The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Singh Ray vario ND and vignetting?

smhoer

I have recently moved back to MF. Recently I have stopped using my ND grads in favor of digital blending. I do need to get an ND filter for some of my landscape work to control exposure. Does anyone have experience with the Singh Ray Vario ND or Vario Duo DN/polarizer on Mamiya lenses in 77mm mount? Specifically, does it cause vignetting on the 35mm AFD lens?

kdphotography

Hi Scott,

I've had the Singh Ray Vario N Duo for a couple weeks and have been too busy to try it out. I just put it on when I saw your thread! The filter feels as thick as a brick...measuring about 3/4" thick!

To a large degree, vignetting will depend on the MFDB that you are using because of the crop and size of the sensor. (It is for this reason that I believe the P30/P30+ remains in that "sweet" spot as a great MFDB, using great lenses, not worrying about softness in the corners, and just enough high resolution for everything...)

I tried the Vari N Duo on a Mamiya 35mm and Phase 645 with P45+. I'm not using the viewfinder mask. I could detect just a hint of a vignette in the corners, but that could just be my finger on the edge of the lens.... :p

Just a quick down and dirty....but it may give you an idea. With the P30, I doubt you'd see any vignetting.... I'd be hesitant with the P65+

The Singh Ray Vari N Duo is a nice filter, but I won't be getting rid of my array of ND filters.....

D

dwdmguy

No problem here whatsoever, MFDB and/or D700, The duo is an amazing filter. Not that many applications but when one does arrive it's the best tool to reach for.

LEAVING THE PLAYGROUND a 6 second exposure.