The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase 645DF+ focus adjustment

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Can an owner of a DF+ please confirm that the autofocus of the DF+ is adjustable for each lens you use on it?

And that when you have dialled in the adjustment, the camera will apply it when that lens is once more mounted on the camera? In other words the same as my Sony cameras do, or Canikon?

(I have a DF but not all lenses autofocus critically accurately, although this is seldom a major issue as I tend to shoot mostly at f11 for DOF.)

Any input appreciated!

alajuela

Can an owner of a DF+ please confirm that the autofocus of the DF+ is adjustable for each lens you use on it?

And that when you have dialled in the adjustment, the camera will apply it when that lens is once more mounted on the camera? In other words the same as my Sony cameras do, or Canikon?

(I have a DF but not all lenses autofocus critically accurately, although this is seldom a major issue as I tend to shoot mostly at f11 for DOF.)

Any input appreciated!
Hi Bill

My understanding is the focus adjustment is global, does not have the option to be lens specific, like Canon. You would have make a note and adjust manually for a specific lens, then neutral it out if you change to lens that does not need an adjustment.

Phil

Hi Bill,
rumoured successor? Should there something in the pipline?
With my lastest infos from Denmark- There is nothing.... :-(
Mueller

Don Libby

Bill, I've always figured the best way for Phase to release the new camera is for me to upgrade from the DF to the DF+ then it'll be released with in 24-hours.....

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I was told by a Phase insider a couple of years ago that there was a new camera on the drawing board so if you go ahead, Don, I'm sure, as you say, production will start!

malmac

People payout on Hasselblad for their cosmic style camera names but I think the so called new Phase One camera could be called the "Black Hole".

Well at least that seems to be where it has gone.

Mal
Phase One owner.

Don Libby

As much as I'd like to see it, I'll believe it when it actually gets here. I also don't have a doubt that it's coming however I'd like it to get here sooner than later.

As far as me going to a DF+ that'll only happen if something goes wrong with the DF as I've now feel I know all it's quirks and know how to work around them.

Steve Hendrix

People payout on Hasselblad for their cosmic style camera names but I think the so called new Phase One camera could be called the "Black Hole".

Well at least that seems to be where it has gone.

Mal
Phase One owner.

I for one, am fine with Phase One taking their sweet time.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

malmac

I for one, am fine with Phase One taking their sweet time.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve

You may be happy about the "sweet time" that Phase One is taking but I for one feel mislead and I don't seem to be the only one who feels this way.

I had a choice of buying a HD60 or a P65+.

My dealer said basically, you might like the H camera body better than the Phase camera body, but when the new camera body comes out you will be able to put your back straight onto the new body.

I probably made the assumption, if it was not clearly stated, that the new body would come out in a year or so from that time.

Well the "sweet time" has more than gone by in my mind - so it might not bother you, but I can think of much less sugary expressions to describe the time that is passing.

Mal

gazwas

My dealer said basically, you might like the H camera body better than the Phase camera body, but when the new camera body comes out you will be able to put your back straight onto the new body.

I probably made the assumption, if it was not clearly stated, that the new body would come out in a year or so from that time.
Exactly how it was for me when deciding either H4D-50 or P65+. The dealers I spoke to were all saying pretty much the same thing without giving any specifics as to the new cameras release date when I expressed my appreciation of the Hasselblad body over the DF. The way they were talking is the camera was real and coming soon.

All turned out to be sales BS.

I just hope Phase do the big reveal at Photokina this September however I get the feeling the most we'll get is Capture One 8.

Steve Hendrix

Steve

You may be happy about the "sweet time" that Phase One is taking but I for one feel mislead and I don't seem to be the only one who feels this way.

Well the "sweet time" has more than gone by in my mind - so it might not bother you, but I can think of much less sugary expressions to describe the time that is passing.

Mal

I completely understand if a dealer looks you in the eye and tells you not to buy because a new camera is coming on x date and that camera doesn't show up. And if a dealer tells you specifics without knowing any, shame on them. Dealers do have the obligation to warn you that a new camera may be coming if they think there is a possibility, IMO. But Phase One has never told any dealer that a new camera is coming on X date. They've only disclosed they're working on a camera with no exact release date yet.

And it's not as simple as - Hey a new camera is coming, so you'll want that one.

That's another assumption. Who's to say you'll want the new camera? You don't know any of the features, you don't know any of the limitations, you don't know any of the bugs, you don't even know the pricing.

Sometimes you do have to make choices - to buy what is here, or to wait. It's not always clear - to anyone - what the correct decision is.

What I mean by me being ok with Phase One taking their time only has to do with them releasing a product when it is good and ready from the following standpoints:

- operationally reliable, with a minimum of bugs, errors, etc.
- product fulfills the potential of what they can produce, rather than unnecessarily shorting the production cycle and eliminating features or advances

Aside from that....I want it yesterday!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

malmac

Steve

I do understand your point of view and nothing in this is personal against you.

I made some assumptions and worked on a best case scenario, which has not worked out. The reality is that the longer it takes for Phase One to bring out a camera the higher the chance is that I won't buy one.

Why some might ask.

Well first off the generational difference between the IQ180 and any Phase One camera might be so great that many of the camera features might only work with and IQ350 or IQ480 or what ever is current at that time.

