Site Sponsors

Thread: Help with panorama options please

Post Thanks / Like

Help with panorama options please

Dear forum,

I currently shoot with an IQ280. I've just landed an assignment to shoot 5 panorama images in the 1:3 format, to be printed big (the rep told me it would be to the tune of at least 2m on the long scale and the company would take care of the printing, so I just have to supply the images).
    Since this would be one off trip, I would like to know whether I should consider a 617 film camera (fuji / linhof) - i would be renting or borrowing this - or whether a 6*17 crop from a IQ280 would suffice for image excellence.

This being a big company, I would really love to stand up to their expectations for future liaisons. Considering that they have 6 branches, they would probably want more of such images in the near future.

Any previous comparative experience in regards to film panoramics would be helpful here.

Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Help with panorama options please

Why not simply rotate the camera and stitch? I made a 4m print from 5 40mp frames using a 50% overlap. Or if you have a technical camera, shift and stitch.

I am not sure getting new gear and new process is the best way to approach an important project.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Stitching with your IQ280. It is the fastest & most cost effective approach to the job.

Although a 2M+ print with a single shot from 617 is no problem. If you have never used a 617 camera/ know the various films you might be considering, I wouldn't take the risk.

Film cost, processing & drum scanning will be an added expense. The scanner operator is a key part to getting a great file.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the subject matter?
    Personally, I'd rather shoot a 6x17 on film. Scanned on an Imacon / Hasselblad flextight. Any monkey can give you a great raw scan using one of those, and you can do all the editing yourself. Then again, sometimes it's better to go with the devil you know. I just hate the process of stitching!

Post Thanks / Like

The subject at hand is going to be seascapes. They want some sort of water in the picture. Therein lies my problem. Australian seas are anything but calm.

I've used PTGUI before, photoshop as well, but find myself really drawn to cropping rather than stitching. A 6x17 crop of an IQ280 image gives something like 35MP or so. I'm not sure this would hold to close inspection. Note: close inspection is not warranted here, but I know that that's what people do, I'm more likely to engage the clients if I deliver above expectation. Hence the query.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a 6 meter wide print done from a single IQ180 shot. It held up remarkably well - way better than the Peter Lik arch sunrise shot that was of similar size and mounted on the wall opposite.

I'd definitely recommend getting a test print done with an existing file. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Kind regards,

Gerald
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Seascapes... Hmmm, I'd much prefer single capture there!

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, if there is possibility of this client giving you more work and it's well enough paid, why not hire the 6x17 and shoot using both cameras? I'm not sure if Mainline in Australia rents the Technorama 6x17 with the shift adaptor, but that would be ideal for this kind of job. Scanning one of those massive negs with an Imacon / Hasselblad Flextight give an insanely good file. Also, negative film has some great advantages in terms of highlight latitude. A 35mpx crop would look pretty average at 2m...

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has done a lot of pano stitching of seascapes, I can certainly sympathise with the wish to do a single capture. But it does depend on how dominant a part of the scene the water is, how close you are to the water and how many shots you can take. If the light is steady and you can take several shots at each position in the pan, chance are you would have combinations close enough for the stitch to work out.

One tip - use PTGui for the construction of the pano, but PS for the layer blending. With moving water, i find PS blends the layers better. But PTGui does the geometry part better.

I'd say give that method a try first.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    As someone who has done a lot of pano stitching of seascapes, I can certainly sympathise with the wish to do a single capture. But it does depend on how dominant a part of the scene the water is, how close you are to the water and how many shots you can take. If the light is steady and you can take several shots at each position in the pan, chance are you would have combinations close enough for the stitch to work out.

One tip - use PTGui for the construction of the pano, but PS for the layer blending. With moving water, i find PS blends the layers better. But PTGui does the geometry part better.

I'd say give that method a try first.
    +1

Also, regarding film, is 6x17 a big enough negative for 2m prints and larger? It can be. You still need to do everything right from loading and handling film, to capture, to film processing, to scanning to file processing. I might be inclined to recommend 8x10 film given that with a view camera you will have much more control in regards to the plane of focus which IMHO is a must in larger formats when doing landscapes. But that increases the level of difficulty (and risk) a LOT if you have never used sheet film before. But 8x10 can achieve STUNNING results.

