The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking in the Wind Rivers: Planning, Decisions and Other Musings

dchew

Dave -

There is an old British rule about packing: lay everything out that you need, and take half.

Talk about not helping! :)

Hope you are still coming to Silo City in October tho….
Then repeat! :)

Seriously everyone has helped. It is nice to hear different opinions other than my own little gnomes on each shoulder: "Take it!" "Leave it!"

Regarding Silo City, I may have to go Friday night. Not sure if I can get out of a meeting on Thursday in FL.

Dave

jlm

Workshop Member
some info on ultralight backpacking. i use a lot of golite gear

my big agnes tent (3 season) for two, for example weighs about 3 lbs, my pack about 2, sleeping bag (20degree) less than 2.

some of these enthusiasts get really crazy, but i was comfortably able to reduce my typical 5 night total load from 45 lbs to 20lbs, a huge difference. hiking at 8,000 ft, summer weather, prepared for rain and lows reaching 30 degrees, no climbing gear

Ultralight Backpacking

dchew

some info on ultralight backpacking. i use a lot of golite gear

my big agnes tent (3 season) for two, for example weighs about 3 lbs, my pack about 2, sleeping bag (20degree) less than 2.

some of these enthusiasts get really crazy, but i was comfortably able to reduce my typical 5 night total load from 45 lbs to 20lbs, a huge difference. hiking at 8,000 ft, summer weather, prepared for rain and lows reaching 30 degrees, no climbing gear

Ultralight Backpacking
John,
Love Big Agnes. I'm bringing the BA Fly Creek UL3 (I'm too big for the 2). 3.5 lbs. The Boreas pack is 3 lbs. I've had my sleeping bag for so long I don't know what it weighs, but it is 700 fill down so not bad, but not the latest light-weight technology.

Without cameras I'm at 28lbs including ice axe, light short rope for simple belays, minimalist crampons, food and water - all in. BTW, I'm convinced there is no better basic mountain axe than the Black Diamond Raven Pro. A full-on ice axe, less than a pound and less than $100. I've had mine for 10 years, still going strong.

Dave

jlm

Workshop Member
i stopped using nalgene water bottle and instead use garden variety bottle from the grocery store, saves several ounces!

also lose those super heavy stuff sacks, he-he. i carry a super light down sweater and superlight shell and pack from Golite, makes my North face parka and down jacket and Mountain smith pack seem like a joke. that swap out alone saved about 6-8 lbs! i use freeze dried meals and now a MSR combo stove windscreen pot unit that is a huge fuel saver. boils in a nanosecond.

i have the same ice axe!

and my tent us the U-2 fly creek, big enough for two!

me on the left, my son on the right, at near 22,000 near Makkalu at Sherpani Col or West col, not sure, in Nepal a few years back during a 6 week trek. with the black diamond and northface mountainsmith gear. we were privileged to have had sherpas to do the real work!

Last edited:

dchew

Thanks Peter! When I first figured the Satori was going to be too small I went on-line and found the straps, but not the bag. Probably would have made the pack workable for me, but they are out of stock, and out of the straps as well. Obviously I could get other straps or use cord, and use any sack strapped to the bag for that matter. But after all that the Boreas just makes more sense for this trip.

Still love the F-Stop bags though.

Dave

dchew

i stopped using nalgene water bottle and instead use garden variety bottle from the grocery store, saves several ounces!

also lose those super heavy stuff sacks, he-he. i carry a super light down sweater and superlight shell and pack from Golite, makes my North face parka and down jacket and Mountain smith pack seem like a joke. that swap out alone saved about 6-8 lbs! i use freeze dried meals and now a MSR combo stove windscreen pot unit that is a huge fuel saver. boils in a nanosecond.

i have the same ice axe!

and my tent us the U-2 fly creek, big enough for two!

me on the left at 22,000 near Makkalu at Sherpani Col in Nepal a few years back during a 6 week trek. with the black diamond and northface mountainsmith gear. we were privileged to have had sherpas to do the real work!
That's awesome John, must have been a lifetime experience. I've thought about going to the Himalaya, but trekking around K2 is actually higher on my bucket list. Someday!

