The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW PHASEONE CAMERA BODY NEW?

nenes

Hi ALL.

I would like to know if someone knows if its going to be a replacement of the phase one 645df + near soon before to purchase another brand camera.

After pay a big amount of money for an IQ160 KIT WITH PHASEONE 645DF BODY AND 80MM LENS… I m hopeless that it is worth the money being in 2014 with a expensive system that it does even include weather sealing, camera /back does not have a very good relation ship, waaaaaaaay to slow,

I m thinking on selling everything and purchase some of the 35mm good options with all their lenses and still having money to buy a car , and when need it, rent a medium format system.

I feel kind of screw after buying a camera body that just do not work fine with this back and on + have to buy a new update soon….

Thanks for your time.

hogweed

Only rumors for the moment, i'm sorry.

I heard it will be available/announced early 2015.
Which is a pity, it's a photokina year. On the other hand P1 won't announce something, that is not immediately available, which is a fair move imho.

Don Libby

I've done location landscape/wildlife shots in some extreme weather ranging from way too hot, dusty, high winds with dust, freezing, rain, snow sleet, hail and lightning. In none of those circumstances did I ever regret using either the WRS and IQ or the DF and IQ back. There might be a lack of weather sealing however with just a little forethought and planning I was able to get excellent image files. I might also add that I gave out way before the equipment did.

Do I long for a new camera body? Damm straight I do however weather sealing is low on my list.

I happen to be using a DF and IQ and have no problems/concerns regarding the two being able to talk. I'd suggest if you are having problems with their relationship you check to make certain your firmware is up to date - this is something your dealer can help you with.

MILESF

Only rumors for the moment, i'm sorry.

I heard it will be available/announced early 2015.
Which is a pity, it's a photokina year. On the other hand P1 won't announce something, that is not immediately available, which is a fair move imho.
Well, they've been guilty of long periods between announcement and availability in the past (LS240mm for instance) but perhaps they're more carefiul now. A new body is needed and they've ackowledged that they are working on one. Assuming that it won't be a 645DF++ it could be a very interesting product. I too fear we may have to wait beyond Photokina to see it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well, they've been guilty of long periods between announcement and availability in the past (LS240mm for instance) but perhaps they're more carefiul now. A new body is needed and they've ackowledged that they are working on one. Assuming that it won't be a 645DF++ it could be a very interesting product. I too fear we may have to wait beyond Photokina to see it.
Most recent example was the IQ250 and 40-80LS which were both available (in the real meaningful "here is one for you to buy and take home sense") very shortly after announcement.

In the past the gap was often several months, or in a few cases (e.g. Mamiya 45-90 zoom) was announced and never shipped.

We've been told the new policy is to announce new products only shortly before shipping. This has some downsides (makes it harder to plan for both customers and dealers) and some upsides (people won't feel misled by something that is announced but is then delayed). I don't think either policy is perfect but if I had to pick I'd rather stick with announce-and-ship.

Of course Phase could always change their policy again, but I have a feeling they won't anytime soon.

Don Libby

I had such high hopes last year (and the year before that) so now I just keep going on with the DF until the new body finally gets here. I had come close to switching over to the DF+ after it was first released however in the end I felt it wasn't worth it for what I'd get. So here I am waiting like everyone else. What I'm finding the more I use the 240 & 2x is that I need better focusing which is the main thing I hope the new body offers. While we're on the subjects of wishes - I wish/hope the 2x will be revamped to allow auto focus much like Canon does.

nenes

I had such high hopes last year (and the year before that) so now I just keep going on with the DF until the new body finally gets here. I had come close to switching over to the DF+ after it was first released however in the end I felt it wasn't worth it for what I'd get. So here I am waiting like everyone else. What I'm finding the more I use the 240 & 2x is that I need better focusing which is the main thing I hope the new body offers. While we're on the subjects of wishes - I wish/hope the 2x will be revamped to allow auto focus much like Canon does.
Before i had the p40+ with the phaseone 645df body, and after i upgrade to iq160 .
The image quality is good but it takes forever to take a picture and if you are not shooting landscape it is frustrating,.the DB it is much slower to be ready than the camera body, so each time that you shoot you have to listen to the bip from the body and after the bip from the back and at the end you just pay attencion to the camera instead to the picture I.M.O this is not a worth money for a profesional system ,not at all.

malmac

I guess if Phase release a new camera body the sales will consist of;

1. Those who have an existing back

2. Those who don't yet own a Phase One back and have never owned one.

3. Those who used to own a Phase back, sold it and then come back to the fold because the new camera is so good.

It would be interesting to know how many people in group one and three are likely to spend more money on a new camera body.