Given that you already have the best digital back ever made for landscape photography and used by great landscape photographers like Rodney Lough JR. (who makes amazing huge prints that look great even from 1 inch away) I would try to work with that setup. Fine tune the workflow and you should achieve amazing results as well.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can do the image digitally it will be better than using the 6x17. I use a Leica S2, and the resolution is better with the Leica, even if I cut it in half than it is with the 6x17. I have used 6x17s for almost 40 years. Digital is better. I would stitch the images, if you can. Currently I have 3 five foot images, 1 eight foot image and 1 24 foot image on display in a gallery. They are much sharper than one can get with the 6 x 17. Also, one can work much quicker with digital than with the 6x17. With the 6x17, I had to manually focus, advance the film, set the shutter speed and aperture and advance the film. Also with digital, one can use a higher ISO.

Hope this helps.
    Scott
    scotttanseyphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Example of 617 single shot..for an office installation here in Wash, DC.

Vietnam Wall Memorial shot with Velvia 100, 90mm Super Angulon, Drum Scanned by Lenny Eiger on Aztek Premier.

Crop is of 10 foot print. The viewer can easily read every name on the wall at close inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 1.8 metre wide 300 dpi print for a client (two-third sea, one-third sky).

I used a Nikon D300s, of all cameras, using a Zeiss 50mm macro. I married it with a Novoflex Panorama VR-System II (very well built), enquired to Zeiss what the nodal point of the lens was, and stitched the resulting images.

My main problem was getting the exposure right but that was easily fixed in Photoshop prior to the actual stitching. Surprisingly, the sea itself wasn't an issue after stitching - force 6 at the time although the sea was distant from an 80 metre cliff. However, if you are taken closer images of the sea then stitching will not work as they'll be way too much variation between images unless the sea is a flat calm, or you are exceptionally quick at panning.

If shooting further away and the waves are smaller then any mismatches among the waves could be sorted easily by using healing brush (the one where you select a similar piece of image and then 'heal' - sorry, I forget the exact name of the tool). There was no distortion of the horizon using the right technique. There was extra processing time involved but not enough to warrant the contract becoming economically unviable.

...and I'm sure using the IQ280 will do a better job than the D300s using the same equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

While it is obvious you know what you talk about – as evidenced by the great work on your website – I respectfully disagree. A scanned 6x17cm image exposed on say Ektar 100 is stunning and the fine grain of the film enlarges very well. I agree that the process of using a panoramic camera is a lot slower, but I think film enlarges with more grace, so to speak. Again, you are obviously very well informed and practiced in this area, I just wanted to offer a contrary opinion.

PS: I don't think this is necessarily a film vs. digital debate, rather a single shot vs. stitch debate. If the scene allows for a multi-shot stitch from a 80mpx back, that would certainly be a better option, or at least give a file with dramatically more resolution. If not, a well scanned 6x17cm negative would be my personal preferred option. And for the record, if I could afford an IQ160 or better, I'd buy one today and never expose another roll of film again...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tansey View Post
    If you can do the image digitally it will be better than using the 6x17. I use a Leica S2, and the resolution is better with the Leica, even if I cut it in half than it is with the 6x17. I have used 6x17s for almost 40 years. Digital is better. I would stitch the images, if you can. Currently I have 3 five foot images, 1 eight foot image and 1 24 foot image on display in a gallery. They are much sharper than one can get with the 6 x 17. Also, one can work much quicker with digital than with the 6x17. With the 6x17, I had to manually focus, advance the film, set the shutter speed and aperture and advance the film. Also with digital, one can use a higher ISO.

Hope this helps.
    Scott
    scotttanseyphoto.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

seems like you also have to compare the lens behavior out near the fringe of the image circle when shooting a 17cm wide image

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you crop your IQ280, then you have a built in rise/fall. Cropping just at the bottom of the frame is like raising the lens, cropping the top, like lowering the lens. If you want a 6x17 camera with rise/fall, the Horseman SW617 will have that and it also takes a ground glass.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the august replies. So, from what I gather, opinion seems to be divided. So, it boils down to 617 vs cropped IQ280 file. Of course, if stitching is possible, I would, but say, just say, I was inspired by this dude, a single shot becomes a necessity: Galerie de Photos de Phares - Plisson.com
    Horseman, I haven't actually considered. there is a good 6x12 version available on ebay.

