The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who's getting a 645Z?

tsjanik

There are several posters on this thread who use a 645D and I'm curious who among them or new users of Pentax plan on getting a 645Z. I'm torn between getting an A7r (and lenses) vs. a 645Z. The high ISO capabilities of the Z will solve vibration problems I have with slow shutter speeds on the D using long focal lengths. On the other hand, I could invest in the Sony and have a camera I could use everywhere without lugging the mass of the 645.
I could get both, but aside from the fact that my wife would kill me, I'm better off using one system. Thoughts?

Zerimar

If the high ISO is really that much of a selling point then it's a seemingly worthy investment. However, the A7r is quite an incredible camera as well, and your wife would most likely be happier with you if you bought a cheaper camera.

Shashin

The a7R is so small, you could probably convince your wife it is not very expensive at all!

I thought you had a K3 or something? Isn't that your "small" camera. Besides, if you get lenses for the a7r, it might be a small camera, but the bulk of the lenses will not make it small.

Personally, I do not do my best work with a "take everywhere camera." When I really work, I grab the camera I most enjoy using that gives me the images I like. The idea of always having a small convenient camera never matches the reality. YMMV.

The other thing that I find difficult is the 3:2 aspect ratio. I just have a hard time with it--not quite wide enough for landscape, but too tall for portrait. There again, YMMV.

Of course, it might help us if we knew what position you wanted to be convinced of. ;)

tsjanik

The a7R is so small, you could probably convince your wife it is not very expensive at all!
Won't work.

I thought you had a K3 or something? Isn't that your "small" camera. Besides, if you get lenses for the a7r, it might be a small camera, but the bulk of the lenses will not make it small.
I do have a K3, but I always wish I was using the 645D instead.

Personally, I do not do my best work with a "take everywhere camera." When I really work, I grab the camera I most enjoy using that gives me the images I like. The idea of always having a small convenient camera never matches the reality. YMMV.
I agree, hence I use the D.

The other thing that I find difficult is the 3:2 aspect ratio. I just have a hard time with it--not quite wide enough for landscape, but too tall for portrait. There again, YMMV.
Agree

Of course, it might help us if we knew what position you wanted to be convinced of. ;)
See above:)

kdphotography

There's only one solution here, Tom, and you know the answer already. You need both the Pentax 645Z and the Sony A7r. :D

I'm looking at adding the Sony A7r to my kit, and trying my best to stay with only the stellar 55mm lens. It's a lot easier to justify when your better half is a shutter bug also. ;)

Sell the 645D to fund the A7r. Get the 645Z if for nothing other than life is short and you deserve it.

ken :)

I've used a friend's a7R for a while, and although it does have the convenience and feel of being a small, "go anywhere" camera, I was somewhat disappointed with my early results, because it tricks you into a false sense of security when it comes to shooting technique. With something like the 645Z there shouldn't be any ambiguity about how the camera needs to be handled to get the best results out of it.

I don't think the a7R is any more street/people friendly either, just because of how loud it is, tried some candids while on the metro and typically got only a few shots off before people started looking for the source of the clacking.

tsjanik

There's only one solution here, Tom, and you know the answer already. You need both the Pentax 645Z and the Sony A7r. :D

I'm looking at adding the Sony A7r to my kit, and trying my best to stay with only the stellar 55mm lens. It's a lot easier to justify when your better half is a shutter bug also. ;)

Sell the 645D to fund the A7r. Get the 645Z if for nothing other than life is short and you deserve it.

ken :)
:thumbs: LOL. Not sure about the deserve part, but life is short. A friend of mine once said "Once you turn fifty, you don't have to justify a purchase anymore, you just have to be able to afford it". I used that when I bought the 645D :D

tsjanik

I don't think the a7R is any more street/people friendly either, just because of how loud it is, tried some candids while on the metro and typically got only a few shots off before people started looking for the source of the clacking.
I hesitate with the A7r; despite the praise, some comments like yours indicate it's not quite out of the beta stage. If I wait a few months, Sony will have new camera that addresses some of the issues :ROTFL:

I hesitate with the A7r; despite the praise, some comments like yours indicate it's not quite out of the beta stage. If I wait a few months, Sony will have new camera that addresses some of the issues :ROTFL:
You're right, my observation is that it's a franken-cam of good idea features in a very beta body, it needs more work to feel whole. I loved the depth and detail of the shots that I shot using the 35mm FE, but the camera felt awkward to use at times, maybe I just needed to use it with a grip to fit my spatula hands, I dunno... In any case, it did prove to me that I really want a camera like it, or at least something similar.

iiiNelson

I'd say the A7r is out the beta stage but I think some people had unrealistic expectations from the camera based off speculation, excitement, and accolades. I have both the A7 and A7r. If street and speed are your priority then the A7 is a more versatile choice. If resolution is your primary concern than go with the A7r... or better yet the 645Z.