In the early days after buying the IQ180 I was hot to trot for a new camera body.

Now I am in less of a rush and may well upgrade my 35mm camera before I even consider a new Phase Camera body even if it came out tomorrow.

Many people talk about mirrorless camera bodies - well I used my wife's A7R yesterday and the lag between taking an image and then being able to compose the next shot made my 645DF seem like a rocket ship. So maybe the perfect camera body is still a long way off.

Mal

nenes

The funny thing is that no one tells you that the camera and DB just works indepently and that the IQ160 takes forever to be ready after each shoot and that if you make focus it does not mather because you cannot shoot untilthe DB is ready , wich means that you have to make focus again but of course you already pay 40 grand for a system like this .IS IT NOT CRAZY? IN 2014? How come my camera body works better with a cheaper DB?
AND ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING , WHY THE AEL BUTTON IS SO SMALL THAT IS NOT EVEN USEFULL TO FOCUS WITH in a camera body that cost. 6000€ and that is the same camera than15 years ago?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Agreed about the AEL button, although in truth I think that you'll find that most folks swap the buttons as a custom option anyway.

Steve Hendrix

Before i had the p40+ with the phaseone 645df body, and after i upgrade to iq160 .
The image quality is good but it takes forever to take a picture and if you are not shooting landscape it is frustrating,.the DB it is much slower to be ready than the camera body, so each time that you shoot you have to listen to the bip from the body and after the bip from the back and at the end you just pay attencion to the camera instead to the picture I.M.O this is not a worth money for a profesional system ,not at all.

As others have stated before me, I would recommend you contact your dealer to resolve this. If your IQ160 is capturing at roughly a second or so per shot, then that is normal. If not, then you have a problem. But complaining about a product that is not functioning normally doesn't add much to the conversation. You should get the problem resolved, and then you can more accurately assess the wisdom of owning the kit (and the tiny little nub of an AEL button!).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

nenes

As others have stated before me, I would recommend you contact your dealer to resolve this. If your IQ160 is capturing at roughly a second or so per shot, then that is normal. If not, then you have a problem. But complaining about a product that is not functioning normally doesn't add much to the conversation. You should get the problem resolved, and then you can more accurately assess the wisdom of owning the kit (and the tiny little nub of an AEL button!).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
THE CAMERA DOES NOT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A PROBLEM, IT IS NOT THE FIRS CAMERA I GOT IN MY HANDS:banghead: ITJUST WORKS THAT WAY FROM THE FIRST DAY, IT IS JUST THAT WITH THE Q160 IS MUCH SLOWER .I WOULD GO TO THE STORE AND SEE IF IT IS BROKEN BUT I WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT 1 mounth to figure it out and ido not have time for it.
ANYWAY IT LOOKS LIKE EVERY BODY IS HAPPY PAYING 6000€/$ for a camera body like this so it is ok ....have fun tryng to focus instead taking pictures, I THOUGHT PHOTOGRAPHY WAS ABOUT CAPTURE THE MOMENT NOT ABOUT WAIT FOR THE CAMERA TO BE READY
LOOKS LIKE PHASE ONE ITs PERFECT but we are the one s tryng your products so maybe it is good for phase one to look arround and see what is going on out there instead saying every thing is OK .
I do not think medium format systems are making their market bigger....and it wont at thoose prices and specs

Last edited:

gerald.d

I guess if Phase release a new camera body the sales will consist of;

1. Those who have an existing back

2. Those who don't yet own a Phase One back and have never owned one.

3. Those who used to own a Phase back, sold it and then come back to the fold because the new camera is so good.

It would be interesting to know how many people in group one and three are likely to spend more money on a new camera body.

In the early days after buying the IQ180 I was hot to trot for a new camera body.

Now I am in less of a rush and may well upgrade my 35mm camera before I even consider a new Phase Camera body even if it came out tomorrow.

Many people talk about mirrorless camera bodies - well I used my wife's A7R yesterday and the lag between taking an image and then being able to compose the next shot made my 645DF seem like a rocket ship. So maybe the perfect camera body is still a long way off.