My gut feeling is to consider a single frame of IQ280 (how I wish it was a 2x3) and maximize my workflow this week. Then upsize at pixel level with LR or GF, and give a trial print at 44 inches broad. what say ? Thing is, it leaves me no time for preparation if I have to change my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should do what you said AND rent a 617 camera and shoot it with Provia and test both setup. This sounds like real $$$ so you want the best option! I know you can print 2 meters easily from a 617.

FWIW, here's a single shot 617, I think 1 minute exposure. Can't stitch this :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

5 vertically stitched frames:

Post Thanks / Like

How much time will you have to shoot your subject matter? Why not plan to stitch but also take a single shot? That's what I always do when I go for panos. That way if you have weird artifacts after stitching (with moving water, etc) you have the single shot to fall back on. It also presents a safety net if something technically goes wrong with the pano sequence. For example, I have a bad habit of forgetting to set exposure to "manual", which can create problems when stitching...and that's where the single shot comes in to save my butt.

Water can present a challenge but you might be surprised how well software can handle it depending on the situation. I just did some panos of a lake where the winds were prob 20-30mph and I can't find any weirdness in the water upon closer examination when using photoshop for stich. Ended up with 4-6ft wide native files.

If it were me, I'd also prob want to take a 6x17 film camera alongside the 280 on principal (I keep looking at them on ebay), but I'm not terribly experienced with film and worry that it would actually hinder my process. Just make sure whatever route you decide to do, go with the route where you are confident in the workflow and know you'll get a good result. I don't think you can wrong with any of the options you suggest. I've made some nice single shot 1:3 crops from my 40mp back that look acceptable to me printed as large as 5m, so I think you'd be just fine with that option on a 280 hehe.

Also, if someone (Phase, Hassy, Sony, Pentax, whoever) started making MF digital 6x17s, I would not be mad

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting perspectives. I'm being drawn in to stitching.
    Will, that five shot pano looks really righteous. Considering that there are fast moving low level clouds, ripples on the lake, likely moving leaves as well.
    So what hardware do you guys suggest ? The gigapan looks really inviting, but not sure that it would take a DF+ and 75-150 attached, although it might take my STC. Using 40HR, what's the maximum shift latitude you can get if I were to shift-stitch 2x horizontals ? Obviously the LCC would impede the swiftness of the job if I had a shot like Will's.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

panos are a lot of fun, here is a 15 shot 270 degree view, IQ160 and rodie 70. biggest problem is evening out the light as you move around the sky. i usually overlap at least 1/3. and i have had better results with autpano giga. also if you shoot right to left, the images are laid out in natural order in C1 thumbnails

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you give it a try if you wanna shoot panorama with subject not moving crazily fast?
    overview
    It works pretty well in terms of image quality and work flow. The lens choice is versatile, too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    Interesting perspectives. I'm being drawn in to stitching.
    Will, that five shot pano looks really righteous. Considering that there are fast moving low level clouds, ripples on the lake, likely moving leaves as well.
    So what hardware do you guys suggest ? The gigapan looks really inviting, but not sure that it would take a DF+ and 75-150 attached, although it might take my STC. Using 40HR, what's the maximum shift latitude you can get if I were to shift-stitch 2x horizontals ? Obviously the LCC would impede the swiftness of the job if I had a shot like Will's.
    Thank you.

As far as the pano I posted, I simply had the camera vertically mounted on an Arca Swiss p0 which was leveled and I used a 120mm lens. I manually swung the camera. I shoot for a 50% overlap. I have a gridded screen in my viewfinder which makes judging the overlap easy.

I did get a nodal rail for stitching, but I found in most cases, it was unnecessary. Where a slide or rail comes in handy is when there are a lot of foreground and background features, like shooting in a forest.