Secondly alternative camera systems might be more attractive at the time, so I might prefer to spend money in another way.

So where I was hot to trot a year or so ago, now I am more reserved and will just wait and see.

Regards

Mal

Steve Hendrix

Steve

I made some assumptions and worked on a best case scenario, which has not worked out. The reality is that the longer it takes for Phase One to bring out a camera the higher the chance is that I won't buy one.

Why some might ask.

Well first off the generational difference between the IQ180 and any Phase One camera might be so great that many of the camera features might only work with and IQ350 or IQ480 or what ever is current at that time.

Secondly alternative camera systems might be more attractive at the time, so I might prefer to spend money in another way.

So where I was hot to trot a year or so ago, now I am more reserved and will just wait and see.

Regards

Mal

Mal, your thinking makes total sense.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

steve_cor

One of the things we want is not to use the focal plane shutter while using leaf shutter lenses. But a new camera would have to allow the use of a focal plane shutter for the other lenses. How to do that?

I think they could create a combination light baffle and mirror assembly. When the mirror is down, the light baffle would seal out all light from the sensor. When taking a picture, the light baffle and mirror assembly would spring up together. Then the focal plane shutter wouldn't be needed for leaf shutter lenses, and would be locked open. But it could still be used for non-leaf shutter lenses, and the light baffle wouldn't hurt.

Does this idea make sense?

--Steve.

MILESF

Steve

Why some might ask.

Regards

Mal
Mal, I'm with you on this. There was a time when I hoped there would be a D4X from Nikon (bigger sensor with D3/4 form factor) but now I'm not sure I would be interested if, hypothetically, such a camera were to be announced at Photokina. There are times that are right for a particular product but they don't last for ever.

I bought into Phase One in 2009. Over time I have also bought a technical camera and a Nikon D800 and am finding the Phase One camera and lenses being used less and less. It wouldn't be sensible to buy anything more from Phase at least until there is a clear direction for a new body. With the Rodenstock 23 and 32mm lenses on the Arca and the Zeiss 15mm on the D800E then do I really need the 645DF and 28m lens anymore ? It's a nice dilemma to have of course and selling them might just be followed by the announcement of a new camera. So my answer to myself is "not for the time being".

The Phase One CEO talked a while back and in general terms on a LuLa video about a new body being in the works. They also make a big point of protecting their customers' investment and now seem to have a policy of only making announcements when products are ready to ship. Somewhat contradictory perhaps.

The availability of the Sony CMOS sensor to multiple manufacturers may be changing the shape of the MF segment and of its profit pool too. How do Phase react if any of the other major players come into this segment? Yes it is a small market but high barriers to entry have meant good margins for those, principally Phase, that have got it right. H who once owned the segment have been driven close to the edge if not yet over it for getting things wrong. Pentax has introduced a new price point which seems to be encouraging people to trade up from 35mm. Fuji have a long history in MF and have won many admirers for their X series. Somebody, somewhere might just be interested in exploiting any Phase One weaknesses and disrupting them.

If Phase don't announce a new camera at Photokina it will be because they think they have good reasons not to. But surely a year or so after their CEO confirms publicly that they have a new body under development they cannot simply say nothing without damaging the trust they have built up with their customers over the last decade or so. "Trust us" only lasts so long.

In my time in the electronics industry we regularly shared 2-3 year product roadmaps with major customers. The situation here is somewhat different but I don't think it is people breaking NDAs that is behind the widespread rumours surrounding new products before they are launched. It's often part of a deliberate process of creating awareness and interest in the market place. Sometimes pre-announcing a product ahead of its availability makes good commercial sense if it gets people to hold off buying from a competitor AND if you know when you are going to be able to deliver.

Phase One has been my system of choice for the last five or so years but now languish less and less used and a little unloved. Perhaps it's just me but I suspect not. The time is surely coming for Phase at least to say something to their customers who have made a long term commitment to their product and platform ? Preferably openly and not anonymously feeding the rumour mills.

When industry structures change, silence from the market leader can be a sign not of confidence but of hubris.

Last edited:

malmac

Miles

I accept that I am but one small potential customer for Phase One - so they won't be making decisions based on my preferences or otherwise.

My wife bought an Sony A7R - what a terrific camera, but not for me - however it really has shown me that I would like a 40ish Mp DSLR that will complement the IQ180.
The problem is I have a lot of high end Canon lenses and would like to see if Canon will ever bother matching the D800 in terms of resolution.

Canon like Phase One seem to be sitting on their hands or maybe just leaving the growth of new customers to Nikon, Sony and Pentax.

I now leave my "Phase One" T shirt in the draw and wear one with a large question mark on it.

Mal

Hi guys,

i had the opportunity to test Hasselblad H and Phase One cameras. In my opinion the Hasselblad cameras are more modern than the Phase One. The pixel display with words of the functions and the display in the finder. More modern like the coded custom functions of Phase.

I have heard, that Phase helped Hasselblad in the electronic questions with the H system in the early years. At this time Phase was only a Digital Back company.
This means to me that they have the know how to do is better than the old Mamiya camera housing...

Come on Phase One!! We want to see that you are the best company we want to spend our money!!!! :)
Show us some goodies of your new camera!! Only for foretasting...

mueller