The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a hybrid in Landscape Photography

mesposito

Ok, I've been busy writing lately. I have a detailed article on using a hybrid car to do Landscape Photography.

I know it sounds weird, or almost off-topic, but the vehicle is just another tool for some of us.

For me it has worked out very well. Surprisingly better than I would have hoped for. There is a downside to not having truck clearance, but the financial benefits are huge in comparison.

Read it here

Let me know your thoughts. I'm sure you all have done your share of flipping through vehicles coming up with something that works.

Paul2660

If only Subaru would make a hybrid outback:)

Where I go, the current lineup of hybrids, just can't go.

When I last looked at the hybrids, from Toyota they mainly converted the charge to the battery from braking friction. Not sure if they still work this way or not. The equipment that is utilized, is down in by the wheels and thus can be damaged in most moderate to hard off road driving.

There has not been much improvement in several years in designs, but hopefully they can get a gas engine to make 50 to 60mpg.

Technology should be there when you consider a 80000lb big rig is getting around 7 to 9 mpg on the highway. I realize that is diesel, but we should be able to stretch the gas engine a lot more. I could care less about brake horse power and pulling away from a street light faster then the next guy.

Paul

mesposito

If only Subaru would make a hybrid outback:)

Where I go, the current lineup of hybrids, just can't go.

When I last looked at the hybrids, from Toyota they mainly converted the charge to the battery from braking friction. Not sure if they still work this way or not.
Paul
It does generate juice from braking, but that's not the only method. Looking at the visuals, it is also feeding the battery whenever you are accelerating with the gas engine. So, it doesn't require braking to keep the battery charged.

I completely agree though that the Prius is no off-road vehicle.