BTW, if you are swinging the camera, having long focal lengths give the illusion of a rectilinear projection. With the posted pano, it is a cylindrical projection, but the focal length hides it. Using wides will cause more projection artifacts--they are really not distortions as if you curve the print and view from the relative camera position it will look natural.

I would go out and try some panos. Go to places you think they will work and try some places you think they will not. It helps to get an idea how far you can push these. I do many panos handheld and PS deals with them nicely. But they are addictive and they can be disk hogs.
    Will

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    Also, if someone (Phase, Hassy, Sony, Pentax, whoever) started making MF digital 6x17s, I would not be mad
    Well, there are options if you have the budget. Seitz (who actually build Alpa cameras) have a scanning 6x17 digital solution.
    Seitz 617 Digital
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    ...Using 40HR, what's the maximum shift latitude you can get if I were to shift-stitch 2x horizontals ? Obviously the LCC would impede the swiftness of the job if I had a shot like Will's.
    STC shifted horizontally 18mm each way, cropped to 6x17 gives you a 18.2mm equivalent focal length in 135 format. That's pretty darn wide. Depending on the shot (and if the output is color vs B&W), you will probably get 10-15mm of shift that is usable and "blend-able". If that's a word.

If you can only go out to 10mm due to LCC limitations, then your final 6x17 format will be 73.7x26. That is still a pretty-wide 22mm equivalent diagonal, and a 71MP image.

Unless 1) that is not wide enough, or 2) you want big frozen wave action, I think shifting the STC is a good option. Because you have an interest in wide angles for this shot, I'm guessing you don't want big frozen waves since the wide will make the waves far and small in the image. Of course if you do a long exposure to create the misty effect, then you can shift / stitch to your heart's content.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Well, there are options if you have the budget. Seitz (who actually build Alpa cameras) have a scanning 6x17 digital solution.
    Seitz 617 Digital
    Graham,

How much does it cost?
    Anyone owns this camera?

Thanks,
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's an overview with prices here: 6x17 Digital Camera Seitz

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    There's an overview with prices here: 6x17 Digital Camera Seitz
    Thanks very much Stephen! Have to wait for the next Bull market.

Pramote

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cant believe graham doesn't have one!
    does look interesting, 8micron sensor cells is in the fat pixel camp (6cm/7500 cells).

use must be demanding; next will be setting it vertical and stitching sideways

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How do you know Graham doesn't have one?
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh yeah I forgot about the Seitz. I guess I meant I'd like to see a non-scanning back 6x17. Even if I did have that kinda money laying around the 10 sec max exposure time is a little too limiting. Also, I'm getting spoiled by a lot of the digital cams coming out these days and the 11 stop DR (advertised) of the Seitz doesn't sound too appealing for that kind of money. Would rather stitch with a 280 for that price. Would be fun to rent one and try it but it looks like you have to pick it up at the factory?

As far as pano hardware goes, I usually just use a panning clamp (PC-PRO Quick-Release Clamp). I also have a nodal slide but don't really use it that much. Because I use zoom lenses a lot, I've been way too lazy to figure out the nodal positions for each focal length on the zoom haha. As someone else already mentioned, unless you have a lot of subject matter in the foreground, parallax isn't a huge issue when shooting mainly at or near infinity, and a nodal slide isn't necessary. I also shoot vertically when I stitch so that I use the long end of the sensor for the height. Also, you want to try and avoid using wide angle lenses when shooting for pano because they tend to have more distortion, which can create problems when stitching. You should be fine with a single row pano, you'll need a little more hardware for a multi row pano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I follow the same approach as Dave Chew and typically use my Alpa STC and stitch using the panoramic shift movements. However, there's a lot of merit in covering your bases too when shooting.

