The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV-50c !!

ErikKaffehr

Last time I checked on Phase One web site it actually said IQ-250 is 14 bits, more or less.

IQ2 series digital backs | Specifications

Best regards
Erik
three reasons why hass and P1 priced higher

the iq250 and Hasselblad 50c has 16bit color, but pentax only offer 14bit file.

iq250 and hass are modular backs, meaning they can be adapt to any tech cameras. for the pentax 645z, because of the body added flange distance, rear tilt is limited, could be a big problem when you try to adjust DOF with rear tilt

and the last reason of course, you pay a bit for the brand.

tjv

Usb was slow to arrive on the IQs for sure. What feature on the CFV50C are you referring to?
I'm assuming he's referring to on back live view and if it's possible to implement via a firmware update. Certainly, I wouldn't buy until it's working. But man, if they deliver..!

Last edited:

tjv

Exactly. I believe it when its here.
I've not read any promises made by Hasselblad themselves, just the hint above from Nick T. I won't hold my breath, but that doesn't mean I haven't got my fingers crossed. I'd love to use this back on my Linhof Techno with live view and do away with the need for a sliding back.

Geoff

Will wide angles (say 47 and wider) and shifts work well with this back? Regardless, kudos to HB for attending to their V cameras. Nicely done.

Last edited:

Nick-T

My point exactly! Hasselblad have not made any promises about Live View so I fail to see the comparison between the IQ USB3 announcement.

I was going to tell you all something you wanted to hear but since the atmosphere seems still quite hostile towards Hasselblad I'll keep it to myself :)

f8orbust

I was going to tell you all something you wanted to hear but since the atmosphere seems still quite hostile towards Hasselblad I'll keep it to myself :)
How do you know we wanted to hear it if we don't know what it is ? ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think there is any great hostility here*.

What HB are doing with the CFV-50c is to be applauded; hopefully the aggressive pricing will have the effect that it should - i.e. be beneficial to the long term health of the segment, and us along with it (regardless of what we shoot).

Jim

*Of course, if you just dropped $35k on an IQ250, you probably have every right to look for some place to vent your spleen.

fotografz

My point exactly! Hasselblad have not made any promises about Live View so I fail to see the comparison between the IQ USB3 announcement.

Nick, don't listen to the detractors … at least Hasselblad is trying, and this CFV back is a darned good indication that the flubbed attempt to raise more operating capital hasn't stopped them from making products for serious photographers.

Good to see them back on track.

- Marc

cerett

Nick - I have an H5D-50C. Live view on the back would bring tears to my eyes. Is this on the immediate horizon?

tjv

No hostility from me, only enthusiasm for the products they DO offer.
Amazing Flextight scanners – of which I have bought 2.
The best modular DMF camera body on the market – IMHO, of course.
This great new CFV back, which I very much intend to buy IF if works well with Rodenstock's 32HR using movements AND firmware is upgraded to have on back live view. Even if it isn't though, I'm really happy V system users have the option of this new back. It's a great sign that Hasselblad are listening to their customers and committed to delivering great products.

tjv

Mate, if they can enable live view in the H5d-50c they'd be a few people who aggressively bagged 'Blad about being horribly behind Phase with egg on their faces. How much more is an IQ250 than the H5D-50c?

tjv

Is it true that Zeiss once approached Hasselblad with a full working design for how to make auto focus V lenses and bodies and that 'Blad turned them down? I read that a while back but can't remember where. Imagine if they had of said yes...

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
A non-square sensor on a V body isn't very interesting - the form factor assumes a square format - it will be quite awkward to use in portrait orientation. The "square" option with the back will be a 33x33mm crop - on a system designed for 60x60.

Yawn. This is why Hasselblad hasn't done this before now.

jlm

Workshop Member
rectangular is actually not so great a problem on the SWC, which does not have a viewfinder. of course one would want live view...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A non-square sensor on a V body isn't very interesting - the form factor assumes a square format - it will be quite awkward to use in portrait orientation. The "square" option with the back will be a 33x33mm crop - on a system designed for 60x60.

Yawn. This is why Hasselblad hasn't done this before now.
I find quite the contrary. Composing a vertical portrait on a 500 with a waist level viewfinder and a vertically mounted back (only possible with Phase/Leaf backs, not the Hassy-brand CFV backs) or with the sensor rotated within the back (only possible with Leaf Aptus II backs) to be one of the best experiences possible for vertical shooting.

You hold the camera *exactly* as you do for horizontal shooting, and simply use the vertical-rectangle in the cross-style mask.

I find that preferable even to shooting systems like Canon 1Dx or Nikon D4 or DF+ with VGrip which have a provision to turn the camera 90 degrees with sort-of-seamless continuity of tools. Because no matter how good the vertical grip it always seems to me to be secondary to the horizontal orientation in ergonomics.

Mammy645

It's kinda mind-boggling that Hasselbad never made their CFV backs with a rotating sensor, it seems like such an obvious thing to do. Also, the external battery protruding underneath always bugged me, it ruins the aesthetics of the camera and it prevents it from sitting flat when you put it down. Hasselblad knows this, which is why they never show the backs with a battery inserted in the product shots.