The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus prototype - first hands on look

daf

looks like you can get both the 72+180mm both in copal0 for a grand total of 3800$ + shipping

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bummer about Schneider :cry: At some point I'd like an Alpa mount 60 XL, hopefully before the cupboard is totally bare.

vjbelle

Graham, Check with Linhof & Studio to see if they have stock. I just bought the 72mm and will also be getting the 120mm from them. Prices are the best I have seen and they are very responsive. The 60mm is a killer lens - one of my favorites. With my Credo-Leaf it turns into a 78mm which is a nice working focal length for me. I had Schneider tweek it for me which they did at no charge. My copy was slightly skewed..... now its about as perfect as its ever going to get.

Victor

Steve Hendrix

looks like you can get both the 72+180mm both in copal0 for a grand total of 3800$ + shipping

This is great.

But this pricing is not difficult for a good US dealer to provide either. Same goes for Rodenstock.

And if you're in the USA, free ground shipping from CI (oops, sorry for the self-plug, but hey, I started the dang thread anyway!)

:p

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

GrahamWelland

This is great.

But this pricing is not difficult for a good US dealer to provide either. Same goes for Rodenstock.

And if you're in the USA, free ground shipping from CI (oops, sorry for the self-plug, but hey, I started the dang thread anyway!)

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
More importantly you can ring them up and deal with somebody 'local' should you need any assistance. :thumbup:

daf

This is great.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

So you can make 20% off on your Rodenstok price list, that a good new for US buyer ;)

vjbelle

This is great.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
I have a strong affinity for C1 and give you all of the business I can but...... if the best you can do is match the wildly inflated Rody pricing by B&H then I gotta move on. As for Schneider if you don't actually have the lens in Copal 0 in stock then chances are you will never be able to get it.

Victor

Steve Hendrix

I have a strong affinity for C1 and give you all of the business I can but...... if the best you can do is match the wildly inflated Rody pricing by B&H then I gotta move on. As for Schneider if you don't actually have the lens in Copal 0 in stock then chances are you will never be able to get it.

Victor

And we appreciate the affinity, Victor!

I never said we match BH pricing. Is it ok if we beat BH pricing? We import Rodenstock and so do not present a "price list" (DAF) because the pricing will fluctuate depending on currency conversions.

I recommend any of my clients contact me directly for pricing and availability on any of these lenses. If I don't have one on the shelf, it does not mean I cannot get one within a matter of days, I have more sources than just Schneider/Rodenstock themselves!

And to be clear, I'm all for the success of other dealers who provide good service, wherever they are. They reinforce that it exists and is possible and contribute to the momentum of more options with that value equation vs the "add to cart" buying process.

Steve Hendrix

jlm

Workshop Member
just to spice this up with a picture, here is the actus with the 28mm cambo wrs mount lens fitted to the Actus

daf

Looks like there is some improvement on the actus:
-geared shift
-Rise/fall mm indicator
-build in bubble level
Is this only available for the db version ? or the standart version?
Actus-DB-plus_detail002.jpgActus-DB-plus_detail001.jpg

vjbelle

Its only available, afaik, for the DB+ version...... I will be receiving mine in about a week. All movements are geared which is an improvement although I wouldn't have minded friction shift. There is also an engraved rail with markings for all of the Schneider and Rody lenses..... I assume maybe infinity stops. I think of it as my 'get out of Alpa jail camera'. No more ultra premium prices for lenses..... a welcome relief.

Victor

jlm

Workshop Member
as i recall, they have more space available with the DB version, hence the levels and slightly different standard.

since there are two moving elements for the focus rail, i'm not sure how useful lens specific markings would be; maybe as anti-crash indicators, rear element to DB?

GrahamWelland

Looks like there is some improvement on the actus:
-geared shift
-Rise/fall mm indicator
-build in bubble level
Is this only available for the db version ? or the standart version?
View attachment 114130View attachment 114131
That's the DB+ version. Neither the Actus Mini or DB have the rise indicator, geared rear shift or the lens infinity base markings.

as i recall, they have more space available with the DB version, hence the levels and slightly different standard.

since there are two moving elements for the focus rail, i'm not sure how useful lens specific markings would be; maybe as anti-crash indicators, rear element to DB?
The infinity marks on the base rail allow you to set the crash bar for your lens and obviously the sliding rail to make it easier to dial in at 0 to infinity on the geared adjuster. Assuming of course that you are using a lens mounted in the Cambo Copal 0 lens boards. Not so useful if you are using an Alpa mounted lens on a Milich or Cambo plate though as the center of the lens is at a different position on the front mount. :facesmack:

Anyway, with the DB+ the are Rodie lens index markings on the left side of the base rail and Schneider ones on the right. R23HR, R28HR, R35HR, R60HR, R32/40HR, R70HR and R50R and on other side S 35XL, S43XL, S47XL, S60XL, S72L, S80N, S90N

Last edited:

vjbelle

It makes a lot of sense to have settings for a crash bar..... I'm curious why they didn't include any of the wider Schneider lenses (Beyond the 35XL). Maybe those lenses won't reach infinity.... doesn't matter to me since I would not be utilizing those lenses but just curious.

Victor

jlm

Workshop Member
my pic shows the 28 fitted and it would focus at infinity. and i use the 32; of course these are the highest potential for crashing!

basic limitation is how close you can get the standards with the bellows in there, and then over-doing it, crunching the rear element into the rear standard or the DB:facesmack:. i am showing the Cambo WRS mounted lens, (with an adapter) which, because it holds the lens further away from the mounting plane compresses the bellows even more), but it worked

vjbelle

If I were more of a Wide Angle user I would have an interest in the 32mm Rody - which I can get in Copal 0 for substantially less than the outlandish price that Alpa charges. I have my Alpa mount 35XL which I can shift 10mm on my Leaf Credo and 5mm, for sure, on my IQ180. Its a very sharp lens but mostly I just prefer to use it without shifts and rotate around the nodal for increased coverage - if needed. I did purchase the 72mm Schneider and the 120mm Aspherical in Copal 0- both lenses I really wanted. I also purchased the 90mm Rody SW f5.6 so I have three lenses in the focal range that I mostly use for the Actus. Of course I should be able to use all of my Alpa lenses and am getting the Cambo adapter. I sure saved a chunk of money buying the three lenses for the Actus in Copal 0 vs buying them for my STC..... a REAL chunk of money!

Victor