Site Sponsors

Thread: Cleaning the rubber parts of the camera

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning the rubber parts of the camera

Hello Guys,
    i know this is not a special Medium format issue but i have this at my camera. And i what a clean camera because this is not only a lifeless tool for me. I like clean and good equipment. After some years the rubber parts of camera and lenses gets white. This is something like a white film over every rubber parts.

Do you have a good cleaning method do remove this. I know rubber contains wax and this is pouring of. But most cameras have a leather like surface and in the small grooves the white "film" is very hard to remove.

Do you use some cleaning chemicals? Some special coth?

Thank you. best regards
    mueller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Cleaning the rubber parts of the camera

I would start with de-natured alcohol. The white material may also be a bit of rubber breaking down over time.

Once cleaned, you might need to coat the rubber with one of the commercial coatings for automotive needs, Armorall or a similar product. But use a very small coating. Spray the coating on a soft cloth and then apply to the rubber parts showing the issues.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning the rubber parts of the camera

HI,
    i have heard, that Amorall with silicone in it is not ideal. Especially for the lens system.