Site Sponsors

Thread: Singh Ray vario ND and vignetting?

Post Thanks / Like

Singh Ray vario ND and vignetting?

I have recently moved back to MF. Recently I have stopped using my ND grads in favor of digital blending. I do need to get an ND filter for some of my landscape work to control exposure. Does anyone have experience with the Singh Ray Vario ND or Vario Duo DN/polarizer on Mamiya lenses in 77mm mount? Specifically, does it cause vignetting on the 35mm AFD lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Singh Ray vario ND and vignetting?

Hi Scott,

I've had the Singh Ray Vario N Duo for a couple weeks and have been too busy to try it out. I just put it on when I saw your thread! The filter feels as thick as a brick...measuring about 3/4" thick!

To a large degree, vignetting will depend on the MFDB that you are using because of the crop and size of the sensor. (It is for this reason that I believe the P30/P30+ remains in that "sweet" spot as a great MFDB, using great lenses, not worrying about softness in the corners, and just enough high resolution for everything...)

I tried the Vari N Duo on a Mamiya 35mm and Phase 645 with P45+. I'm not using the viewfinder mask. I could detect just a hint of a vignette in the corners, but that could just be my finger on the edge of the lens....

Just a quick down and dirty....but it may give you an idea. With the P30, I doubt you'd see any vignetting.... I'd be hesitant with the P65+

The Singh Ray Vari N Duo is a nice filter, but I won't be getting rid of my array of ND filters.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ken

dwdmguy

No problem here whatsoever, MFDB and/or D700, The duo is an amazing filter. Not that many applications but when one does arrive it's the best tool to reach for.

LEAVING THE PLAYGROUND a 6 second exposure.