And no, I don't have the Seitz (although trust me if I had the means ... ) so I just slum it with my Fuji 617 instead

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what the hell, graham, it's only 1/3 of the range rover

seems like it is the lens coverage that is most demanding, since the scanning back is similar to a lot of shifting.

maybe i'll get creative and make a huge L/R shifting back for my cambo IQ160 rig (+/- 15mm ain't enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    what the hell, graham, it's only 1/3 of the range rover
    That's the logic that got me set up with an Alpa & Phase One systems along with the IQ160/260 backs. That time Guy played his Jedi mind tricks on me and had me upgrading my camera system vs buying that new car. I'm not falling for it again

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    seems like it is the lens coverage that is most demanding, since the scanning back is similar to a lot of shifting.

maybe i'll get creative and make a huge L/R shifting back for my cambo IQ160 rig (+/- 15mm ain't enough?
    That would be cool - I'm surprised actually that someone hasn't come out with an equivalent shift pano tech camera to provide the equivalent of 617 or 612. Ultimately I suppose the rationale is that you can always shoot and crop down to any ratio if you've got enough source pixels. Keeping the sky consistent with shifts, even with good LCCs, is still one of the downsides vs a full frame pano capture.

I'd still buy a digital equivalent to an Xpan in 35mm. Having the crop VF I think is part of the magic of composing and shooting panoramics.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I follow the same approach as Dave Chew and typically use my Alpa STC and stitch using the panoramic shift movements. However, there's a lot of merit in covering your bases too when shooting.

And no, I don't have the Seitz (although trust me if I had the means ... ) so I just slum it with my Fuji 617 instead

I don't know. Anyone that uses an Alpa to frame their iPhone shots doesn't seem like they are really "slumming" it...
    Will

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I don't know. Anyone that uses an Alpa to frame their iPhone shots doesn't seem like they are really "slumming" it...
    You can never have too much tripod, too stable a head or too good a viewfinder

The iPhone shoots 6x17 natively like a champ too. (645Pro app).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IQ260 Achromat

IQ180

IQ180

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would use the IQ280 and rent/borrow/buy a 617.

Contrary to what some have said in the thread, scanning film is no easy task. So much so that I sent many slides out for scanning, and was completely unhappy with the results. So i bought my own imacon, it took me months to learn the ins and outs of the Imacon, before I started getting great results. It also took months to learn the ins and outs of RVP50, what works what doesnt.

So if you have the system you know, the 280 and a system you don't know, a 617, you cover your basis.

That said I have great pano shots from both iq180 and Fuji 617, both of which can print extremely large with proper technique. I will say at that size, the IQs files will be cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Thanks for the options guys. .It seems like an awful lot to learn and do before I am happy with the 617 and confident enough to take it out as a sole system. Must admit, part of it was fuelled by the prospect of using film - I do get a bit nostalgic about film even now.
    Nodal stitching for digital. With the IQ280 / DF or Tech combinations, below what focal lengths would you consider nodal stitch a necessity as opposed to panning only? In fact, can anyone recommend a good book or learning resource on these matters ?
    Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

The iPhone shoots 6x17 natively like a champ too. (645Pro app).
    Speaking of which...I'm impressed with how good the iPhone sweep panoramas are. Mine have always been quick handheld grabs (as I've usually got a child hanging off me whenever I'm anywhere photogenic ), so horizons can be a bit wavy...but I imagine that with a tripod and a proper phone holder, results could be pretty solid. I guess this is a "3rd way" to make long aspect-ratio shots: crop, stitch, or sweep. Will we see CMOS MFD backs/cameras which can internally process sweeps?

They say that the best camera is the one you have on you...and all I had on me was my iPhone 4S. I wanted to capture the reflected clouds, the golden light, the empty expanse of beach, and my family exploring it (my wife's on the left, my two daughters right of centre, and my 1.5 y.o. son is under the frame border, gnawing at my knees).

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you never want to miss the shoot, I would recommend a Ricoh Theta. The problem is hiding the photographer.

Will

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Will, as we say in these parts - that's a mad yoke.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    If you never want to miss the shoot, I would recommend a Ricoh Theta. The problem is hiding the photographer.