Mal
I think that in group 1 there are probably quite a lot of people like me - people who simply will not invest in the Phase One body/lens system until there is a really good body.

Much as I love my ALPA's, there is no question that there are situations where I wish I could put the backs on a decent DSLR-type body. And if that body ever comes out, Phase One will be selling a lot more lenses to go with it.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Mammy645

I'm still using my AFD (first generation) because I never thought the refinements and incarnations after that were big enough to warrant an upgrade. I've been waiting for (longer than I expected) that huge leap and completely new camera before taking the plunge. In the meantime I bought an rz67 instead, it gave me more of what I was missing in the AFD than the new iterations of that platform did.

steve_cor

Nenes,
There is a review of the Leaf Credo 60 by Frank Doorhof. You can find it if you search with Google for Leaf Credo 60 review. This is an excerpt from his review regarding the speed of the back:

In fashion shoots I love to shoot slow but I also love to say to the model “go wild” and just put the camera on auto shooting. With the Leaf Aptus II-7 the pace was approximately 1.1 seconds per frame which is very nice to keep the model into her “groove” but also make sure she/he has time to change poses.

The Credo60 somehow solved this problem, it clocks in at a very nice 1 frame per second. I know it doesn’t sound like a big difference between 1.1 seconds per frame and 1 second per frame but when shooting it makes a huge difference. The Credo60 is perfect for the “go wild” sessions. I used the Credo60 this weekend in a workshop with a model that knows the Aptus II-7 and even she commented that the Credo60′s pace was much nicer for her to pose to. And the fun thing….. it keeps the same pace on the card…..

--Steve.

tjv

Get a mount swap to Hasselblad H, perhaps? The H4X body is miles ahead, all be it without some of the integration of using both an H body and back.

nenes

Get a mount swap to Hasselblad H, perhaps? The H4X body is miles ahead, all be it without some of the integration of using both an H body and back.
THANKS FOR THE IDEA BUT I DO NOT SPEND ANY PENNY IN PHASE ONE SYSTEM OR NOW SONY ANYMORE, DO NOT TRUST ANY BRAND , EXPECILY DIGITAL ONES

BUT THANKS A LOT , IT WOULD BE A VERY GOOD IDEA....BUT PHASE ONE CHARGES YOu arround 5 grand to change the plate for hasselblad h mount body ....cheap heeee..... I prefer to by the best 35mm dslr on the market and nail the focus out of the chair and without the need of carring un umbrela in case it rains....

Paul2660

THANKS FOR THE IDEA BUT I DO NOT SPEND ANY PENNY IN PHASE ONE SYSTEM OR NOW SONY ANYMORE, DO NOT TRUST ANY BRAND , EXPECILY DIGITAL ONES

BUT THANKS A LOT , IT WOULD BE A VERY GOOD IDEA....BUT PHASE ONE CHARGES YOu arround 5 grand to change the plate for hasselblad h mount body ....cheap heeee..... I prefer to by the best 35mm dslr on the market and nail the focus out of the chair and without the need of carring un umbrela in case it rains....
Take a breath, calm down and go back to the previous threads again. Steve Hendrix, for one and Don Libby for 2nd and Graham Welland, 3rd, all use this back/camera combo. Steve is a dealer rep, but very knowledgeable on this system. Don and Graham have 1000's of exposures with the system on 160 and 260 backs. All of them are telling you this is not normal behavior, in having that long a pause.

I have 1000's on a 160 and a few hundred on a 260, and I have never seen this type of behavior, ever.

You should get pretty much instant feedback, once you fire the shutter, and within 1 sec or .5 second you should hear the beep, telling you the back is free. You aren't going to get 5 frames per second on this camera, but you should not be waiting that long on the back, ever with a DF or DF+.

The back and DF are very tightly linked with firmware and if one is out of sync then this can happen.

Do you have a value add warranty or just base warranty on the 160? If Value Add this should be a free call to any Phase One dealer, and if out of warranty, getting the back and DF back in sync should not be a lot.

There are a lot of things that could be causing this, but note, it's not normal and more than likely if you got a "new" camera body, you would have the same problems.

This gear is way too expensive to have it operate like that. Everyone on this forum knows how I feel about the DF, and it's not very favorable, but what you have going on is not the DF, it's something else.

