The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider/Phase 40-80mm LS Zoom Test

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We've completed a basic test of the Schneider 40-80LS Zoom for the Phase One DF/DF+.

Below are some quick 100% crops for fast/easy viewing. We also have full-res 100% JPGS on our website and raws available upon request.

Note that the above JPGS include adjustments including automatic lens correction and automatic perspective correction using the IQ2's built-in 2-way electronic level ("just push the magic button in C1"). If you'd prefer to make the judgement without these feel free to request the raw files and process as you please.

Last edited:

satybhat

Amazing.
I had a similar experience with the 75-150LS recently. Will post a few pics on another thread. It would be good to compare these with jpgs from a tech cam.
Thanks

Dan Santoso

sharper than 80mm LS I think.

My 80mm LS is the softest lens in my arsenal. I have 6.

It is the lens I used most of the time, I wish it is better.

Doug

Thanks very much for these - really appreciated as I'm just thinking about trading in a whole bunch of gear for that lens. It doesn't look tech cam sharp to me but it's a little hard to tell. Do you have any plans to test it directly against Rodenstocks?

best
Richard

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks very much for these - really appreciated as I'm just thinking about trading in a whole bunch of gear for that lens. It doesn't look tech cam sharp to me but it's a little hard to tell. Do you have any plans to test it directly against Rodenstocks?
Probably not, only because we consider them pretty different use cases. That doesn't mean their uses won't overlap for some users, but I think it'd be the exception, not the rule. Maybe we should rethink this after these results? I don't know - will think about it this weekend.

But of course we're always glad to have clients come and do their own tests. You're only a flight away and the cost of the flight looks like a great value when considering the cost of the lens! :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
And is it just me or are the colours significantly brighter out of the camera on the IQ250? IQ260 images look flat by comparison.
Light/Clouds were changing and I was using aperture-priority metering as my chief concentration was to ensure consistent focus for comparison of sharpness throughout the frame.

I've done quite a bit now with both the IQ250 and IQ260 and the out of camera rendering is not identical, but it's pretty close - if all else is held equal.

Feel free to ping me for the raws if you want to tweak exposure to more closely match on any given frame.