The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format for Wildlife Photography

Don Libby

Hi Andy, read the blog and found it close to what my thinking has been. I've just begun adding "wildlife" to what we do seeing as we are spending about 6-months off and on in the Jackson Hole area. While I'll always be a landscape photographer the recent addition of the 240 and 2x has made me rethink wildlife with medium format.

Thanks!

Don

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Great blog, Andy - matches my views! (therefore you must be right!):)

And I love the SK 240....

When are we going to shoot together again?

Bill

GregMO

Medium format can be a great way to capture wildlife. If you haven't, check out Nick Brandt's African wildlife work. Done in 6x7 and wider lenses, he creates a very intimate relationship with the animals.

D&A

Andy, nice write - up and mirrors my experience shooting wildlife with medium format. For years I used Pentax 67 but 645 I found was far more flexible and easy to deal with. When thr Pentax 645D digital medium format came along, I made thr transition. Although there are advantages of shooting certain types of wildlife with 35mm, I found with careful planning and deliberation, medium format for shooting wildlife has its advantages.

Dave (D&A)

For me it comes down to fulfilling the adjectives that I have in the back of my head, and ultimately fast action / predation / mating don't fulfill those adjectives and thus I rarely need camera systems with high frames per second and long long long lenses. I do bring them, but I find that I use them less and less, in favor of digital medium format.

mmbma

This got me thinking. I never explored wildlife with medium format before because of the weight/sensitive gear. i ought to give it a try!

stngoldberg

I tried MF for wildlife, but found I missed too many opportunities because of inability to compose properly due to focal length or not enough shutter speed on my Hasselblad lenses. I did get a few that I was pleased with but was frustrated with the missed opportunities.
For me the best tool for the wildlife job is the Nikon D800E with an array of long lenses
Stanley

cerett

I tried MF for wildlife, but found I missed too many opportunities because of inability to compose properly due to focal length or not enough shutter speed on my Hasselblad lenses. I did get a few that I was pleased with but was frustrated with the missed opportunities.
For me the best tool for the wildlife job is the Nikon D800E with an array of long lenses
Stanley
Totally agree. Medium format is not very practical and adds nothing other than larger files and an opportunity to miss a number of great captures.

D&A

This got me thinking. I never explored wildlife with medium format before because of the weight/sensitive gear. i ought to give it a try!
You should! Like a great many things, it doesn't work for everyone that tries it nor is it for every wildlife capture type of application, but when the conditions and shooting elements are right as well as subject matter, I believe the advantages over 35mm can readily be identified. Again in my opinion, it's something more than just a larger file over a smaller format.

Dave (D&A)