Paul

nenes

Take a breath, calm down and go back to the previous threads again. Steve Hendrix, for one and Don Libby for 2nd and Graham Welland, 3rd, all use this back/camera combo. Steve is a dealer rep, but very knowledgeable on this system. Don and Graham have 1000's of exposures with the system on 160 and 260 backs. All of them are telling you this is not normal behavior, in having that long a pause.

I have 1000's on a 160 and a few hundred on a 260, and I have never seen this type of behavior, ever.

You should get pretty much instant feedback, once you fire the shutter, and within 1 sec or .5 second you should hear the beep, telling you the back is free. You aren't going to get 5 frames per second on this camera, but you should not be waiting that long on the back, ever with a DF or DF+.

The back and DF are very tightly linked with firmware and if one is out of sync then this can happen.

Do you have a value add warranty or just base warranty on the 160? If Value Add this should be a free call to any Phase One dealer, and if out of warranty, getting the back and DF back in sync should not be a lot.

There are a lot of things that could be causing this, but note, it's not normal and more than likely if you got a "new" camera body, you would have the same problems.

This gear is way too expensive to have it operate like that. Everyone on this forum knows how I feel about the DF, and it's not very favorable, but what you have going on is not the DF, it's something else.

Paul
EVERY BODY KNOWS THAT EACH DAY IS DIFFERENT IN PHASEONE SYSTEMS....IT DEPENS IN A LOT OF THINGS.....ONE DAY IS THE C1 NEW UPDATE THAT GETS CRAZY YOUR COMPUTER ....THE OTHER DAY THE TETHERING SESSION IS UNSTABLE.... THE OTHER DAY THE DB JUST DO NOT RECONICE THE CAMERA... THE OTHER DAY THE CAMERA JUST REMAINS IN A DARK FRAME .... THE OTHER DAY YOU HAVE TO TURN OFF AND ON THE SYSTEM BECAUSE EVERYTHING JUST DO NOT WORK....AND THIS IS THE WAY SOMEONE LIVES WITH PHASE ONE SYSTEM AND EACH INDIVIDUAL PERSON I KNOW KNOWS THAT...BUT IT DEPENDS ALSO IN HOW MANY PICTURES YOU SHOOT A DAY, IF YOU SHOOT LANDSCAPES IN A TRYPOD AND ANYTHING MOVES ARROUND IT IS FINE
, AND YOU ARE RIGHT , THIS GEAR IS TO EXPENSIVE TO WORK LIKE THAT AND I GET TIRED OF THAT.
AT THE END I OWN THIS GEAR BECAUSE Y PAY FOR IT AND I AM FREE TO TELL MY OPINION(i think i pay enought to express my opinion)AND I DO NOT NEED TO CALM DOWN BECAUSE I GET USED TO DEAL WITH THE MEDIUM FORMAT SYSTEMS PROBLEMS EACH AND EVERY DAY :clap: SO I ALREADY KNOW ITS UPS AND ITS DOWNS
AND at the endIT IS JUST GEAR so you better rent it and take the money for werever you like

Don Libby

First off using all cap when posting is the same as shouting which in itself really turns me off.

Second, I've been using medium format to capture my work for more years than I care to remember beginning with a Mamiya and a Phase One P30. Sorry however your last statement or rant (goes back to the shouting thing) hasn't been true for me. I've never once experienced a day when either my camera body or DB (P30, P45, P65 and now a IQ160) has been unstable. What I have found is that all my problems I've ever had with either the camera body (again beginning with Mamiya and now a DF) has been the direct result of user error - me. I can say the same for the DB. I also use a technical camera that I tether with the IQ and in the beginning I encountered problems that were all related to user inexperience and error; I've since corrected my problems non of which were the result of either the software, camera or DB and have been a happy camper.

I just spent several weeks in the Jackson Hole area where I spent daily, shooting 100's of a combination of landscape and wildlife ending up with an excess of over 200 GB of images. I'll say this - landscape on tripod is easy with medium format and I don't care if it's a tech cam or DF. The real sport is shooting/capturing wildlife with medium format. Try a herd of buffalo that wouldn't stand still. Or an elk running in a meadow; not to talk about osprey and eagles. Wildlife doesn't pose.

I get that you are frustrated/angry in general pissed off. I also agree with you that medium format is expensive. I'll say this one last time - you really need to contact your dealer instead of pissing and moaning about how bad your gear is as I think there's a problem that just might be fixable.

I wish you all the luck in fixing the problem; in the end medium format isn't for everyone.