I almost got the UL2, but my brother convinced me to get the 3; I guess he and I don't like each other that much! :) At least in trade he agreed to carry more of the other stuff.

Some of those stuff sacks will get removed, like the tent, thermarest and a few others. but I hate struggling with a puffy sleeping bag in the backpack, so that one will stay. It's smaller than the sack that came with the bag, but I cram it in there. We are bringing a similar stove, but my brother has that - I forget which one. I have the Patagonia Nanopuff pullover that I like very much, and a shell over that so you and I are similar there too.

The Nalgene is interesting. More nostalgic than anything else. It is from Teton Mountaineering back in the 1970's. Been everywhere with me, along with its BPA no doubt! My Linus Blanket, if you will. Ask Don Libby; I even sent him a picture of it months ago. I also now use a Steripen, which is much easier paired with a wide-mouth. I know chlorine tabs are lighter, but I grew up on well water w/o chlorine. Hey, we all have our limits! Plus, chlorine isn't so great on giardia and especially not on crypto.

Dave

jlm

Workshop Member
o yeah; last season i tried out one of those gravity water filters; amazing. won't use anything else. fill the bag, hang it on a tree and let it drain into your bottle, fast and no pumping and light weight, no giardia. all my Pur stuff is obsolete. never could stomach tablets. in Nepal, we pumped some nasty stuff through that PUR and it worked perfectly, but now I'm all gravity fed.
i sleep pretty warm, so for 30-40 degree minimum, i use one of those top only down quilts (on an air pad) weighs less than 1 lb, stuffs into your fist practically.

the himalayan trek was the trip of a lifetime; took my first autofocus camera (a film Nikon) and one zoom lens!, shot about 20 rolls

a lunch stop at about 17,000 ft, Ama Dablam in the background, i think Everest is to the left in the distance and seems lower. a two day stayover for acclimatizing,. this was our noon day hike before going to 19,500 everest base camp and kala patar, our high altitude "test" about 10 days in

stephengilbert

How far we've come. I remember when you could drink the water in the high Sierras in California.

That must have been before the invention of giardia. :)

Last edited:
i carry a super light down sweater and superlight shell and pack from Golite, makes my North face parka and down jacket and Mountain smith pack seem like a joke.
Not sure this is the place, but I don't think I would be bringing Golite gear on a trip like this. Sure it is very light, but I think cheap and fragile is the best way to describe the materials and construction. It used to be great stuff, but that seems to have passed and they don't really stand behind their products like they used to. As is the case in life, you get what you pay for and Golite is typical Chinese disposable gear. Makes me sad to write this.

jlm

Workshop Member
i have gone through 3 Mountain smith packs and one Osprey, all failed one way or another. my very old sierra design frame with customized jansport bag is still kicking around now after 40 years; now on my second Golite pack as wife and i each have one with no problems. one advantage of ultralite packing is less load wear on the gear, including your feet; literally carrying 20 to 30 lbs less than the old days. i've not had any problems with golite, but i'm a one-trip per season guy now and usually out about 5 nights, typically pacific crest trail kind of thing, no more mountaineering

my current pack:
http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

and sleeping bag:
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_ghost.htm

big agnes fly creek; has held up extremely well in a monster lighting rain windstorm near Middle sister:
http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_...m_medium=dfm&gclid=CKmaoIiCt8ACFZTm7AodGzwAQw

and stove:
http://www.backcountryedge.com/msr-reactor-1-stove-system.aspx

and water filter:
http://www.rei.com/product/849794/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-reservoir-kit-2-liter.

when two people share the filter, tent and stove, the load gets way down there

Last edited:

BlinkingEye

I agree with the guy(s) above who discussed the F-Stopper bags. Their bags are great and well made. IMHO they are volume limited. The bag at the link below is what I would be looking at, and have used if I was looking at camping, climbing and camera gear. Made for a big load with a great suspension system. I have used the f-stopper bags as well as the bag below there is no bag in the marketplace that has as large a payload ability and yet have camera specific features.

