The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V body question

arionelli

The old S-Planar 120/5.6 actually outperforms the Makro-Planar 120/4 at close-up distances.
I agree with your comment as I went through this 6-7 years ago, owning and using both a CFi/4 and C/5.6...on paper the MTF favours the C close up, agreed, but I ended up selling the C and still use the CFi. Reasons? I couldn't see the difference practically in my slides; the extra stop of light was a bonus and even more so the better depth of field seperation wide open; then there is the capacity for higher flare supression and contrast in strong light from internal flare improvements; lastly, newer improved parts and ergonomics. I think I've made previous comments that Zeiss is on record as stating that (at the time) the 120 makro planar has better colour correction than most makers' APO lenses (trawl photonet - Kornelius)...it makes very beautiful pics in all incarnations and though these days perhaps it may not be the last word in resolution, it is often underrated. Buy with confidence, I reckon.
Another feather in its cap...I distinctly remember some years ago Leica showcasing its ?S1 with guess which lens on the front? (Someone else may remember the details more accurately).

Last edited:

Godfrey

I just ordered a CF Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 + hood. I was realizing the other day that one of the things holding me back from using the 500CM all that much was that the Planar 80 and Sonnar 150 do not focus all that close: I have to carry close-up lenses, which I find interrupts my shooting to keep switching the close-up lens on and off the camera.

I suspect that once the 120mm arrives it will be the lens I have on the camera most of the time, just like the 35mm Macro is my most-used lens on the Olympus E-1.
The CF Makro-Planar 120mm arrived last evening. Looks to be in EXC condition, just a couple of marks from use and a slightly worn front lens cap. I like the ergonomics and feel ... Yes, this will likely be my go-to lens for the 500CM.

I'll have a chance to test it out this weekend—looking forward to it.

G

schuster

Okay, you guys (particularly Steve) have prodded me to finally get one of these lenses, after "thinking about it" for a few decades. It's a used CFE 120 Makro-Planar.

Here are my first tripod-mounted images. Hasselblad CW, Phase One IQ-160, Hasselblad automatic bellows extension. Shutter release by cable after locking up the mirror. ISO 50, daylight.

There are two images. One each made with and without the extension. The blue outline area on the full images represent accompanying cropped images.

Raw images were initially and primarily processed with Capture One, outputting to 25" x 18.7" TIFs, followed by Photoshop for minor tweaks, cropping, sizing, converting, etc.

Leigh

... outputting to 25" x 18.7" TIFs
Digital images are dimensioned in pixels, not inches.

The physical size can be whatever you want it to be, from postage stamp to billboard, based on your choice of pixels per inch.

- Leigh

Godfrey

I had a few moments to do a few snaps with the Makro-Planar 120mm yesterday using the Polaroid back and Fuji FP-100c. What a lovely lens! Very pleased with it. It's a bit bulky but that's nothing new for macro lenses.

I'll load up an A12 this week ... Maybe I'll even shoot some color film. :)

G

SHV

I'm curious to see examples of pictures with it, is that possible?
I'm not sure what would be useful for evaluation of the 135mm. The only digital back that I have is a CFV 16 so that resolution is unlikely to evaluate the 135. With that said, I've done a few "snap shots" using the 135mm with Hasselblad automatic bellows connected to a Nikon 800E. First is a random shot of bookcase using flash and max bellows; 2nd is a flower at max extension and two crops.

Steve

SHV

Maybe this might be more informative...same set up with 264mm extension...Starrett machinist rule....and crop

Steve

schuster

A few more examples of my new (used) 120mm Makro-Planar on the Hasselblad CW with IQ-160 back. Window daylight, ISO 50. The close-ups of the succulent plant and eggplant are cropped from the full images. The full image eggplant (for print) is 25"w x 18.5"h @ 360ppi. The full image of the succulent (for print) is 22"w x 25"h @ 360ppi.