The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How well does the SK 47xl perform with the IQ180 back

malmac

I did a search and found an old tread which sort of deals with this but it was 2012.

I thought I might ask for an update on the question of how well does the IQ180 play with the 47xl.

Had a 35xl and was not happy with the extreme colour casts with that lens, so sold that. Don't want to repeat the buy then sell process.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mal

Steve Hendrix

I did a search and found an old tread which sort of deals with this but it was 2012.

I thought I might ask for an update on the question of how well does the IQ180 play with the 47xl.

Had a 35xl and was not happy with the extreme colour casts with that lens, so sold that. Don't want to repeat the buy then sell process.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mal

Mal -

You'll have a little more latitude with the 47mm, but similar issues. However, the deal breaker for me is I just don't feel the SK 47mm holds up well from a resolution standpoint to the 5.2pixel size of the IQ180. It can be found reasonably priced these days as a result, but I would much prefer a Rodenstock 40HR, or at least an SK 43mm lens (a sharper alternative to the SK 47).

The 43mm is also going to give you casts sooner than you might like, though. A lot sooner than the 40mm HR would, at any rate. Another more budget-friendly alternative to the SK47 would be a good copy of the Rodenstock 55mm APO Sironar.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Paul2660

I have not used the 47. But Steve's comments on the 43XL are right on. It was a great lens on 60 MP but when I used it on the 180 both the color cast and color/sat fall off we're pretty harsh after 10mm of shift. It was great on center.

You will love the 40mm Rodenstock, not sure what tech you are using. But that lens is one of the great ones. If you have the budget there is also the 32 Rodenstock, which probably the single best wide tech lens made. Just too expensive for me. Both if these will allow excellent rise fall or shifting.

Paul

goesbang

Mal,
To put it plainly, it is disappointing. It has a great big image circle but not enough resolution. Images are clearly lacking in resolution. You can see the difference without resorting to pixel peeping. The 47 is not up to par for the 80MP backs.

Cheers

dchew

I have not used the 47. But Steve's comments on the 43XL are right on. It was a great lens on 60 MP but when I used it on the 180 both the color cast and color/sat fall off we're pretty harsh after 10mm of shift. It was great on center.
Paul
I have not tried the 47xl, But had a similar experience with the 43xl. I really liked the lens up to 10 mm of shift. When Alpa introduced the option to shift with the 40hr I sold the 43 and bought the 40. As Paul says, the 40 is better in every regard except size and distortion.

Dave

satybhat

Mal, I tried the 43 and the 47XL and was thoroughly convinced of the superiority of the 40 HR. In these leagues, my advice would be to buy once and for all and be done with it.
Given a 2nd chance, I would have gone for the 40 HR again. Hope that helps.

kdphotography

Mal,

The 40HR t/s on Cambo with IQ180 is my favorite lens. No disappointments at all---it's worth it. It's reputation is well-deserved. The lens presents no real challenges and is just simply easy and a joy to use. I shoot an LCC frame religiously in my tech cam workflow; I use that LCC frame in post by habit but truth be known you could probably skip it for all but the larger movements. The HR40 and IQ180 are simply that good together.

:) ken

f8orbust

There's no getting away from the fact that, on the current 80MP backs, retro-focus designed lenses perform better wrt shifting. That's just the way it is.

In terms of the other variables - sharpness, color rendition, bokeh, flare, weight, cost etc. - it's less clear cut.

There's little between them in terms of resolution/sharpness. In the real-world images I've seen I'd give it to the R/S, but only just, and in all real-world applications, with appropriate sharpening, the difference is negligible. (In terms of the MTF charts, the R/S looks superior - but the horizontal scale R/S use is to 45mm, whereas the S/K scale is to 100mm, so the differences naturally look dramatic). As far as color and bokeh are concerned: the R/S renders punchier color, the S/K is more restrained. I prefer the S/K. In terms of Bokeh - no question - the symmetrical design of the S/K is superior and leads to nicer rendering of out of focus highlights. Flare? Retrofocus designs are more susceptible. Weight? The S/Ks are lighter. Cost? The S/Ks are more economical due to their design (fewer glass elements - however, if cost is measured per lens element, this makes them considerably more expensive than the R/Ss).

Someone once described the differences as akin to the differences between a high-end digital audio setup (R/S), and a high-end analogue audio setup (S/K). In terms of a practical approach to differentiating between them, I think that's about right.

Jim

P.S. As an aside: We'll never see a new consumer-grade MF CCD DB again. Even R/S's current W/As have been shown wanting with the largish CMOS sensor in the IQ250, so I get a feeling that for a new generation of even larger ('full-frame') CMOS sensors, we'll see a new range of even more expensive retro-focus W/A lenses from R/S.

Paul2660

From what I read and now seen in person with the A7r, the problem with CMOS Is crosstalk/loss of saturation on shifts. Not sure if a new line of Rodenstock or Schenider lenses can effect this unless they design a lens that is further out from the sensor The amount of saturation loss with extreme shifts using an Arca M2 is pretty extreme. I think this also correlates to the IQ250 sensor.

It will be most interesting to see what Phase comes out with in the future with CMOS and if they can figured out a design that will allow shifting without such extreme saturation loss on movements.

Paul