The build could be a bit more robust in a couple of places (I blew-out a zipper) but the price is right when compared to the price of other (smaller) bags. Why a real pack maker like: LowePro, Gregory, Mountainsmith or Osprey doesn't make a real hardcore (large) expedition quality bag like the one below is beyond me.

I have been carrying rucksacks into the back country for 40 years. The one below is as comfortable as nearly any under a big load. Let's face it, none are fun under a big load.

Adventure K5 v2 80L Hiking Camera Pack

jlm

Workshop Member
well, the title does say musings...

i think this is sherapni col:

panch pokari; an isolated glacier moraine area of 5 lakes, elevation over 20,000.

the earlier group shot was at the far end, two days later; sherpani col and west col at the far end in the distance

taken on a trek much like this one, back in '93 or so, but we did the other direction; without a doubt one of the best trips of my life; went with my 25 yr old son and four friends and an entourage of sherpas. a lot of consecutive nights in a tent!
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/nepal/t...everest-traverse-via-sherpani-col-simon-yates

Last edited:

dchew

Well, all packed, heading for the airport. Here is a link to my SPOT device page. I will turn it on tomorrow.

Wind Rivers Tracking page

My plan at this point is to keep it simple on the first trip in, then if I'm desperately missing something bring it on the second if my back can justify it.

Ciao,
Dave

dchew

A quick check in. Got back from the first trip yesterday afternoon. Marvelous time, but the weather was unpredictable. Snow/rain/ice from the first evening through the second. Got a few shots, but we were socked in most of the time with solid low clouds and wind. Still hiked every day, total of about 35 miles. Had a few breaks where the light was ok, so it was a great time.

In regards to gear choices, I brought both the 60 and 90. Glad I did, seemed like the right combo for what I was shooting. At the last minute I took the BH40 instead of the A/S D4 because of the weight savings. Let's just say tomorrow when I go back in the D4 will be with me not the ball head. And yes, the Alpa will be with me tomorrow too!

Anyway, I will try to post an image later.

Dave

dchew

Here is a quick rendering of an image from above Island Lake. The storm finally broke up Sunday night. We left Island Lake and camped above at the pass. In the morning I scrambled up a knob above the lake for the sunrise. It was chilly!

This one is a single image 90hr @ ~f/8.

Still needs a lot of work. Color isn't right and need to bring out some things. But I'm out of time...

Dave

dchew

Thank's John. Here is a recap of the trip:

Day 1: Elkhart Park to Island Lake
We habitually plan to underestimate how far we can go, so we planned on stopping somewhere around Seneca Lake. But we felt pretty good, and it was cooling off as the day went on, which helped – to a point; more on that later. It was nice to see a few flowers still in bloom:

We got to Photographer’s Point by 10am, which is the first good view of the range. The light was pretty harsh, but set up for a two-shot stitch anyway.

Then about an hour later the sun went behind a hazy cloud and I got a shot I like better handheld with the Sony. This also shows the many ~500 foot vertical rises and falls along the trail that make the hike so tiring even though the overall difference in elevation between the trailhead and the destination is only about 1500 feet.

After another two hours we were getting closer to Seneca Lake. Stopped to break and eat, found this small alcove of trees. Not long after we reached Seneca Lake. Note the difference in the cloud cover.

This shows the terrain around Island Lake pretty well. It is the last down/up before the lake, which is just beyond the closest pass left-center.

We had just enough time to make dinner before it rained and hailed hard. After that wave went through we had a fleeting rainbow.

Day 2: Titcomb Basin
That night we were buffeted by many storms. Ice/snow on the tent in the morning. We decided to head out to Titcomb Basin in the hopes things would clear up. It was way too windy to take advantage of the cloud cover for flowers or other close subjects. Most of the day looked like this:

But we did get a few quick breaks long enough to pull out the Alpa. Both of these are two-image vertical stitches with the 90hr. From then on it snowed with little visibility.