While a great camera in its own right, the A7r isn't MF anymore than a D800 is. If you want the ultimate all weather landscape camera then get the 645Z. If size and portability is your priority then the A7 cameras are a great buy at a great price. I use the A7 more often than not as my walk around camera and the A7 as my max resolution tripod camera because I don't have MF yet. The A7r is handhold able though with good shooting discipline. I regularly use Contax Zeiss 85, 100, 135, and 180mm lenses on both bodies with no issue provided I do my part.

The 35 and 55 are the only 2 native lenses I still own. I owned the 24-70 but I wasn't impressed with it for the price.It should be a sub-$1000 lens even with the Zeiss name on it.

Shashin

:thumbs: LOL. Not sure about the deserve part, but life is short.
And once you spend all your money on cameras, your spouse gets to decide how short that really is...

I would check the mail box over the next few weeks to see if a life insurance policy has been taken out in your name. Stay away from open windows on the second floor and roof gutters. Just a thought...

tsjanik

And once you spend all your money on cameras, your spouse gets to decide how short that really is...

I would check the mail box over the next few weeks to see if a life insurance policy has been taken out in your name. Stay away from open windows on the second floor and roof gutters. Just a thought...
No danger yet Will; I haven't ordered the camera - not yet anyway, I'm waiting for more user reports, but so far reports are excellent. I'm skeptical that there is much improvement in image quality over the 645D, but the ISO solves some slow shutter speed problems. It would still leave me with a wide angle issue. The 25mm is just too expensive and large to be ideal.

No danger yet Will; I haven't ordered the camera - not yet anyway, I'm waiting for more user reports, but so far reports are excellent. I'm skeptical that there is much improvement in image quality over the 645D, but the ISO solves some slow shutter speed problems. It would still leave me with a wide angle issue. The 25mm is just too expensive and large to be ideal.
The a7R won't be without problems too, you'll either have to risk using rangefinder lenses and getting corner shading and smearing, or adapting SLR lenses and have centering issues, all the good wide angles aren't exactly small either.

iiiNelson

The a7R won't be without problems too, you'll either have to risk using rangefinder lenses and getting corner shading and smearing, or adapting SLR lenses and have centering issues, all the good wide angles aren't exactly small either.
I don't have as many issues as some others have reported with adapting lenses but I will say this - some people put the absolute cheapest adapter (with shaky tolerances at the production level) on their camera. That's not to say an expensive adapter can't have flaws but it's a lot less likely to. I only use Novaflex and Voigtlander adapters myself. I've had great experiences with both. That seems to be a common trend as well among the people who use the premium adapters - not as much complaining.

laopai

There are several posters on this thread who use a 645D and I'm curious who among them or new users of Pentax plan on getting a 645Z. I'm torn between getting an A7r (and lenses) vs. a 645Z. The high ISO capabilities of the Z will solve vibration problems I have with slow shutter speeds on the D using long focal lengths. On the other hand, I could invest in the Sony and have a camera I could use everywhere without lugging the mass of the 645.
I could get both, but aside from the fact that my wife would kill me, I'm better off using one system. Thoughts?
I've had an A7r for over 8 months now. The reason that I purchased A7r WAS to see if it could replace my 645D. In my original thought, A7r could be better with its CMOS sensor and high ISO capability and liveview and peak focus and etc. And most importantly, it could take all my beloved Contax Zeiss lenses.

Now, 8 months later, I still have my 645D. A7r is not a bad camera by any measure besides that loud shutter. I guess the primary reason that I haven't fallen in love with it is that I still don't know how to handle it. Whenever I hold the A7r, my mind just refuse to treat it like a MF camera. So you know the results.

On the other hand, whenever I put my hands on the 645D, instantly I realize that I need a tripod, a shutter release cable, mirror-up, GND filters, etc. And the outcome rarely disappoints me.

I guess the real challenge with A7r is that we MUST treat it and use it as a MF camera. Once over that bump, A7r could be a very good replacement for the aging 645D.

Eventually I probably will sell 645D and buy a 645Z. 645Z and A7r could be a wonderful 1-2 punch for any landscape shooters.

Just my $0.02.

G43

I was with Ming Thein in London and saw him shooting with his 645Z. He shot 100% handheld and files even up to 12800 looked awesome. At lower ISO, yes even more awesome. The camera/sensor shows the best ever tonal latitude I've seen.
It is a monster with those SDM lenses, but given the format I think it's not a big hurdle for general heavy DSLR users.
Ming mentioned the keeper rate is higher vs. his D800E because you think MF with this camera regardless its FF DSLR way of working.
I saw his super prints that took the breath out of me. The slightly higher resolution from the 50 MP sensor vs Sony's 36 MP allows a bit larger prints... but again.. the tonal range is wiping the floor under FF.

Chris Giles

As a H4D50 user and enjoyer I'm excited to try one.

It's something I would buy if I liked it but I'd have to try it for a week before committing. I know of no such way of doing so and therefore I won't be buying.