Dammit Will! You are a cruel cruel man. I just had to order one!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit Will! You are a cruel cruel man. I just had to order one!!
    When can I borrow it Graham? Thinking Ken's wedding maybe?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I think this a tough choice. The options:
    - Use the IQ280 and crop. Is the resolution enough ? It's hard to say, as it mostly depends on the clients / shooters expectations. Maybe a test could be made, to see how a known scene (similar to the final picture) printed large looks like ? Just print a portion of it, but at the same resolution.
    - Using film can be easy or tough. I used an X-pan for a while. It was nice, but I did not like having to wait to develop the film to see if the picture was a success. Immediate feedback is very important for me (i.e I screw up a lot, and want to see if there's something wrong and re-shoot immediately). What can go wrong ? Well, you name it: exposure (remember, Film doesn't have a histogram - doh !), composition (the Xpan, and also the 617 are not SLR, so there can be parallax, and accurate framing has a learning curve), tilted horizon (the panoramic format demands a very accurate leveling), etc...
    - Stitching can be easy, or not. I do lots of stitches, but have learned in which situations I have to be extra careful. If you don't have a foreground split between two images and/or moving objects (yes, big rolling waves, I'm talking to you !) between frames, it's really easy. But sometimes it's not. And it's hard to know while taking the pictures (unless you assemble the panorama on the spot). The wave problem can be mitigated by taking long exposures (that helps to blend the images, and the waves become smooth), but it changes the look of the images.
    - The Seitz. Yeah. That looks sweet :-)

If I were the OP, I would test at least the cropping and stitching on "test scenes". Or rent the Seitz if that's at all possible. Otherwise, the risk of screwing up during the real shoot would be too high for me...

Post Thanks / Like

BTW LuLa recently had a couple tutorials on panos and stitching you may find helpful:

Having Fun With Panoramas

Post Processing Panoramas

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I have printed a 2x1 metres from a single 60mp file and the result was excellent. Two factors that helped was that it was printed on canvas and the original file was shot with all the bells and whistles with tech stuff to maximize quality.
    In fact, it visually impressed enough to encourage to print the same size on high grade paper....
    Thus, with an 80mp back and tech setup I wouldn't worry that the file isn't good enough for large prints.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Many many thanks for the above replies.
    For now, I have decided to stick with the MF digital ( with a small variation - see below). I have found that 6x17 cropped frame on the IQ280 is more than enough for my needs for now. (No need to change systems, - yea !! )

Offshoot, I came across a mint Xpan on ebay and promply bought it. Still waiting on batteries, but boy, am I excited ? So the other thing I wanted to mention was that I am planning on trying the IQ 280 to digitize the film from xpan. Has anyone tried this? MF digitization of film ? - I think its completely counterintuitive, and perhaps I am going bonkers, (but the good wife knew that already !! ) Wonder how it would stack up against the Imacons and Drums.
    Best,
    Saty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post

They say that the best camera is the one you have on you...and all I had on me was my iPhone 4S.
    Ray
    Not relevant but if you have an iPhone, ask Siri where the nearest camera store is ... sometimes it gives you the nearest store, but often it says “what’s wrong the camera you are holding?” or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    +1
    Given that you already have the best digital back ever made for landscape photography and used by great landscape photographers like Rodney Lough JR. (who makes amazing huge prints that look great even from 1 inch away) I would try to work with that setup.
    took a workshop from him (which changed my capture and workflow processes dramatically). Virtually 100% of his digital work is stitched. If he needs to get it all in one capture such as seascapes, he still uses 8x10 film if he can. That’s until he runs out of Astia (he thinks very little of other fuji films because they don’t capture the colors accurately). He’s hoping by then the digital options have improved.

That being said, 2m isn’t a real stretch for a single IQ180 capture if done well, especially of a seascape where most of it is probably going to be soft without detail. Personally I think it would take some pretty close examination (maybe with a loupe) to tell the 6x17 film capture from the IQ180. I just printed an 8 foot pano from a single capture which I thought had no chance of holding up. A tall waterfall with a lot of detail in the rocks and moss. When I sent it to the printer it was only about 70dpi. I was pretty shocked at how well it held up ... even up close. Sitting in my store it gets commented on all the time. But then again, I’ve printed 6 foot panos from others that I didn’t like where a 6x17 might have done better if I had a great lens, and a perfect shot. Images where the detail was just too small to record so it mushed up when enlarged. (although the tech camera lenses I use now would also do better in these cases.)
    The 6x17 may resolve slightly more and to the point of an earlier post it may enlarge a little more gracefully (although current software to enlarge images is getting very good and minimizing artifacts.).
    wayne
    My gallery