Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Goodbye digital back, Hello analog film (for now)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goodbye digital back, Hello analog film (for now)

I forgot to mention Acros' almost total lack of reciprocity failure.

No compensation is required at exposures up to 120 seconds, and only +1/2 stop up to 1,000 seconds.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Now, this website seems to be a bit "Plustek unfriendly", but the Braun does get a very positive review:
    Yes indeed , this german site got something stuck in the throat when reviewing the Plustek OpticFilm 120. They stated that OF120 is slow and this is a problem with Silverfast on PC not a feature of the OF 120. I have a Mac Mini (4core ) and it is fast as a storm breeze(so just pair it with a mac). Then i measured the resolution and got really higher performance than the quoted site, they probably had a mis aligned sample from the first production batch. In my opinion the Plustek OpticFilm 120 is the gold standard for home scanning. I would not buy a Braun or Pacific or Reflecta or fork out for a Hasselblad.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been experimenting with the most unfriendly film and also one of the most amazing films around for 4x5 : Rollei ATO 2.1 (advanced technical ortho).
    It needs special low contrast development like Kodak TechPan.
    I bought quite many sheets of this superfilm from Macodirect and now they are Out of stock

Edit: Grain - not to be found !!!

Post Thanks / Like

MartinN
    That was impressive result with the Plustek 120!

What made a substantial differens with my Epson 700 was the use of film holders that I could adjust the height of.
    It is a bit of a lottery when the Scanner don’t have a autofocus system!
    So I am happy with the Epson 700 för 4X5 or bigger, there it is no problem to print big from those scans.

But it is from 6X6 and up, I want a bit more detail. And it is there I am a bit suspicious about the Plustek scanner because it is not autofocus.
    That means that I am back in the lottery department regarding the individual exemplar I get of the scanner!

The info about the Braun scanner was new to me. Thanks Jorgen
    I did like the fact that it had auto focus!
    But as always, I need to do a little bit more investigation regarding scanners.

But interesting things happens with multi-scanning.
    One way is to: Scan, tap the scanner lightly, rescan, and then use PTgui to combine scans for higher resolutions.
    The simple test I made got me better result than multipas in the scanner. But I will do more tests.

Film, it is like paper for your ink printer
    You can work with them all and drive your self crazy, or stick with a few and really learn them.

I mostly use Porta 160 and 400 + Ektar for medium format and 4X5 for C41
    Regarding E6 I am still testing what I will stick with.
    I dont shoot much black and white. But I have a lot of Shanghai 100iso B/W film from 120 to 8X10. and maybe 800 sheets go 8X10 X-ray film…

I will put up some film example later. This is the last of my 4 week here on the island.
    And it been the worst 4 weeks in the last 11 years I been here
    Not ONE really good sunset. Lots of heavy clouds and rain in the west that blocks the sun. But next year…

Soon it is time to go visit Söderåsen nature reserve and the beech forest there in the fall!!!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

+"What made a substantial differens with my Epson 700 was the use of film holders that I could adjust the height of."
    I found the same improvement with aftermarket film holders. To my eye, there wasn't a major difference between scanning 6 x 6 with the Epson or my Nikon 9000ED.

Steve

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can recommend the BetterScanning holders. Easy to set up and adjust as needed with the Epson V750 (or V700):

Custom film holders for Agfa, Microtek, Canon and Epson film scanners.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    That means that I am back in the lottery department regarding the individual exemplar I get of the scanner!
    Yes, I was optimistic or completely MAD to be one of the first persons to buy an Opticfilm 120 in Europe. But I was lucky and my suspicions went away after I had confirmed my scanner to provide at least 4000dpi of resolution.

The problem with autofocus is that you have to set it once and it can't anyhow follow a curved film. I don't need it and am perfectly happy with fixed focus and set aperture.

And yes, I have the betterscanning holder for V700 and ANR glass, but the Nyquist theorem - 6400dpi scanning resolution can never quite reach more than 3200dpi of resolved detail. Anyhow !

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Graham, that is the holder I have and the ANR glass!
    I have the same experience that they are simple to adjust.

My simple workflow is to take a negativ of Shanghai developed in R09 under constant agitation = Grain!
    Then I scan and if I can not clearly see grain in the scan, then there is something wrong with the scanner/film holder.
    It has nothing to do with the camera or lenses or tripod or...

But that I should reach the promised resolution in my Epson V700, that I have never believed

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shanghai
    I got a few rolls of 120 Shanghai and was seriously disappointed with the coating of my films. They all had some 'blotchy' structure that was severe with overdevelopment and overexposure and almost acceptable otherwise but I decided not to use Chinese film anymore. I also got 5 rolls of 'Lucky' as a gift, but I should have known better than to beleive somebody giving avay something for free - They were all defect 120 rolls- no taping and the film was not coiling up uptake spool. Of course the were all completely useless.

Maybe I change my mind if nothing else is available in the future

Post Thanks / Like

I read a lot of negative comment about the Shanghai film brand.

But I have not really had any problem!
    Just some "pin point" loss of emulsions on a few rolls.
    But it is no more problem that cloning out dust on the film from the scanning!

I bought couple of hundreds roll of 120 film and maybe 150 sheets of 4x5 and a few packages of 8X10.
    And I bought it because it was cheap! Real cheap when I bought it. So for the price it works brilliant for me.
    It was little less than a US dollar at the time per roll!

But I also have a lot of old E6 film, like close to 10 years old, that work perfect for me.

I got more "hang up´s" about content than media or technical details.

So I really like old and cheap film

Ray