Day 3: Back to Elhart Lake
At night things started to break up, and the next morning it was a fine sunrise. This is from a small peak just SW of Island Lake with the 90hr:

And with the Leica 90:

I have only a few photos from the hike back. Must have been tired. There was a small lake with some soft light:

Day 4: Green River Lakes
We decided to take a rest day, so we drove over to the Green River Lakes Trailhead and hiked a few miles. Standard shot of Squaretop in bad light from the lake:

On the drive there is a small stream that is actually a warm spring. The plaque highlights a small fish that was separated by a waterfall from any connection with other species of fish. Now endangered since this is the only stream where it lives. The stream is less than ¼ mile long. I tried the ND64 on the falls:

Day 5: New Fork Lakes to Lozier Lakes
This was the high point of the trip. The day was one of the best days backpacking I’ve ever had. There was a bit of everything on this trail: Meadow, forest, deep canyon, scree, switchbacks, talus, wind, river crossing… Marvelous day.

Yours truly, looking not-so-dapper in my Patagonia Baggies and wool socks.

New Fork Canyon has almost a Yosemite feel:

Camping at Lozier Lakes

Day 6: Lozier Lakes to Lake 11,360
We planned to hike off trail from the pass between Lozier Lakes and Clark Lake over to Thompson and Hidden Lakes. While we were exploring that whole area, we found what seemed to be a great place to spend the night, on a col above Lake 11,360 just NW of Glover Peak. Here is the view we had and the site.

As the sun got low, clouds came in. It was iffy whether we would see any sunset, but in the end the clouds opened and I got lucky.

Day 7: All the way back
The next day we woke up to another light show.

Then decided to hoof it all the way back. Near the end of the trip the trail went through a recent forest fire.

I ended up taking 1100+ photos. I used only two Phase batteries and one Sony. However I came back and recharged everything in between the trips. So I probably really went through 3 phase and 2 Sony. The batteries lasted longer than I thought, and it was cold in the mornings and nights. As long as I slept with the batteries they were fine. I would put 2 P1 and 1 Sony in my shirt pocket in the sleeping bag.

As predicted by many, I didn't use the ground glass much, so I left that in the car for the second trip. Also as previously mentioned I swapped the BH40 for the D4. I wasn’t using live view for battery savings, so making small adjustments with the BH40 was driving me crazy.

We hiked 70 miles in 6 days, which was more than we thought we would do. All in all a great time, some good photos, and wonderful experience. I strongly recommend the Wind Rivers. They are one of the best locations for pure backpacking and/or climbing.

Thanks for everyone's help, wisdom and patience.

Dave

PS: After refining my equipment from the first trip, I brought with me:
RRS 24L
Arca Swiss D4
Sony a7r
35mm Sony FE f/2.8
90mm Leica 90 f/2
Alpa STC / IQ180
SK 60xl
Rodi 90hr
4 Phase batteries
3 Sony batteries
ProND 64
55mm polarizer for the Sony
49-55 step up ring
72mm polarizer for the Alpa
(2) Alpa sync release switches – 1 for each lens
Alpa sync cord
Spare Phase sync cord (no wake up feature)
Hex wrenches for tripod and camera plates
Leica Disto 7500i
The usual cloths & LCC card
(2) 32 gb CF cards
(1) 8 gb CF card w/ firmware
(2) 16 gb SD cards

Last edited:

weinlamm

Hey Dave,

thanks for showing your pictures here. I hadn't seen such a big collection of really great pictures for a long time. :thumbs: I nearly loved them all - but my favorite would be "Sunset over the Wind River" (stiched or cropped...?)

Very intersting to see all the different kinds of landscapes there. So I'm a little bit sad that I'm not in your area - here nearly everythings looks the same. :rolleyes:
But my wife said for me the last time "let us have a bigger walk through our national park (only a bigger wooded area, but a national park). Perhaps your pictures are the necessary occurs in my ***...

Really really great pictures! Thanks for showing! :thumbs: