I appreciate that I have a very accurate AF which focusses with an accuracy of a fraction of mm on whatever I chose to focus on. I am not sure that PhaseOne user have it so good (really: I don't know).

I am just curious what others are looking for what they feel the feature set will be considering that the vast majority of backs out there in use are still all legacy CCD?
As I said, AF is a possibility. Some features of the competition would probably be nice to have:
-better exposure metering, some kind of matrix metering would be nice in some cases (not very important for me)
-detachable finder, so as to use a waist level finder (and please, make it collapsible, not like the HVM!)
-better weather sealing, as Pentax is doing
-two tripod mounts, as Pentax is doing
-maybe studio shooters would appreciate a built-in wireless flash or some kind of built-in flash meter (Hasselblad has a built-in flash meter, but I have never used it)

That is all I can think about for the moment, but I am sure others will chime in with better ideas.