The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quick FPS/Canon lens question

gerald.d

Does anyone know whether the image stabilisation in Canon lenses works when mounted on an FPS, or does it need a Canon body?

(yes - I know I should have checked this myself!)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

f8orbust

Not quite in the same league as Alpa, but the 'Metabones' website says (in relation to a Canon IS lens on a Sony body) that as long as power is reaching the Canon IS lens, it should work.

Jim

gerald.d

Thanks Jim

Interestingly, it doesn't appear to work. I've been testing it on the 200-400, but even in mode 3 I can't see or hear any evidence of it kicking in.

I think it may be because the lens is relying on a half-shutter press for the IS to kick in, and the FPS doesn't appear to be able to replicate that. Either that or insufficient power is being supplied.

I'll ask the guys at ALPA about it and see what they say.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

f8orbust

Yes, that's curious. I once shot with the Canon 70-200 f4 IS, and if memory serves me correctly IS kicked in with the AF, via the half-button press. Maybe there's not enough power to drive the IS gizmos ?